Y is it a big deal when Marshallese arent called Micronesians?

edited June 2014 in General
What's is the big deal? We were not called Micronesians untill the europeans came and call us that. To us marshallese we don't make a big deal about it,but here in hawaii when Marshallese are called marshallese instead micronesians some people get mad. Some folks in fsm have been quoted in papers like"they sold their souls,maybe that's why". Did we/marshallese sold our soul? Let's not forget FSM and Palau got a cofa cause of the selling of "our souls". So why da big deal?

Comments

• You guys are micronesians!!! Just kuz you guys get all them money it don't make you guys above us!!!. Yes you guys sold your souls. Ain't that the reason why you guys get all these money?
  • You guys are micronesians!!!

Says who? The white man? We weren't call that before they lebeled us that. Same thing has you guys ain't carolinians.

Just kuz you guys get all them money it don't make you guys above us!!!.

Money? With you guys its about money. We here in the marshalls,its about what is right,its about JUSTICE. If the same thing happened to guys in FSM we would want the same injustice to be turned into the right instead of this bullshit we get from y'all. Money? Homie we cladly trade it all back. You guys want the money you guys can have it ALL. We would and still support all y'all if the situation was reversed. But at the same time I wouldn't trade being a marshallese at the same time. We don't think we better then y'all. We just know we ain't the same has y'all .
  • Whoami not all us here think about money,maybe some but not all. Tell me this why do marshallese of all people join the US MILITARY? If justice is what you guys seek then why join the white mans army? Off the micro states RMI is the one with many people within the american military. Dude many marshallese come here to fsm and they spend money like crazy. Some of the guys and girl I know from marshalls in comfsm when we go out they gotta always act like they money banks and spend money. Too much show off. We in pohnpei consider that has a bad habbit.
  • WOW! Its this how you guys view us? Why must money come before our name? First its our souls,second what business its of yours,then third why is it a big deal if we don't like being considered micros? You guys from all your statements and discussions don't like us so why the big deal if we don't consider ourself micros? From all the threads regarding the marshalls it seem you guys HATE US,SO WHY FUZZ LIKE SOME LITTLE GIRLS WHEN WE SAY WE NOT MICROS? BY YOURSELF YOU GUYS DON'T GET ALONG,SO WHY INCLUDE US? WHEN WE WENT OUR OWN WAY YOU GUYS SAID"WE DON'T NEED THEM" SO WHY THE BIG DEAL NOW DAYS?
  • To be honest I'm gonna say it. Maybe these other people are afraid to say it but here goes,YOU MWASHELIS ARE THE MOST SELFISH PEOPLE IN THE WHOLE OF MicRONESIA!!!!!!!! WE COULD HAVE BEEN ONE,FROM PALAU TO YAP FROM YAP TO CHUUK FROM CHUUK TO POHNPEI FROM POHNPEI TO KOSRAE AND TO MWAShel. But no you guys gotta go and do your own thang,we could HAVE BEEN ONE PEOPLE AND ONE GOVERNMENT BUT NOOOOO SOMEBODY GOTTA GO AND THINK ABOUT THEM SELF. MONEY WAS THE MOTIVATION THAT GOT YOU GUYS TO FORM RMI. THEN PALAU GOT THE SAME IDEA AND WHEN DO THE SAME THING. MONEY GOT YOU GUYS SELFISH.
  • Nigga you talking about 3 different things. Fan boy is wat u are,its that what your past and present leaders told you? Fuck I take all dem in a debate debate and beat them. They told you who paid the bills in the ttpi era? Did they tell you who paid for your hospithals,roads,schools,airports and infratstructure back in the ttpi time? Roads in the modern cnmi,even the schools and all that I've mentioned in fsm now days were paid by money from the territory of marshalls to y'all in the fuckin kapilong. Do we complaint about that no we don't. We paid the bills,it was marshallese money or like your dumbass said"soul" money. Be greatefull we don't ask for returns. Like I said I take any of your leaders in a debate ANYTIME ANY WHERE.
  • imageomg we're all the same!!!!!!
  • I don't remember Palau pulling out because of money, if I remember correctly it was for independence. But now we are so dependent on cofa money it's ridiculous. It's sad. All the islands are so dependent. I don't think the US ever intended on letting us go. They stole Hawaii's land and now they have tricked us into selling ours pretty much.
  • Did a battle just start here? :D
    imageimageimage
  • Micronesia is  a foreign language (american english) that describes these groups of islands, inclusive of RMI, FSM and ROP, that are home to most of us here in this forum. Micronesia was not what the people in these islands called themselves; they were NOT one people. Each group was governed under its respective jurisdiction having their own ruler until the whitemen came and chaged it all. But we are not Micronesians, we are, each, in our own small worlds, Majol, Kosrae, Pohnpei, Chuuk, Waab and Belau. The FSM was forced into one entity. 

One can only use the term Micronesia to describe the location of your islands to those who do not have a clue where one comes from. But as for the FSM, we adopt that American-given name and now remain as Micronesians.

If Ri-majol don't wanna be called Micro, let them not be called...but then again it depends on who the person is being addressed. Same goes for Palau. Let us respect their will.

Cheers!

• We were once a family and we will always be....... we only chose to go our separate ways to seek other options out there.  Just like the migration of our people.      ;)     ............. not a big deal to me.     :)>-
  • thank you, uperem. 
  • preach @sinbad 

Belauans don't care to be called micronesian because we are not micronesian. we are belauans. what you said about the islands before outsiders showed up is soo true. we have never been one. we will never be one. we all have pride for who we are and where we came from. can't take it away from none of us. nothing wrong with that. doesn't mean we can't drink a couple asahi's and bottles of seagrams together, smoke some palauan cigarettes, eat some bbq uum/kala/unicornfish? n talk politics and brag about who's women have that perfect shade of brown as we sing n dance  the night away and spar every now n then. no need to front, paradise.
  • edited June 2014
    We are a different groups of peoples and islands in the Northwest Pacific that the white people call Micronesia where the we know each other, fight each other, love each other, eat each other and find no problem against each other. 

WE ARE

PALAU
    YAP
    CHUUK
    POHNPEI,
    KOSRAE,
    MAJOL

WE ARE SIX 
  • Kinisou Chapur, Pwipwi Sinbad....... As you once said...one for all and all for one.   :)
  • YessssAh! I love it! Now where those debates at lol. I swear, this site is the best thing since belauan fried turtle.
  • I have no idea Marshallese aren't called Micronesian. I know for a fact Marshallese are Micronesian. True! outsiders baptize each one of us with our own name politically. Heck, Marshallese was a given name too just like Micronesia. So if you don't like to be called Micronesian because it was not your name then it becomes a question of what was your name that was original? Marshallese? <---it's just another given name just like Micronesia too. I think what maybe bothersome is denying you're Micronesian, the given name to identify a Pacific Race occupying the tiny islands in the Pacific. Obviously, historically, linguistically, and culturally you fall under the same skin color, nose shape, looking alike what now Micronesian just like everybody else. Yes, Yap, Palau and the now Chamorro are part of us too, we met them, intermingle with them, breed with them thus became just part of us within the same Micronesian Basin.

While you are now Marshall, you are still Micronesian within the same Pacific Island Region which identifying our differences from the Polynesian and Melanesian.

Before you became Marshall, you are just one of the many island regions within our Politically COFA Island Nation who used to be on their own with their own chiefs.

In the West, Mortlockese were on their own too but they did make sail to Chuuk whom were also on their own to collect valuable materials of the old days. Northwest Islands also on their own with their own Chief and at time they did fight among themselves and sometimes they united and make big sail to fight another group of Islands. Our ancestors were historically weird like that, they constantly tested and challenged their leaders so you don't just sit with a title assuming to lead without wisdom, strength and strong authority. Sometimes they fight among themselves, sometimes they cease fire in time of famine and supply one another till everyone stand on their feet and then fight resume later on. Sometimes, the chiefs united and raise unnecessary wars on neighboring islands knowing everyone have relatives on just about every islands but to tested their loyalty to island over clans or maybe to maintain population and exercise control so their own people don't rise against them.

A perfect example, was the ousted of Power from the first Chiefly clan, when you all fed up with them and had them replaced right??? Another one is when Everybody in Pohnpei think Isokelekel was just a Kosraen who came to attack having no slide clue his challenge was more of a dethronement of the SauDamwohl of Seudeleur back then, more like a family affairs of intact relationship before growing population on Kosrae, Pohnpei and the rest.

See? at time we stand independent and seems to be on our own but there's always the order of Nature and Human Race, Early Micronesian knew when higher calling via Sewi was blowing and when the needed of support or battle was necessary.

I am pretty darn sure, Marshallese back then fought among themselves within those islands just like everybodelse while yet they were related one way or another, not so much different. Always the same tune of stories everywhelse and you all think you've always been YOU and YOU and YOU ALONE are the super proclaiming VIKINGS of the islands. You are all just Micronesian like me, brothers from our many different mothers since the birth of what now Micronesia.     
  • @kers ka bai cherei! Ngak olei a kmal di buik er Belau e merkong! but anyways, you know of any interaction or stories between palauans and y'all easterners not including my yapese brothers? not asking sarcastically or anything!
  • So what's the big deal? We don't make no fuzz about. To be honest its you guys not us.
  • Miconesia geographically is who we are
  • no big deal, yes

• Way before Micronesia nd Melanesia was named the whole region where the Austronesians occupy was called Malayo-Polynesia all because scientists already knew that the region was occupied by one kind of people that shared just about everything yhu can mention. It was until the 18th century that western countries started to help themselfs nd started picking out islands to change. The western parts (what is now the Southeast Asian countries fell to Islam nd later by Britain. The Eastern part fell to Christianity nd ruled also by European nations.
  • edited June 2014
    ROP-REPUBLIC OF PALAU-PALAUNS.
    FSM-FEDERATED STATES OF MICRONESIA-MICRONESIANS.
    RMI-REPUBLIC OF THE MARSHALL ISLANDS-MARSHALLESE.

• lol...

Whoaml, why do you all desperately wanna be different? and isolated? if you want to be a Vikings or descendant of Raknar that bad then you have every right to claim it and match it in anyway possible, but you'll still come out a Micronesian from the Marshall Islands. Stick to our roots brothah...
  • @davincididit

I don't know anything, I said and share only what I see through disney video clips that I know is right and correct the misunderstanding I find it need to be corrected rightfully.
  • POLITICALLY, THEY ARE PALAUANS AND MARSHALLESE; WE ARE THE MICRONESIANS. GEOGRAPHICALLY, THE CALL ALL OF US MICRONESIANS, WHICH MANY US DON'T WANT TO BE KNOWN AS.

• Politically, they are still the independent state or republic state of Micronesia. We are the Federated or United island States of Micronesia. If they are to be Palau or Marshall then we'll be politically corrected to just Yap, Chuuk, Kosrae, and Pohnpei.

I don't understand why people won't like to be known as Micronesian. It is a fact we are a group of Tiny Islands (Micro-Nesia) in the Pacific.
  • I always introduce myself first as a Micronesian when I travel outside of Micronesian territory....but, when asked what part of Micronesia or what island, I say Palau.... so far, so good.   ;)
  • Micronesians ain't no nationality its a gerographic location. My nationality on my passport says Marshallese not micronesian. My culture is labeled has marshallese culture not micronesian. Micronesian is a location not an identity.
    Politcaly we are the reublic of the marshall islands,the micronesians are those from the FEDERATED STATES OF MICRONESIA.