How many times will God forgive me for the same sin?

Please share how well you know the answer to this critical question?

Comments

• 7x7x7x7x7x7x7....to infinity....but only IF you are sincerely sorry AND only IF you sincerely try not to sin again. Read Matthew 18:21-22 and http://www.simplybible.com/f410.htm

• Many times. But as to the exact number I do not know. But when we stop listening to the Holy Spirit speaking to us, then God cannot forgive us anymore.

All sins can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.
  • I believe everyone has two strikes...... and the 3rd one....you're gone.
  • thanks folks. but can or would I know or sense that I've reached the point of no return or is it possible to know for sure that the holy spirit has gave up on me?
  • when death strikes, it's pinished. HS DOESN'T give up on anyone.
  • edited November 2016
    Hey my friend ssearcher1 the meaning of "point of no return" is death....To answer the question of how many times will God forgive me for the same sin? The best answer is to understand the unconditional love of our almighty God. He forgives every second, minute, hour, week, month, year and forever if we do our part to ask forgiveness in Jesus name. Read 1 John 1:9 New International Version (NIV) 9, If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Ni wahu,

asaf
  • Thank you 2017 congressman asaf. eheh! But yes I believe everything you said. However, my question was would i or another person know or sort felt it that the presence of the holy spirit has gone out before i go down the road of point of no return? This is what I am trying to get from you and other bible experts. And thanks my friend kinen for sharing that ultimatum truth. But, the bible also speak of that there will be a time the holy spirit will uproot his presence. And if we believe the bible, then it shall be. No?
  • Hey ssearcher,

Whaddya do?

On a related note, if the sin was against your brother or sister, they only have to forgive you 490 times(Matthew 18:22).
    So sin carefully, you can run out of forgiveness.
  • To me its seems like sins will always be forgiven no matter how many of them one might have. They will be forgiven anyways. Isn't it?
  • Only God can forgive sins if you believe and have faith in Him.
  • oh well thanks everyone for sharing and I totally agree with all of ya'ol. hey archipelgo! It's not what I do but would I know or feel or sense that the holy spirit presence has gone out from me or no longer there for me?
  • like you all have correctly pointed out that mercy of God does not have limit if a person wanted to ask forgiveness of his or her sins and no matter how bad or how many times he committed one or 10000000 sins God is always ready to forgive when it is truly confessed and washed away with the blood of His son Christ Jesus. But that is not the intend of my question. My question is about if we sinners would be able to know or sense that the holy spirit has given up on us if we continue to sin against God. In fact, I am not trying to say that it can not be because the bible does clearly says that the holy spirit can be grieved and leave those who sinned against the Holy Spirit. That I do not content. But what I am repeatedly asking is can we know or felt his departure or not? Thank you all.
  • surely you can ssearcher1.
  • thanks my friend kinen. and can you also share something to substantiate that? hope am not asking too much my friend.
  • It is kind of difficult for one to know exactly what the purpose of the holy spirit. Some thinks that the holy spirit is there to protect us from every evil doings. Some believe the holy spirit will be received when one will thoroughly washed himself from all his sins so that he may have the power to performed Gods righteous ordinances. The only time that I believe that the holy spirit will departed from ones life is when one will no longer have faith in God and his son Jesus Christ.
  • thanks pek. how about you TT please help us with your view on this one. Thanks
  • good Sunday morning ssearcher1 and all, praise/glory for another living day.
    when you are in your heaven on earth and conduct yourself in the realms of nature teachings, you will surely experience the presence of the Holy Spirit, love, happiness, acceptance, Joy, peace, etc. your entire existence will be surrounded with all good and serene feelings. now, when you are in your hell on earth, you will experience the opposite. it will be difficult for you to feel the presence of the HS. in short, your life here on earth can make you feel the presence and absence of God, (HS).
  • The sin that cannot be forgive is the sin which is not confessed. This happens when the Holy Spirit convicts us of the sin and we choose to not listen to the Holy Spirit, admit our sin and ask God to forgive us of the sin.

We get into this situation when we keep on going our own way and pay no attention to God's teachings. When we fall too far those things which were vile to us become pleasures. These are things like stealing, taking other people's spouses, lying, dishonoring parents, killing, condemning people, judging people, being presumptuous, making ourselves look good at the expense of others etc. This is when we know we have grieved away the Holy Spirit. This is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.
  • Thanks TT but to me I believe the bible said adultery is one sin the those who committed it could put to death. I believe other sins committed could be forgiven. What you think my friend?
  • in the OT they do stoned those who are caught in the act of adultery., But in the NT, Jesus forgive those who did the same. Read the story of the prostitute brought by the mob to jesus to condemn as they all thought it gives them right to execute the common judgment. If we know this, it should gives us clear picture of God's true character of giving no level of sins can be and can not be forgiven. All sins can be forgiven if it is truly confess because God hears all prayers for mercy and forgiveness. The blood of atonement has been shed by the only ONE who only worthy to washed all sins.
  • Pardon me my friend but I do believe what you just share but here are some verses from the new testament that will also enlightened us about this thread. Matthew 19:9
    Mark 10:11 and 12
    Luke 16:18
    Matthew 5:17-18
    Matthew 23:1-3

• pekalong,

I believe what the Bible says about this subject. All sins can be forgiven men, except for one. It is the sin that we do not want to give up when the Holy Spirit has been speaking softly to us about it and we harden our hearts toward Him which will result in us not hearing His voice any more. Consider this passage in Matthew.

Matthew 12:31-32 New King James Version (NKJV)

The Unpardonable Sin
    31 “Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. 32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

I have heard many pastors say that as long as we worry if we have grieved away the Holy Spirit, then we are still not in danger of committing the unpardonable sin. The Holy Spirit can still speak to us and we can still hear and listen to His voice.

As to
  • Thanks TT. Amen for what you've shared.