Genesis back in the news in Majuro

In Surprise Plea Deal, Most Charges Against RMI Hospital Administrator Dropped

Originally facing 90 criminal charges over bribery scheme, Francis Silk to face no jail time

By Giff Johnson - For Variety

MAJURO, Marshall Islands (Marianas Variety, May 8, 2017) – In a development that surprised law enforcement investigators, a former Majuro hospital administrator obtained a plea agreement with the Marshall Islands Attorney General’s Office last week dismissing 87 of the 90 criminal charges filed against him in 2014.

Former hospital administrator Francis Silk’s attorney John Masek and Deputy Attorney General Johnathen Kawakami reached the agreement the day that jury selection was scheduled to begin for Silk’s long-delayed trial.

He was originally charged in April 2014 with 18 counts each of bribery in official matters, misconduct in public office, theft by deception, securing execution of documents by deception and criminal conspiracy.

The original charges, many of them felonies, claimed he received over $53,600 during an 18-month period for helping the pharmaceutical company Genesis win hundreds of thousands of dollars in hospital supply contracts.

In separate criminal actions in the High Court in Majuro, Genesis was heavily fined by the government and agreed to shut down its Majuro business operations for at least 10 years as a result of the investigation in 2014 that sent its Majuro manager to jail in the bribery scandal.

Tuesday’s plea agreement resulted in Silk pleading “no contest” to three misdemeanor charges of “Securing Execution of Documents by Deception.” At a hearing the same day, Chief Justice Carl Ingram accepted Silk’s pleas on the three charges and found him guilty. The other 87 charges were dismissed.

Law enforcement investigators who had prepared evidence for the upcoming trial said they were surprised by the plea agreement as they had been advised a few days prior to the agreement being reached to be ready for Silk’s trial.

Ingram approved the sentence terms of the plea deal reached by Masek and Kawakami. Silk is to pay $20,000 to the Marshall Islands government, $2,500 of which is due by May 15 and the balance is to be paid at a monthly rate of $750.

Silk will receive no jail term and instead is to perform 50 hours of community service at a rate of 10 hours per month starting June 1. He is banned from seeking or accepting work with the Marshall Islands government for five years, until May 1, 2022.

Marianas Variety
Copyright © 2017 Marianas Variety. All Rights Reserved

Comments

• Nooooo waaaaay,.... a little slap on the butt?
  • The news is all about Silk. How did Genesis get sucked into it?
    Can you guys get over Genesis and Majuro? I don't know you guys but I'm ashamed to read about that unfair justice in RMI.
  • "The original charges, many of them felonies, claimed he received over $53,600 during an 18-month period for helping the pharmaceutical company Genesis win hundreds of thousands of dollars in hospital supply contracts.

In separate criminal actions in the High Court in Majuro, Genesis was heavily fined by the government and agreed to shut down its Majuro business operations for at least 10 years as a result of the investigation in 2014 that sent its Majuro manager to jail in the bribery scandal."
  • My thoughts too FM. But/for Genesis' owner/employees' co-actions in the Marshalls and its continuing results is at issue in this article. Genesis gave the bribe money of $53,000 and Silk received the bribe money of $53,000. That is a fact established to court papers. Genesis paid a fine reportedly at $400,000 while Silk just reached a settlement to be paid at $750 a month. Both were done to avoid court trial and therefore potential jail sentence (called plea bargaining in criminal law). Ergo, Genesis is smack dap middle of the matter. This is just about Genesis as it is about Silk's legal woes in the Marshalls. Genesis could have at least wired the money to Silk to pay off his fines. The lease one can do after screwing another person.

I am still convinced and is therefore my personal opinion (say educated guess) that Genesis more likely than not had bribed people up and down the FSM like there was no tomorrow. The economy here is just as bad in the Marshalls and if Silk fell in such a short time, I wonder how much of Chuuk, Pohnpei and FSM's which have had Genesis since late 1990s. I wonder if the governments buying deals with Genesis were done via a bunch of Ben Franklins to lubricate the coffers/crevices/hands of the governments and the Compact-funded monies for medicines and equipment? I also wonder if the Marshalls should have given Pohnpei, Chuuk, Kosrae, Yap and the FSM governments "leads" to look into their people that deal with Genesis over the years. Oh well, we can only dream of an effective government. My editorials on this palmy holiday.