Portland suspect in 2 slayings on train is known for white supremacist hate speech

BY ALLAN BRETTMAN abrettman@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

Jeremy Joseph Christian, the man accused of aggravated murder in the brutal knife slayings of two good Samaritans on the MAX, has described himself as a sociopath and threatened to kill or stab people in Facebook postings online.

"I AM TROUBLE," he said in an April comment.

He has shared anti-Muslim memes, espoused Nazi beliefs and called Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh a "true patriot."

Christian, 35, was booked into the Multnomah County Detention Center on suspicion of aggravated murder and attempted murder early Saturday morning, records show. He was also arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor charges, according to records. He's being held without bail.

He has a criminal history, including felony robbery, kidnapping and weapon convictions, records show. When he was 20 years old, he was shot in the face by Portland police after he robbed a convenience store.

In October 2011, Christian was convicted of being a felon in possession of a firearm in federal court and sentenced to time served, plus three years of supervised release. He violated the terms of his release several times – in August 2012 for testing positive in an urine test for use of "spice,'' or synthetic marijuana, and failing to attend treatment a month earlier. He agreed to to go to a residential re-entry center, but then violated supervision again by not staying at the re-entry center and was sentenced to another nine months in custody in 2013.

On his Facebook page, Christian has spoken of his Nazi sympathies and posted a picture of Adolf Hitler in an album he called "Good Stuff." The Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks extremist groups, said his posts reflected "an individual all over the political spectrum but indicates that he holds some racist and other extremist beliefs."

In one post, he says: "I want a job in Norway cutting off the heads of people that Circumcize Babies....Like if you agree!!!"

In March, he told someone on Facebook: "Since you brought up Violence I'm gonna stab some masked up bitchs protesting Black Metal shows as soon as they touch me."

Last December, he posted a photo of the Jonestown Massacre, saying, "I hold Revolutionary Suicide in the Highest Esteem!!!"

Christian's friends on Facebook unfollowed him throughout the day Saturday. More than 40 had unfriended him by evening.

Christian was a participant in the April 29 "March for Free Speech" on 82nd Avenue in Montavilla. He posted an OregonLive video of the event to his Facebook page, referencing himself as "the Lizard King" as he walked among fellow protesters holding American flags and "Trump Make America Great Again" flags.

Christian was draped with the American flag and reportedly chanting the N-word throughout the march.

Conservatives, liberals and anarchists rejected Christian at the march.

"Nobody likes me," Christian wrote when he shared the video.

Comments

• This story that Jeremy Joseph Christian the man in facts so called matter story is a Bernie Supporter. He voted for Bernie Sanders who is a Democrat who lost to Hillary.

Second Timothy Mcveigh was anti federalists. It means he was against the US Government in general. He disliked both Democrats and Republicans.

The man above Jeremy Joseph Christian, tried joining The Trump side but was kicked out by the trump side.
  • Anti Jew and anti Christian too.

Nice try but that dude is a anti-federalist like Timothy Mcveigh who you tried to cconnect to the republicans but the record show that Timothy hated the republicans same as the democrats.

Jeremy Joseph Christian on the other hand voted democrat last election. He voted for Bernie.
  • Sorry, PS. Americans vote by secret ballot and no one can know how one person votes.....no matter what the right wing fake news reports.

In any case, this guy's racist, anti-muslim, white supremacist recorded words and actions speak for themselves.....spin or no spin, vote or no vote.

i condemn his words and actions. Do you?

• sorry FM but he admitted in his Facebook that he voted for and supported Bernie.

Anti Jew and Christian too don't forget. I condemn his action and the fact that he a liberal not to mention that the media portrayed him as a republican.
  • Once again, I condemn his hateful words and actions. Do you?
  • His action yes.
  • You don't condemn his words when he was assaulting the two teenage girls - one black and one wearing a hijab - with racist and anti-muslim hate speech?

That is okay to you?

It's not okay with most civilized people....including the two white guys who died defending the girls.
  • From what I gather the guy is mentally unstable. From what I gather he was using his free speech in the same way liberals used theirs to verbally attack those who disagree with them.

Is this hate speech?
    "He told us to go back to Saudi Arabia and he told us we shouldn't be here, to get out of his country," Mangum told KPTV. "He was just telling us that we basically weren't anything and that we should just kill ourselves."

If those two guys would have minded their own business they wouldn't be dead but no they wanted to be heroes. As far as im concern Jeremy Joseph Christian was a asshole no doubt about that but a racist well that's what the media says. I hope he get the full measure of the law for what he did.

When a couple of blacks kidnapped a white autistic kid and taped him up and beat him up and livestream it on Facebook the media didn't label them racist or call their act a hate crime. But this case they were quick to call the alleged killer a racist. We don't know the facts or what happened but it will all come out. And i repeat I hope he gets the full measure of the law for his alleged crime.
  • Is this hate speech?
    "He told us to go back to Saudi Arabia and he told us we shouldn't be here, to get out of his country," Mangum told KPTV. "He was just telling us that we basically weren't anything and that we should just kill ourselves."

Yes it is hate speech. It's as hateful as speech can be. I am surprised and disappointed that you do not recognize it as such.

When good people ignore hate speech and "mind their own business," hate wins and we all lose. It's a matter of basic decency.

• Its not hate speech. You factsmatters are a liberal and you repeat what the media says. Telling someone to go back to their country is not hate speech. Telling someone to go kill themselves is not hate speech. Ive been told the exact same thing in this forum from the same liberals in here.

If hed have said towel heads, camel jockeys, sand ni**ers, Ali baba, brown jasmine, Abdul sex slave then yeah but he didn't.

Hate speech is what Kathy Griffin did. The media supported her and say it was artistic and free speech.
  • @FactsMatter what are your thoughts on the recent terrorist attacks in London? Why aren't you condemning them as racist and terrorist? What are your thoughts on why the liberal media isn't calling it Arab terrorist and racist?
  • I condemn ALL terrorist attacks no matter who does them. I do not defend any terrorists or any terrorist actions. I hope you do the same.

And the mainstream media IS reporting the London atrocity as a terrorist attack because British authorities have labeled it that way.
  • It took the media 18 hours to call it a terrorist attack even when all the evidences point towards it. But it took the mainstream media 3 hours to call a asshole in Portland a terrorist.
  • If you do not even read what I write, discussing anything intelligent with you is hopeless.

Here is what I wrote in the other thread:

"I condemn ALL terrorist attacks no matter who does them. I do not defend any terrorists or any terrorist actions. I hope you do the same.

And the mainstream media IS reporting the London atrocity as a terrorist attack because British authorities have labeled it that way." [After investigating and verifing their e-information.]

But since you only believe what Trump and his wingnut supporters tell you to believe, discussion with you is, sadly, a hopeless waste of time.
  • Sorry there FM but unlike you I do t drink kool aid from the mainstream media cooler.

And no this guy was from the Bernie sanders liberal camp. He voted for Bernie who is a liberal democrat and you and the media is trying to fool everyone by saying he a republican which is also a fact.