WHERE DID THE MONEY GO?

In December, 2002, in response to the Faichuuk Independence Movement beginning around that time, I examined US Compact funding for Chuuk State, utilizing Chuuk State Budget laws, copies of which, if they exist anymore, can probably only be found in the Governor's office, since the Legislature building burned down.  What follows is one paragraph of many in my analysis which may be relevant to the current movement for Chuuk State's secession from the FSM:

"By my rough calculations, the total amount of Compact assistance received by Chuuk State in current account, CIP funding, and other sectoral grants, such as energy and health care during the first seventeen (17) years of the Compact – from 1986 through FY 2002 – is not less than $500 million, almost one-third of the  +/- $1.8 billion paid to the FSM over that period.  In CIP funding alone, Chuuk State appears to have received as much as $150 million over that period.  Current account receipts may total an equal, or greater amount.  Thus, in current account and CIP funding only, Chuuk State has received as much as, or more than, $300,000,000 over the past seventeen years."

I offer this information in the hope that it will inform the discussion about secession, and specifically why those who favor secession and independence believe that anything will be different should secession be achieved.

I ask this question: Where did the money go?  And what makes anyone believe that if independence is achieved, anything will be different?  Look around you. Where did the half billion dollars Chuuk State received in direct compact funding from 1987 through 2002 go?  What can Chuuk State point to as development resulting from this infusion of capital.  Where are the $150,000,000 in capital improvements and improvements to necessary infrastructure?

Comments

• Good questions there.
  • The money went through the pipeline without anybody's knowledge as there wasn't any concrete means of accountibility and transparency by the chuuk government then and up to the current. Speaking of secession now makes it even more challenging to the chuuk state government. merry- x-mas pwapwa jok
  • good questions applicable to all five governments. a bulk of it could have gone down the drain.
  • The national govt gave Tolensom's (TOL) share of the CIP fund to Kisauo Esa which total to 115,183.14 and was remitted from the FMS national govt as a deposit into a Bank of Guam acct, probably at its Pohnpei Branch.

Also,

3.6 million was in FSM possession which alreday allotted to Chuuk State -- The money never distributed to the individual municipalities --- Governor Simina & Chuuk State converted the sum of 169, 524.42 and used for their own ends & purposes.

• And the FSM Congress in sessions received a huge contingent of municipal and state officials from Chuuk. Did they pay their way out of their pockets, or did they use public funds?

Are the travel budgets for Chuuk government drastically reduced and if so is programming into the travel budget category prohibited?

Are the community centers actually centers or people's homes?

How much funds were given to the phantom employees of the Chuuk State Government?
  • Those funds were gone. Some officials had served time behind bars. At least there are lessons learned from that era. Its time we move on and prepare to head into the super drought.
  • Super drought, rough seas and high winds. What more can the devil ask for!

What can $500M do? How long can that last?
  • The CIP funds should have been remitted to Marselo instead of Esa, Marselo is/was the mayor, not Esa. that's what the ruling stated!
  • These are quite some intriguing comments on here. Let us pray that the lord gives us the courage to change the things we can change; the serenity to accept us past and the wisdom to guide us in our endeavors for our future.
  • Sorry, everyone, but I asked too many questions.  I did not want to get into the fine details, and the resentment for who got what and who didn't.

The only question pertinent to this discussion as I see it is what makes anyone believe that if independence is achieved, anything will be different? Look at the names of the members of the Commission, posted by Yir in another thread.  How many have only been politicians in Chuuk or in the national government?  The Commission is made up of the same people who "distributed" over $500 million in the first sixteen years of the Compact.  At least 40% of that was for CIP, or put another way, intended for infrastructure needs.

Is the sewer plant in Weno fixed?  Is the water delivery system in Weno fixed?  Is there electricity in Faichuuk, other than personal generators?  What is the condition of the education and health care physical plants?

Has the Commission indicated in any way how the financial situation in Chuuk will improve if Chuuk really declares independence?  Especially with the same people in charge who put Chuuk into bankruptcy and still cannot seem to stop appropriating public funds for private purposes?
  • well said. our people must be thorough in this decision making process.
  • Either way Chuuk remains. Let's not chain ourselves to this present day corruption. There is goodness in genuine hope/determination. No pain no gain. Noput e tekan e malaw. Penipen itino waneta. Give it a try.
  • Let's not chain ourselves to this present day corruption.

Agreed.  But just as importantly, let us not chain ourselves to continuing this corruption into the future....whether Chuuk  leaves the FSM or not.
  • Hopefully with new atmosphere, new mentality and new desire, things would change for the better. I really wish Chuuk will become independent yet I am afraid it will not happen just yet.
  • So what did Chuuk state did with that 500 millions? Now chuuk state demands more allocations added to its fundings. It want to break away because it says they are not being treated fairly and they want to control their eez.
  • Saram, I like your comments. Those are the kind of question need to be answer to give us the assurance for a better Chuuk than now. Withot any answers most of the people will vote blindly. Do you like that to be happen? Or that how the set up should be at the end?
    Base on known discrepancies during the last couple election, we are so worried should it be happen again. Hope not. 
  • I guess $ 500 million would be enough to connect the islands by bridges to create and alleviate some economic activities between and among the regions, so we could define some competence that we can nurture to capitalized on, seeking some segments of the global and regional markets.
  • I guess $ 500 million would be enough to connect the islands by bridges 

I have my doubts about that.  $500 million was not enough to pave one road on Weno.  And not enough to provide one clean bathroom for travelers at Chuuk airport.

We need at least $500 TRILLION.
  • Ok, let us start putting some new faces in the Chuuk political arena then. That way they could talk about realities, but couldn't dream to create the environment in Chuuk that is conducive to development.
  • edited December 2014
    500 Million was not enough to satisfy the crooks in Chuuks State now they want more. They want separation because they don't need 3 doors(Yap-Kosrae-Pohnpei) in a bank but rather just one(Republic of Chuuk) so it will be easier to dip their hands into the piggy bank.
  • Piggy bank it is.  Where has the money gone estimated to be around 3 million or so?  And Chuuk wants independence having a bad history of corruption?
  • edited December 2014
    There is already enough negativism about our Chuuk. I heard there were already people serving time behind bars for miss using public funds. I'm not sure though, whether they paid restitution or not.
  • what is that, "restitution". Who is responsible to take care of the restitution? Is it a different agencies other than the public prosecutor office or the chuuk political status commission? sorry I am mix up. To much foot pain in here, though.
  • the money was spent on travel. the fsm has more platinum member travelers per capita than any other country on earth.

the money was spent on representation funds. the fsm citizen is the most represented individual per capita in the world.

it was spent on food and alcohol. the fsm has consistently ranked among the fattest nations per capita population and alcohol consumption per capita.

it was not spent on education, infrastructure and health. after all the money received and spent in compact 1 and 2 (to date), we don't have a university, our infrastructure is in dire need of work and upgrade to support growing population and we don't have an adequate health delivery system to make us less reliant on off-island referrals and lacks major support in preventative care.

it has been wasted on government living beyond its means. maintaining consulates and embassy's to showcase "our wealth" and not considering consolidating these operations.

but I could be wrong. merry Christmas and happy new year.
  • What you've just said pwahlahl is a slam dunk! Good to have someone onboard like yourself. Keep posting my friend. I am speaking of us who has a very lil chip nut brain. Kalahngan.
  • It just occurred to me that one possible answer to this question is that a large part of the money was spent turning one of the healthiest indigenous societies on earth into one of the largest societal public health problems facing both Micronesia and the mainland.

How much of the +/- $800,000,000 (by now) has been spent on chips and sodas, frozen pork and turkey tails, SUVs and pickup trucks so you can drive on the only road, maybe, sometime?

In seventy years, the Chuukese, and indeed all Micronesians and Pacific Island peoples, have used the funds thrown at them by a distant Uncle to buy cigarettes and alcohol, canned meats, and the staple of all staples, gasoline and diesel fuel, to power the SUVs and stores and offices of commerce.  All to their own detriment, and to the benefit of the purveyors of these instruments of ill health.

Boy, what a waste of money.

The trend can be reversed, by the way, by every person who wants to, sort of a New Year's Resolution.  Find out about the first island people to confront this public health crisis, the Hawai'ians.  They were the lab animals in this westward expansion of American might, and developed all the same health problems confronting Micronesia today forty years ago.  Ask them about their community effort to return to local foods and habits, healthy living.  They did it.  So can Micronesia.  All it takes is to want to.

Happy New Year, everyone, and may next year be healthy and prosperous.
  • To some, an independent Chuuk will do magic and wonders, and a sudden transformation of the politicians will take place, turning them into honest, prudent servants of the people. Is something wrong with this picture?
  • the money go where your mouth is. :D
  • edited December 2014
    TiTs,

You seemed too negative about Chuuk. Maybe its time you seek out some nuts to chew on.
  • Totally agree with Sarem,

But this will also be a good thing for the people of FS of M. Why? If they do secede from the federation and US or any nation will be willing to provide for the New Gov. Let the new Gov. payback all the Monies that they have misused in the C I & CII before they actually grant them any money for their new Compact..