Three men from Chuuk stranded, rescued on Fanadik

imageAnyone has more news about it?

Comments

• Santa Rita, GU — Three men aboard a missing 19-foot skiff were located by a U.S. Navy aircraft, after departing Pulap, Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) three days earlier.

At 11:07 am, on April 6, 2016, watch standers at U.S. Coast Guard Sector Guam’s Rescue Sub-Center (RSC) received a report from the Chuuk SAR Liaison regarding an overdue 19-foot skiff in the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) with three adult males aboard. The vessel departed, April 4th, on a voyage from Pulap Island to Weno Island and was expected to arrive on April 5th.

RSC Guam reached out to local and state authorities within FSM and the U.S. Embassy in
    Pohnpei to support and coordinate search efforts for the missing men and their vessel.

Watch standers from RSC Guam used the Coast Guard Search and Rescue (SAR) Optimal Planning System, a computer-based SAR planning tool which develops search patterns for responding vessels. Radio and satellite broadcasts were made advising mariners of the distress. RSC Guam contacted U.S. Coast Guard’s Joint Rescue Coordination Center (JRCC) in Hawaii to coordinate the launch of available aircraft to aid in the search for the missing vessel.

Multiple resources from FSM and the Automated Mutual-Assistance Vessel Rescue (AMVER) system
    were also contacted to conduct searches for the missing vessel. Search resources included four AMVER vessels and a U.S. Navy P-8 aircraft.

The AMVER vessels involved in the search were the 803-foot, Marshall Islands flagged, bulk carrier, BRILLIANT JUPITER, 610-foot, Panama flagged, bulk carrier, TEN YU MARU, 980-foot, Panama flagged, bulk carrier, AEGAN CLOVER, and a 872-foot, Portugal flagged, container ship, MAERSK LAUNCESTON.

The P-8 flew from Misawa Air Base in Japan to support the search efforts. During the early afternoon of April 7th, the missing men were located by a U.S. Navy P-8 flying over the uninhabited island of Fanadik, approximately four nautical miles south of Pulap and 146 nautical miles west of Weno.

The men were sighted on the beach waving their bright orange life jackets and standing next to a large “help” sign made of palm leaves. A local small boat from Pulap recovered the men from the island and returned them safely to their point of departure. All three men returned with no reported injuries.

The men reported that their vessel was capsized by a large wave a few hours after their departure on April 4th. The men spent the night swimming until they arrived at Fanadik island. The men’s survival and recovery were greatly enhanced by having life jackets and creating signaling devices to get the attention of anyone searching for them.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/men-rescued-deserted-pacific-island-38271935

http://www.thv11.com/news/nation-now/3-castaways-rescued-after-spelling-help-with-palm-leaves-on-remote-island/126130827

• It's Fanakit not Fanadik.
  • edited April 2016
    Chonopemw Folueisom. Fanadik as written in official geographical documents and in the vernacular, it's Fánárhik, to be exact.

Ita mwa kan fonuwen non Southern Namoneas ina kopwe opwungu itan.

Hahahaha

• Fanakit is actually Fana kititkit for Fanu kitikit which Lagooners would say kukun Fanu or Fanu kukun.

Those maps are not ours. Chuukese didn't create those maps. Lol

• and this guy is an elected FSM congressman....breaks down twice, gets lost twice, and gets rescued twice in the space of two weeks.
  • SFW!? He never gave up. Others, like you, wouldn't even last 5 minutes in the water at night. NO FEAR!
  • edited April 2016

A Hardcore guy. NO FEAR!
  • Hi everybody,

does anyone of you know more about these guys?

I am a German journalist and would like to do a story on them. I would be very thankful if anyone could help me establish a contact to the rescues. You can also contact me via private message.

Thank you
    All the best!
  • Fly on Air Nauru to the islands and meet the rescued.
  • go cnn breaking news. they have the story there.
  • edited August 2016
    G
  • Three men, come yah. Only three. No more than three. Just the three of them. One congressman and his two friends, making them three.

"Three men from Chuuk stranded, rescued on Fanadik" as the headlines says like ONE TWO THREE.
  • @50NGAW: What makes you so sure it was a congressman?
  • I know him, he is my congressman.
  • If Chuuk secedes, USCG n US Navy will not assist in SAR.
  • No worries. PRC's navy will be glad to take over.
  • And your POINT Mr.LELEPEK?......
  • People's Republic of China or Chuuk?
  • Both. After Chuuk leaves the FSM and the COFA, it will be subsumed into the PRCC......the People's Republic of China & Chuuk.
  • Lol, I think CPRC will sound better.
  • please stop misleading the people. there is NO such thing as CHINA in the proposed movement documents. help them understand the GOOD and evil of the proposed movement base on its intend/language not your personal/bias views.
  • I believe you're right kinen

Flag Counter
    Free counters!