CHUUK'S INDEPENDENCE???

IS CHUUK FINALLY STARTING TO BECOME INDEPENDENCE BY ITSELF RATHER THAN JOINING THE OTHER F.S.M STATE?? IF SO, HOW WILL THEIR FUTURE BE LIKE?? ARE THEY PREPARED?? WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER 3 F.S.M STATE

http://chuukreform.wordpress.com/2014/10/29/chuuks-independence-from-what-for-what/

Comments

• edited October 2014
    If you want to understand chuukese politics or fsm politics in general click the link below. But don't be offended if the words are true.

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=Ozc68WRemUs
  • (This is a record of a recent Chuuk Political Status Commission hearing on Chuuk's Independence. It's broken down in two parts because it's kind of long, but the same message as one):

Pursuant to its statutory mandate, the Chuuk State Political Status Commission has been holding public hearings with the Chuukese public, including last week on Guam and the CNMI, and also in Faichuk, Northern and Southern Namoneas, and the Northwest. On Thursday, October 30, 2014, the Commission’s Southern Namoneas ESG Committee held its hearing on Uman Island, at the Holy Cross Parish Hall (which is about the size of the Chuuk High School Gymnasium and painted in the traditional Uman Color, Red and White, coincidentally similar to the national color of the Arabic Republic of Yemen).

The SubCommittee included: Commissioners Sabino Asor, Joe Suka and Johnny Meippen, Commission Executive Director James Fritz, and Chuuk State Public Affairs technician, Akasio Shorey, who recorded the proceeding for broadcasting on V6AK Radio. The turnout, according to Director Fritz, was “so far the largest turnout for a Commission hearing, which included about one hundred people,” including both men and women.

After introductions and preliminary remarks by Committee Chairman Asor and municipal officials, and after the audience was provided with copies of the Commission’s relevant literature, Commissioner Meippen then presented the Commission’s proposal recommending Chuuk State to secede from the FSM Union/Federation and become an Independent Nation in Free Association with the US or any other willing partner, including the brief history on political independent movements including the Trust Territory under the UN Trusteeship System. After Commissioner Meippen’s presentation, the Uman audience started asking questions and comments.

The first question was from the Uman Traditional Chief, Deacon Joseph Albert: “Does the FSM Constitution allow any FSM State to secede from the FSM Federation?” Commission Asor (current Chuuk State Attorney General) says his Office has not researched that question because there was talk within the Commission to invite an opinion from the FSM Attorney General, who would be most appropriate to opine on the question of a FSM Constitutional issue. Commissioner Meippen assured the audience the FSM Constitution does not expressly prohibit a FSM state from seceding. If the FSM Constitution implies that prohibition somewhere in its text, then that is what’s needed to be researched.
    There was additional comment by Committee members that other FSM states (i.e. Yap and Pohnpei) actually entertained the idea of secession, so that supports the position that the FSM Constitution may not expressly or totally prohibit secession.

A related question was from another church minister, Sinifes Namwel: “After Chuuk decided to be part of the FSM since 1979, after a first Compact and now in the middle of the second Compact, why has Chuuk State ‘suddenly’ decided on secession and independent?” Commissioner Suka responded that “we are not sure if we can call it ‘suddenly’ since the idea for a Chuuk secession first came during Governor Ansito Walter’s time, then the other states have started also talking about secession, and now
    Chuuk has raised the question again and decided to actually moving forward with it as its response to the scheduled termination of the Financial Provisions of the Amended Compact in 2023.

Another question was from Uman’s Mayor, Nakashima: “Is Chuuk ‘ready” to secede from the FSM and become an independent entity?” Chairman Asor noted that was quite the heavy duty question, and proceeded to answer it first: “Being ‘ready’ has to be measured in certain ways: politically, Chuuk can argue it is ready: it already has a functioning form of government with political subdivisions, there have been successions of peaceful and orderly government transitions, observance of the rule of law and the democratic processes;

in terms of ‘human resources and manpower’, it is an open debate in light of the current issue within the State’s Education Reform where the requirement for teachers’ certification has shown a critical shortage of certified classroom teachers and school principals, eligible nurses and doctors at the Chuuk Hospital, certified mechanics in the few auto shops on Weno Island, and even shortage of lawyers in the governments’ various offices;

Commissioner Asor continued that Chuuk would be ready “economically and financially,” if for example, the new Independent Chuuk Government would have ability to generate annual government operations revenue of at least $41,000,000 similar to its current FY15 operations budget, plus some additional operations expenses like the FSM Government’s annual cost of operating its Department of Foreign Affairs and network of overseas embassies at about $3 million annually, plus the annual surveillance costs of about another million for patrolling its 200 Mile Economic Zone, plus annual membership fees and donations in various international organizations like the UN and Pacific Island Forum, and other national costs. The State’s $41 million annual government operations budget usually is not enough to provide for economic development projects like statewide coconut processing plants or chicken farming, and infrastructure projects like roads and electricity on the neighbor islands.

So it means an Independent Chuuk would have to have new sources of revenues or at least continued assistance from the US to make up the $30 millions in US grants and assistance in the state’s $41 million annual budget, plus other new sources of revenues for new economic development projects and neighbor island infrastructure development projects.

The Commission members also explained that the new Independent Chuuk expects to have its new Economic Zone to generate fishing license fees for Chuuk, similar to the FSM’s fees, and retain 100% local revenue instead of sharing 50% with the National Government, and other foreign assistance like from China and Europea Union, aside from the US Assistance. Also some revenue from Chuuk’s share of the Compact Trust Fund, whichcould be in the annual neighborhood of $4 million annually. Commissioner Suka explained that according to the Commission’s economic expert’s research of possible financial assistance and economic development assistance to the new Independent Chuuk, Chuuk could receive annual revenue of about $150 million, about triple the current operations budget of $41,000. (The audience failed to ask for the expert’s name or a copy of his research).

Another question from one Saku Narruhn: (I am an unemployed father. I have children and families working in Guam, Saipan, Hawaii, the US that have been supporting my family here in Chuuk. I would ask that whatever kind of government your Commission is trying to create for us, please make sure that you do not jeopardize my children's livelihoods in Guam and Hawaii, and their abilities to assist me and my family back here.

Commissioner Asor explained that in as much as a new Independent Chuuk will be created, one of the goals is to retain the relationship with the United States that provided the opportunity to find work in the US.
    Other commissioners also assisted.

A related observation from one Alphonso Otto: "May be it is better if the Commission makes the new Chuuk just like Guam and Hawaii where Chuukese can work and live." Before any commissioner could answer, another from the audience, one Taropas Detor, pointed out that Mr Otto only went to the Philippines for medical referral and never lived in Hawaii to know how good Hawaii is. (Laughter from the audience made any answer unnecessary).

(Continued next page)

• (Continued from Page I, Chuuk Status Commission Hearing on Uman):

Another question came from a school vice principal, Mr Roke Albert: “Why is Chuuk going secession? What is the problem that secession can solve for Chuuk that the Federation cannot solve? If it’s financial problem, then because Chuuk leaders should manage the state well, that is why Chuuk is the only state with a Compact Funds Control Commission, because Chuuk leaders have not been able to bring economic development and manage state financial resources capably. Maybe the problem is for Chuuk leaders to be able to lead or be replaced, and not for Chuuk to secede from the FSM. What is the point of seceding if the same leaders would cause the same problems again?”

The related question from the Mayor: “Under the FSM, when Chuuk had so much debts problems, at least the FSM was able to help pay some of our debts. When we secede and we have debts problems again, who is going to step in to help?”

Commissioner Asor tried to respond to Vice Principal Albert’s question about leadership: “it is partly true that our Chuuk leaders ought to lead up, instead of just trying to change the system. Using the Chuuk Reform Movement as example, Chuuk leaders agreed in the Reform MOU to change the Chuuk Legislature into one house, to save costs (of about $1 million a year). Until now, the Legislature has not seriously put forward a credible proposal to unicameralize the Legislature. Instead, they put two contradictory proposals on last election’s ballot which confused the voters.

Another question (by Minister Terensio Lorenzo) trying to critic the veracity of the Commission’s projection of increased revenues from Chuuk’s own 200 EEZ as an independent entity: “we used to have a lot of fishing vessels in Chuuk, that used to catch and ship fish from our oceans. Where are those ships now? What happened to our fish? Did we receive a fair share of the money from the catching and shipping of those ships?”

Chairman Asor asked Commissioner Meippen to assist the question (since Mr Meippen used to serve on the FSM NORMA): “the money from the FSM 200 EEZ license fees is only for the FSM. They never share with the state, except in congress public projects appropriations. The state sued the FSM to share the fees, but they lost the case. If Chuuk becomes independent, then according to the Geneva Convention on the Law of the Sea, all nations are entitled to a 200 exclusive economic zone if they are coastal states.”

The hearing adjourned around 4 pm after the Chairman saw the audience was falling asleep (from the late lunch). For a more complete record of such Commission hearings, tune in to V6AK Radio. Hope this helps you have a feel the interaction between the Chuukese citizens and their Political Status Commission. Our next hearing will be in Honolulu on November 22nd, Hilo and Portland. See you there.

• edited October 2014
    ¿
  • edited October 2014
    Kinisou Taxi-Womw for the extensive coverage of the meeting that went on on Uman. The questions raised were also concerns raised in my limited mind. I guess it is really the task of the leadership to diligently find ways and means to supplement the financial support that the good ole USA has been providing, whether we go breakaway from the federation or not.

Not meaning that I am for the cessation. My mind is not made up yet. But thanks though. Yours has been an enlightenment.

• Why don't we decide who we will seceed to before we vote if we will seceed. What if we choose to seceed and no country wants to accept us?

WE SHOULD LOOK BEFORE WE TAKE THE STEP & KNOW BEFORE WE DECIDE. NOT DECIDE & KNOW LATER.

ARE WE SO BLIND LIKE THE COMMISSION?
  • from reading Taxi Wom's post I can see the Political Commission's main concern is "money"..

So, if Chuuk will indeed become an independent nation but not an ally of U.S.,
    which currency (money) will we use? 

I don't think Chuuk is ready because I am not ready. Don't say Chuuk is ready because not every citizens of Chuuk are ready. Just say that the Chuuk Future Political Commission Commissioners are ready to collect all the money for themselves. Yes, since you guys are so worried about collecting all the money and hold em in your hands with no restrictions from U.S. Gov't or FSM.

If the Independence is pass by voters and then members of the Political Commission couldn't make it to 2023, who will carry on their work/plan?

• Here is a question and pls answer it anyone who knows.

DOES THE FSM CONSTITUTION ALLOW OR WILL IT ALLOW CHUUK OR ANYONE OF THE FOUR STATES TO SUCEED OR BREAKAWAY FROM THE FEDERATION?

Here is something we must remembe, When the Southern States of the US wanted to breakaway from the UNION and form A confederacy there was chaos and we all know this lead to the AMERICAN CIVIL WAR.
  • Don't think so.
  • agreed already.
  • For those who may be serious about secession, the FSM Constitution presents some real obstacles.  First, Article XIII, Section 3 provides: "It is the solemn obligation of the national and state governments to
    uphold the provisions of this Constitution and to advance the principles
    of unity upon which this Constitution is founded."

Thus, in order for Chuuk to secede from the FSM, it would be required to actively oppose, rather than support, the provisions of the Constitution which include Chuuk as a state within the FSM, and even more important it would require Chuuk to repudiate, rather than to advance, "the principles of unity upon which [the] Constitution is founded."

Potentially even more problematic is the requirement that any change to the Constitution (which according to its terms includes Chuuk as a State within the FSM) be approved as an amendment to the Constitution pursuant to Article XIV of the Constitution, which includes approval requirements which have proven too difficult to meet even with proposed amendments which the people are in favor of.

Thus, while Mr. Meippen may be literally correct that the Constitution does not contain any explicit prohibition against secession, Articles XIII and XIV both include implicit prohibitions within the procedures required for amendment and the requirements of all states to uphold the Constitution and the principles of unity upon which it was founded.

One thing which may not have been considered by the Commission is the 200 mile exclusive economic zone.  Weno, Chuuk is 438 miles from Pohnpei.  Thus it would appear on the surface that an independent Chuuk could have a 200 mile EEZ to the east, and still leave Pohnpei and equal 200 mile EEZ to the West.  However, the Mortlocks, Chuukese territory, lie less than 100 miles from Pohnpei, meaning Chuuk could only have an EEZ of less than 50 miles on its easterly border.  The same problem exists when calculating the EEZ between the western islands of Chuuk and the eastern islands of Yap.

While not wishing to offend the proponents of secession, or to impugn their motives, as some have done, for myself it appears that any desire to secede is delusional, for many reasons.  Where will Chuuk find the funds to establish border controls?  Will United Airlines recognize Chuuk as an independent state and permit flights to Weno, or will it simply overfly Weno to go to Pohnpei and Kosrae?  Why would the FSM permit Chuuk to receive any portion of the FSM Trust Fund, if Chuuk is not a part of the FSM?  Generosity?  And who, pray tell, is the economic expert who offered the opinion that Chuuk could receive up to $150 million annually from outside sources?  Chuuk cannot even attract 5% of the annual visitors which Palau entertains, and cannot even maintain its infrastructure.

As I have said many times, apparently to a wall, the solution to Chuuk's problems does not lie in secession, but rather in honest, open and accountable government.  Any chance of that?
  • We have citizen are born without greed and they love the Lord. Secession from the mother only happen on puberty mature state.. Gotta to go old man and be man up!
  • Lord please help Chuuk !!!
  • TAXI,

Killisou ren ekkei kapas fan iten ach sipwe weweiti ewe mokutukut-un an ewe mwichen Commission a kuna pwe kich sia tongeni pwisin utta won mwuuch.

I am trying to follow the commission on it's trek to teaching this issue to Chuukese abroad. Currently, I am trying to finish up a write-up for Pacific Daily News. But I'm stuck for lack of a contact on the Commission. 

I had a chance to talk to members of the traveling team when they were here on Guam. I was directed to Meippen by the Chairman, Mr. Paulus.

I blew my chance, however, of getting his contact or even Mr. Paulus himself.

I know now that perhaps you can help me with some questions that may bring completion to my story. See, I've gotten much from Chuukese in the ether world on their views regarding this proposed Independence. What I do not have, though, is the chance to get rebuttals from your team. 

Will you be kind enough to entertain some questions, please?  

I may not be able to call you direct. Unless you are now on Guam. Otherwise, I'd be reached at rhowuniong@yahoo.com; rhowuniong@gmail.com or writeright66@hotmail.com.

If you prefer, we can chat privately on FB.  Look me up, please... Alex Rhowuniong. Let me give you and the Commission one more avenue, voice-- the local newspaper. Just as I am giving Chuukese abroad their side of the story as well.

Fokkun tirow womw taxi; amusalo ach tipisin namaiki... esapw turun letipach. Nge ina ukukun weiresin ach mochen sipwe allillis... fan iten pwiich me fefinach lon Chuuk unus ese wor neur mecha (computer); repwe tongeni sekuru ekkei porous me lon neuch na simpung, PDN, mi tottori fenuwach.

Killisou chapur ngonuk ren om umeumech ngani ach siengaw...

Finally, do you know where the team is right now? Is there a contact number for them that I may be able to find out about other meetings they may have conducted already? You may inbox me please... thanks again.
  • Alex !!! We surely cannot !! I for ones cannot !! So what makes yhu think yhu could ???
  • How to fund patrols of our EEZ?  Exactly as FSM currently does..Just with more money (100% instead of 50% of license fees) and less coverage area.  1 point - Chuuk for Chuuk
  • Atama_Kuop kose mwochen anisikiich ???
  • A very reliable source at the Western and Central Pacific Tuna Commission says that the license fees we collect amount to less than 1% of the profit the fishing companies make.  So the $90 million the US is paying us would profit the US over $9 BILLION at the least.  Unlike oil, fish is a renewable commodity.  An Independent Chuuk is more than possible if we act now and manage our own fishing waters before it's too late.
    Tirow fairo.  Kan pwan mwochen chok aninis.
  • Folueisom,

Fokkun tirow womw, amusalo ai tipisin tiparoch. Use kon weweiti met we ke kapas won. Met we kese tongengi feri? (You said, "We surely cannot!! I for ones cannot!!") 

Pls enlighten me... I'm lost. I don't follow. 

Are u saying you, too, are a member of the commission and that both u and Taxi are not going to talk to me? And that you, especially, are not going to talk... am I understanding you correctly?
  • planning to become an independent nation is not an easy thing because all 3 fsm nation are not ready. REMEMBER, TWO IS BETTER THAN ONE!?!?
  • mwa atama_chuuk,

met en emon sou attaw ika? een mii fen mwaar pwan ikipweu neeset ika? 

menni iika kopwe chiwen attawa nesor me pennon nge iei a ngaweno setin Chuuk? om ekieki pwe mii chiwen wewe fengen nesetin fonuach ei ikenai ngeni noomw? ouwa ekieki pwe Chuuk epwe tongeni watte an money tonong ren pekin fisheries?

ontokonoooo, kan tirou wom me chiechiom kana political commisioners. aami mii chuun? ouse kuna watten ei ekesiwin (global warming) ren won fonu me neeset? non ai rongorong won radio aami ita kan osukuna fetanei ena idea ren INDEPENDENT iwe ngang mii rong ami era pwe kich chon Chuuk sipwe achocho nee fotukaatiw masowen neeman me turu uu neset pwe ikena anen ach money tonong. ngang mii sinei pwe esap aami sou attaw me sou atake pwe oukan chok attaw ika kinikin uwa me non kana markets. ina popun aami ouse sinei usun ei watten ekesiwin (global warming effect) aa angawaano neepwun me neeset.

iwe kan tirou womi pwe use ngang supportini aami na idea mii empty. there's no promise in that idea. 
  • Why present the 2023 issues as if the compact will not continue? The compact will continue if we want it to, the only issue is the funding. Now we encourage people to vote for independence but we are not divulging all the necessary & important steps we need to take to secure the much needed fundings we require after 2023.

The compact will not continue if we stop it, now with all the talk of chuuk seceeding, do you really think uncle Sam will support us let alone see us as a sovereign nation.

The $150,000 funding for the chuuk political status commission is a waste of much needed fund for the goverment. I predict after all the votes are tally & counted we will realize that we wasted the fund on the commission.

• edited November 2014
    SongenNus,

Quite some predictions there, you just made. The problem Chuuk is facing right now, is analogous to that of a lab frog. He is too comfortable in his slowly heated pot, full of water. When the water boils, the frog died easily, having been trapped and couldn't do anything to free himself.

I think we should know by now, that even Hawaii, Guam and CNMI. hated their current political status: hence, they have demilitarization movement and political status commissions with the same endeavor as the Chuuk political status commission.

We should at the least applaud them boys for trying to rock the boat...
  • Like I said before I am a supporter of Taxi-womw aka Mr Asor.  On this occasion I disagree with Chuuk's move to become an independent nation.  Saremen Chuuk is correctly clear on the interpretation of the Constitution and the process should a state want to split from the rest.  Furthermore, it needs to be said that islands outside the lagoon are not going to join Chuuk as a republic.  Why should they?  That is what I have been hearing.  So I have to disagree with the commission period.
  • I too disagree. This is ridiculous. I don't see the reason why chuuk will seperate itself from the nation. Is it because the three states don't agree with what chuuk needs or wants? Okay you know what put this on the ballot to vote on because I guarantee you (the commission) won't succeed on your plan or what do we call move? Let's vote on and then you see the results.
  • edited March 2015

• Mr Rhowuniong,

Afa Adai from Chuuk. Go ahead and post your questions if appropriate. I am not good at facebook, so I do not know if we can answer your questions satisfactorily that way.

Thank you and all the posters' comments on this thread. Very healthy exchange.
  • chuuk is not ready at all. just go to chuuk and look around.
    I do believe that greedy is behind this movement.

may god bless the chuukese people.
  • Here are questions posted earlier by Mr Rhowuniong

1. WHAT CURRENCY WILL THE REP OF CHUUK USE? IF THE US DOLLAR, THEN WHAT'S THE POINT OF BECOMING INDEPENDENT WHEN WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK TO WHERE WE ARE NOW...DEPEND ON THE MIGHT USA.

2.WHAT POSTAL SYSTEM OR PASSPORT WILL  WE USE?

3. WHERE WILL THE NATIONAL GOVERNMENT BE LOCATED?

4. WHAT MONEY WILL BUILD THAT CAPITOL? ON WHOSE LANDS WILL THE NATIONAL GOVERNMENT OFFICES BE LOCATED?

5.CAN WE AFFORD TO HAVE AN OFFICE IN NY FOR OUR AMBASSADOR TO THE UN?

6.HOW WILL CHUUK NATIONAL GOVERNMENT PAY FOR OUR DIPLOMATIC CORP INCLUDING EMBASSY AND CONSULATE OFFICES, STAFF, TRAVEL EXPENSES, IN WASHINGTON DC AND NEW YORK, CHINA?

7. WHAT MILITARY FORCE WILL PROTECT OUR CHUUK NATIONAL SECURITY/

8.WHERE WILL WE GET THE FUNDS TO PAY FOR PUBLIC EDUCATION?

9.WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THE CHUUKESE CITIZENS LIVING IN THE UNITED STATES WITH REGARDS TO THEIR IMMIGRATION STATUS? HOW WILL THE CHUUK NATIONAL GOVERNMENT ISSUE THEM THE CHUUK PASSPORT TO REPLACE THE FSM PASSPORT? WILL THOSE LIVING ABROAD NEED TO FLY BACK TO CHUUK TO APPLY FOR THEIR PASSPORT?