The 5 Biggest Moments From The Comey Hearing

Fired FBI director James Comey's hearing was on Thursday; it has been all the rage on the news and among political junkies everywhere. There will be all kinds of scrutinized psychoanalysis of every word uttered by Comey for the rest of the day, but here were the five biggest moments from the Comey hearing.

1. Comey said that former Attorney General Loretta Lynch attempted to influence Hillary Clinton's email investigation. The Daily Wire's James Barrett highlighted the relevant quote:

"At one point, the Attorney General [Lynch] told me not to call it and investigation but instead to call it a 'matter,' which confused and concerned me," the former FBI director told the committee Thursday. "But that was one of the bricks in the load that led me to conclude I have to step away from the [Justice] Department if we're to close this case credibly."

Barrett also quoted a passage from Erick Erickson's piece that reads, "This comes on the heels of Comey saying he largely scrapped the Clinton investigation because of Lynch’s private meeting with Bill Clinton. That sounds way more like obstruction of justice than Trump just asking Comey if he might wind down the Flynn investigation when Comey did not do so afterwards."

2. Comey basically admitted that not only is Trump not under investigation, he didn't obstruct justice. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) did a fantastic job in questioning Comey, especially when, after it was established that Trump had asked Comey to announce publicly that he wasn't under investigation, Rubio asked Comey, "So he was asking you to do what you have done here today?" Comey admitted that this was true but he was reluctant to make the announcement as FBI director in case he had to make a subsequent stating Trump was under investigation.

3. Rubio also exposed the fact that leaks during the Russian investigation have been designed to hurt Trump. "This investigation is full of leaks left and right. We've learned more from the newspapers sometimes than we do from our open hearings for sure," Rubio said. "You ever wonder why, of all the things in this investigation, the only thing that's never been leaked is the fact that the president was not personally under investigation despite the fact that both Democrats and Republicans in the leadership of Congress knew that and have known that for weeks?"

Comey responded, "I don't know. I find matters that are briefed to the Gang of Eight are pretty tightly held, in my experience."

As The Right Scoop noted, Rubio's question basically showed that all of the leaks from the Russian investigation have been all negative toward Trump yet the most crucial piece of information about Trump not being personally investigated has not been leaked.

Comey's answer that congressional leadership keeps such information under wraps doesn't make sense given that there have been abundance of leaks about the investigation, so clearly they're not doing a good job at keeping such information from the public unless it's something positive about Trump.

4. Comey admitted that he leaked the information in his memo in order to push for a special counsel. Per The Weekly Standard: (emphasis bolded)

"The president tweeted on Friday after I got fired that I better hope there's not tapes. I woke up in the middle of the night on Monday night because it didn't dawn on me originally, that there might be corroboration for our conversation. There might a tape. My judgment was: I need to get that out into the public square. I asked a friend of mine to share the content of the memo with a reporter - didn't do it myself for a variety of reasons. I asked him to because I thought that might prompt the appointment of a special counsel."

It's also worth noting that Comey said he decided to leak the content of the memo after Trump tweeted about there being tapes, but that can't be true because The New York Times article detailing the memo was published a day before the Trump tweet Comey referenced. 

Leftist attorney Jonathan Turley suggested in a post that Comey's leaking could have violated the law.

5. Comey confirmed that a New York Times report claiming that members of Trump's campaign team were in contact with the Russians was false. Via Townhall:

First, Sen. James Risch asked Comey about the February report, asking if it was a fair statement to say the story was not true. “In the main, it was not true," Comey replied. "The challenge, and I'm not picking on reporters, about writing on classified information is: The people talking about it often don't really know what's going on, and those of us who actually know what's going on are not talking about it." He added, "And we don't call the press to say, ‘Hey, you got that thing wrong about this sensitive topic.' We just have to leave it there." Sen. Tom Cotton later returned to the Times’ story, asking Comey if the report was “almost entirely wrong.” The former FBI director answered in the affirmative.

This is another blow to the leftist narrative about Trump-Russia collusion. Who would have thought that a report based on anonymous sources would have been inaccurate?
http://www.dailywire.com/news/17318/5-biggest-moments-comey-hearing-aaron-bandler

Comments

• The truth shall set you free but sadly that won't happen since the media has been discredited and now the American people know what Trump meant by Fake news is full of Covfefe.

@FactsMatters and the liberal junkies in here what are your thoughts on being Proven wrong and to the fact that all the Trump collusion stories you posted have in here have been Proven to be false and are fake news. Eat your cake at your designated safe space and invite SakaSaka and Ina Chuuk and Sarem Chuuk and nesian691 to join you. All have been Proven to be morons.
  • The media is sound deaf. They ignored that comey say trump not under investigation didn't try to shut down investigation and trump teams never was in contact in Russia. They missed all that and all they came up with the hearings was trump is a liar. Oh the irony.
  • The media is shit and always has been. When the media stopped being journalist and started being political I stopped taking their words. The days of honest journalists is over the moment Walter Cronkite died.