MARSHALLESE ROYAL FAMILY,DOES IT STILL EXIST???

edited January 2013 in General
Im proud to be half marshallese but i've never set foot in the RMI so im curious does the marshall islands still have a royal family,and does that family still controll the Marshall islands.My class mate says he is part of the(KABUA)family he says that the "kabua" are the rulling family in the marshall islands.IS IT TRUE.

Comments

• Yeah the name kabua is the name they are known by,and yeah they still exist but they dont controll the islands and much as they did a 100 or 200 years ago.there are many branches of the "KABUA" FAMILY tree,there the branch that owns many islands in the eastern marshall islands,and theres a branch that controll the western marshall islands.
  • so the RMI is a constitutional monarchy in a way right? i thought it was a democracy?
  • edited January 2013
    Blaze,
    you hear it correct man,when a chiefs from the Kabua lineage would die they would bury a live person with him or her so that the live person can accompany the chief to the next world as a servant,the custom of burying a living person with the dead Chief is called "URA".
  • @WhoamI like Reaper said the Kabua family still exist to this day,and yes and no The RMI is a democracy,but the chiefs have say in the way the Goverment is being run cause marshallese still revere the chiefs because they are a link to the past and our customs,but they the KBAUA are not as powerful as they were back then.
  • Those people were alway happy to take the honor, there were no force done,  just so you know.. Ibelive our ancestors were aware of the next life, thats why there werer need for someone to man the chief's big canoe on this journey....  I would ask you to go watch the "zulu".. same practice was done to their chief and Im wondering how that simlarity came to be... still wondering!

• edited January 2013
    weeded! weeeeeeeeedredr! So lucky Marshallese girls don't like me....I would have been the one to go with a dead king, as a commoner....hahahahahaha!

But seriously, I would not want to think that this is still practiced today.
  • i think the last time they practice that was when the german were the owners of micronesia.
  • edited January 2013
    so to people threat them kabuas different? do they get money from the RMI goverment and stuff like that?
  • you see Blaze in the RMI,everybody belongs to a different clan or as the europeans would call it a tribe,and every clan in the Marshall islands have a specific Job for a specific time.like this clan in RMI called "Ri-BAKO"(shark people)they can swim in the ocean but not get bitten by sharks,another one called "MAKAULEEJ"(those who walk on graves)they can walk by or on the graves of the high chiefs or kings without being punished or killed.
  • edited January 2013
    The kabuas are one of the well to do families in the islands,in another way they rich cause you know that islands kwajlein where the US do all the missiles tests at well them kabuas own that entire atoll,and the U.S give them money,the head of the kabua family alone gets 1Million dollars a month from the U.S of A,in a year this guy gets around like 12million dollars and this dude has been the head of the Kabua family for like 4-6 years.
  • shit man 1 million a month,thats insane.what does he do with it.

@Stonez
    So how many clan are in the marshall islands ha?,by the way what tribe did they sacrifice when a chief die man.

• ejelok in word...yokwe yuk Whoaml..idok kijen edalim rak...heheheh..1/16 marshallese here...
  • Aww mahn?! Millions in just months? Why weren't any of us a Kabuas? I'm poor as shit.
  • edited January 2013

The lease agreement for the US to use the Kwajalein Atoll is 63 years (up to the year 2066) since 2003, with a possibility of an extension for another 20 years (total of 83 years). Since 2003, the lease was 11 million anually which the landowners thought was too low. Next year, 2014 that amount will increase to 18 million anually.

So yes, Reaper is correct. There are some rich people amongst us.

• WhoamI
    there are many clans in the RMI,but to name them in this forum is considered a disrespect,and im sorry i ever put their name in here,so any marshallese in here i apologies.
  • I know some marshallese that claimed the some of the KABUAs are corrupt and dont care about the wellfare of the islands but themself.
  • edited January 2013
    WhoamI man yeah some marshallese may feel that way i even feel the same way too,but get this man you a half blooded marshallese and you american born and raised so you have no business talking about our chiefs like that man,im gonna be honest i dont like some of the KABUA either but thats how things are.
  • so what if im american raised but im still half marshallese and i know some of them kabuas,i went to school with some of them and they had this idea like since they royalty everybody must threat them with respect.just because they are grandchildren of the king or related to hime they act bossy and shit.
  • I dont want to sound like traitor but i have to agree with WhoamI.come to think about this is the modern age and we still kowtow to some of the kabuas man,and some of the kabuas act dump too.
  • edited January 2013
    Stonez
    how the Fuck can you say that man,they may act like that but still they are our chiefs and leaders,chosen by god to lead us.THIS KIND OF TALKIN COMMING FROM YOU STONEZ IS FUCKED UP,SINCE YOU ARE FROM THE "MAKAULEEJ"CLAN,YOU GUYS FROM THAT MAKAULEEJ TRIBE JOB IN THE OLD TIME IS TO PROTECT AND LOOK AFTER THE GRAVES OF THE HIGH KINGS BACK THEN,DO YOUR FREAKIN JOB AND PROTECT YOUR CHIEF AND DONT TALK SHIT ABOUT HIM.
  • edited January 2013
    Reaper you kiss the kabuas ass to much,look at the RMI now days is fucked up,all the money they the "kabuas"get from USA,they dont use that money to built schools but they use that money to enrich them self.
  • hey whoami you a half breed,you aint even full blooded marshallese so in another way you dont count,i bet you dont even know what clan you from.
  • Reaper
    so what if im half blood,that doesnt mean i dont count,hey Reaper i heard from a friend that the HEIR TO THE KABUA THRONE IS HALF POHNPEAN SO IN ANOTHER WAY YOU WILL BE KOWTOWING TO A HALF BREED LIKE ME.
  • Reaper that was the job of my clan back then but this is now,and now i dont feel obligated to serve the king or chief that doesnt care about me,them kabuas dont keep a rat ass about me,DUDE this is the NEW AGE AND WE DONT NEED THEM KABUAS NO MORE,IS THEM THAT NEED US.
  • Stonez
    you sound like a traitor....and back then the punishment sedition and traitors is death,the chief would have chopped you stupid head off you benedict arnold.where is your sense of duty man,dont ever talk like that.

Whoami
    never would the marshallese except that half breed has a chief,cause in order for you to be excepted as the chief/king you must be of pure marshallese blood and part of the rulling clan/tribe.that half breed you mention would sit on a toilet bowl then on the throne idiot.never will they allow this pohnpean to rule you idiot.
  • Reaper the pohnpean as the Kabua uses the KABUA as his last name,so you the one who is the idiot man,if he wasnt part of the Kabua tribe why does he have the word KABUA as his last name!!!
  • edited January 2013
    you dont want to except the fact that a pohnpean will rule and be your chief/king in the future do ya.hey i have a tribe,  my motheris a marshallese,she is part of the Rilujenamo tribe.
  • I aint no traitor dude,im just speaking my mind,and like i said this is the new age and we must live it in the new way,thats why i agree with whoami dude.
  • thats my point exactly Reaper this is the new age,why do you still kowtowing to the kabuas man,to them money is  more important than their people.
  • whoami you dont understand marshallese customs,that guy who you say is the heir will never be excepted even if he or she has that last name,he wont be excepted by the council of chiefs,and the council of chiefs always have the final word when it come to deciding big problems that concern customs and tradition in the Marshall islands.