Trump praises Jim Jong Un, Putin, Duterte and other murderous dictators

Donald Trump has continually gushed over various dictators from around the world. After singing the praises of Vladimir Putin at every opportunity, Trump has also taken a liking to North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un. Despite the recent rise in tensions between North Korea and the United States, Trump said he “would be honored” to meet with the murderous autocrat.

"If it would be appropriate for me to meet with him, I would absolutely, I would be honored to do it,” Trump told Bloomberg News.

This isn’t the first time Trump has spouted off about how impressive he think the North Korean madman is as a leader. During an interview with ABC’s John Dickerson, which aired on Sunday, Trump had great things to say about Kim Jong Un’s ability to hold onto power through murder. Asked what he thought of the North Korean dictator, Trump gave a jaw-dropping response.

“And at a very young age, he was able to assume power. A lot of people, I’m sure, tried to take that power away, whether it was his uncle or anybody else. [Kim Jong Un executed his uncle last year.] And he was able to do it. So obviously, he’s a pretty smart cookie,” he concluded.

Trump also praised Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, and invited him to the White House.

Yesterday Trump phoned President Rodrigo Duterte of the Philippines, inviting him to visit the White House. Duterte is an authoritarian leader accused of ordering extrajudicial killings of thousands of people suspected of using or selling narcotics, as well as others who may have had no involvement with drugs. Duterte has overseen the extrajudicial killing of thousands of suspected drug offenders, and he even boasts of having killed a few himself.

Two weeks ago, Trump called to congratulate President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey for his victory in a much-disputed referendum, filled with voting irregularities, which expanded Erdogan’s powers and has put Turkey on the road to dictatorship.

Trump has praised President Xi Jinping of China, although Xi has cracked down on dissent and emerged as the most powerful leader (dictator) China has had since Mao Zedong.

Trump played host at the White House to Egyptian president Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, who had not been granted an invitation since he seized power in a military coup nearly four years ago.

And don’t forget Trump’s vow during the presidential campaign to pursue a warmer relationship with President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia. (The effort has faltered somewhat in light of questions about links between the Trump campaign and Russian officials.)

The United States once advanced democracies against dictators. Under Trump, it’s doing the opposite.

Comments

• I rather have a president who treat other leaders with respect and try to find a way to solve thing diplomatically. That's what Mr. Trump is doing.

And by the way didn't Obama praised Fidel when he died. Ha!
  • hypocrisy....Obama did it numerous times

Obama Praising Putin at a party dinner
    *http://www.reuters.com/article/us-obama-russia-putin-sb-idUSTRE56657Q20090707

Obama offers some praise of Putin
    By ELIZA COLLINS 07/14/15 07:57 PM EDT
    President Barack Obama had some kind words for Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday. Really.

As the U.S. and Russia remained locked in a tense stand-off over Putin’s grab for Ukraine, Obama said he was pleasantly surprised by the foreign leader’s assistance in clinching a historic deal with Iran over its nuclear program.

×http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/obama-offers-praise-of-putin-120127

Obama inadvertently gives high praise to China in UN speech
    ×http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/international/298432-obama-inadvertently-gives-high-praise-to-china-in-un-speech

MSNBC: Cuban-Americans Humiliated by Obama’s Comments on Castro’s Death

Many Cuban-Americans residing in Florida are ashamed of the statements that some world leaders like President Obama and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau made after the death of Fidel Castro by refusing to condemn the former communist dictator, MSNBC's Mariana Atencio reported Monday morning.
    ×http://freebeacon.com/politics/msnbc-cuban-americans-humiliated-obama-comments-castros-death/

(VIDEO AVAILABLE) Obama sends video to Iranian people praising Ayatollah Khamenei

President Obama is not only acting like a pouty child in his relations with Israel, damaging a relationship that has flourished for decades, he’s sucking up to the people of Iran and praising disgusting radical leaders like the Ayatollah Khamenei.

This dude is a textbook progressive who views Israel as evil colonialists and who seriously believes crazed radical terrorists will immediately throw down their Jihad if they could get a job and some respect.

It should be obvious by now that Obama’s foreign policy is not only stupid, but it’s dangerous, both here at home and for our allies abroad.
    http://www.youngcons.com/obama-sends-video-to-iranian-people-praising-ayatollah-khamenei/
  • I think what appears to be "praise" of these and other "dictators", is really a recognition that Trump's presidency will not be the policeman of the world. It's not for the US to decide who is best to run other countries. It's not for the US to dictate its values to other countries.

Let citizens and the body politics of each country decide who their presidents are going to be. Exception: if a president, such as Assad, uses chemical weapons against the innocent civilians against UN and International treaties.

In this case, Trump will attack and destroy those planes and airports and facilities that supported the chemical attack; Trump does not necessarily want to do a regime change like other administrations did in the past.

Filipinos should decide who their President is going to be. And Trump will work with whoever is country's President as elected by its people or political process based on its constitution. We, in Micronesia, would also like big countries to respect the will of our people by respecting whoever are presidents that we have elected. That's democracy.
  • marc, so you think that the U.S. should continue to provide military and law enforcement assistance to a man who murders his own citizens simply because they are addicted to drugs?

That is what Filipino President Duterte is doing. Thousands of his own citizens have been murdered under his orders.

This is a man Trump should honor with a state visit to the White House? I don't think so.

https://www.hrw.org/tag/duterte

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/04/04/when-the-u-s-gives-up-on-human-rights-everyone-suffers/
  • Trump is the President the USA needs today. Micronesians should be glad that he took over the helm because he pledged that he would strengthen Defense which is beneficial to us Micronesians. Democracy would not hold if the USA Defense is weak. Under the Compact Agreement, we agreed wholeheartedly that the Defense of FSM is left to the USA.
  • Meeting of the minds?
  • FM, I think the issues and their underlying causes are different and clear and should be understood. In short, US should not tell Filipinos who should be their President. Let the Philippine National Congress do an investigation about these accusations against President Duterte; and if the President is breaking national PI laws, then, let their political process handle him.

US is not the policeman of the world. Haven't you heard of that old phrase "Ugly American"? While US is generous with money and assistance, that generosity could be misdirected by US political agenda of whoever is President at the moment--to try to influence local politics or try to "teach" by imposing US's values on other people and other cultures.

It's my understanding that PI and US has had a long history--with some good experiences and some bad experiences. A lot of PI people do like the US; and many wish to live and work in the US. On the other hand, many PI people are always suspicious of the US intentions--suspicions based on years of colonial period with behavior and atrocities against PI people and their culture.

If you were to accept the Philippines as a great and independent country; with over 100 millions citizens; many are spread throughout the world working and making lives for themselves; and sending their remittances home; and more, you will appreciate the fact that PI people don't want Trump or US or anybody to carry out policies that are reminiscent of the colonialism period.

As such, any financial assistance that the US is giving to PI should be viewed as investment to ensure that PI and her people will continue to grow and prosper. I think PI is so far developed now that it really does not need US financial assistance.

In short, US should not treat Duterte as a President of a colony--to be told and "schooled" about what is right and what is wrong.

Lastly, regarding the drug war, you would be surprised to hear that a lot of Filipino people are actually supporting President Duterte's program against drug uses: he's not against drug users or addictds but is against the drug dealers.

Drug dealers are the ones causing people to become drug addict and in turn cause family problems because they would steal from family to support their drug addition. Some drug addicts have even killed members of their families in order to get money to buy more drugs. So the focus should be, and is, on DRUG DEALERS, not drug addicts.

So for these notes above, I do agree that Trump's mantra that he or the US should not be the policeman of the world is right and would make other people view the US in better light. Just my thoughts based on my discussions with many Filipino friends--here in Pohnpei as well as in Manila.
  • Of course, it is totally up to the citizens of each country to choose their own government.

And it is totally up to the government and citizens of each country to decide which other countries and leaders to support with money and other assistance....or not support.

Trump has said that he wants an "America First" policy and wants to decrease foreign assistance. But then he reverses himself and praises some of the worst dictators on the planet. No wonder he is unpopular....both at home and abroad.
  • Well said Marc well said. Unpopular with those who didn't vote for him but different with those who did. And yes, its time America put America first. Trying to act like the world cop is another. Let the PI deal with its own domestic policy. Let the us deal with its own.

When Obama tried to schooled the President of the PI that president cursed him and call Obama a a butangi namo (son of a whore).

Live and let live.
  • I don't necessarily like to defend Trump from all accusations against him but I think everybody should give him the benefit of the doubt. Yes, I think he tends to exaggerate descriptions of things but not really lying. He uses a lot of words such as "best", "greatest", "worst", etc.,--just like the way ordinary people talk. As for being stupid, nobody that maintains many businesses and enterprises with values of around $15 Billion, yes, that's with a "B" is stupid.

As for lowest ratings, consider what he has actually accomplished rather than look at polls which always have been wrong about anything that Trump has been doing. Remember when the polls were saying that Hillary had 95% chance of becoming President? Polls are designed by people who could devised questions to get answers that they want to received from the people polled. Just some thoughts on this nice and warm Saturday morning.
  • NOT to mention those being polled are the ones who didn't voted for him so its easy to see why the polls are that way. And like marc said its the same media polls that said Trump didn't have a chance of being POTUS.
  • I don't believe the gentlemen and women on the right have the answer. A wholly conservative solution will always rile up the left.

I also don't believe the gentlemen and women on the left have the answer. A wholly progressive solution will always rile up the right.

The answer is somewhere in between. We just need to put the mud slinging down (on both sides) for just a second, show a little less animus, and, for just long enough to begin a productive dialogue, come to the table and begin to work things through. It sounds crazy saying this, but we (all of us) need to act like adults for a change.
  • Its hard to act like adults when the left as been the one doing all the mud slinging.