Comments

• If this is valid news then we should be making plans on maintaining our own resources.

I've been reading posts from many active members of this forum and very impressed of the knowledge and expertise in many issues regarding our nation and major developed countries influencing our everyday living. Lets see if anyone can contribute to this thread and generate some kind of objective and goal we can consider feasible and sustainable for our nation and the generations to come.
  • A way to generate an organic food supply system from within the islands for the island people which will benefit the us and stop relying on geneticaly experimented food products which contriputed greatly on why we have so many unexplained illnesses on our islands.
  • Diabetes is explainable, preventable, and directly related to our diet of imported food and our lack of exercise. So yes, I strongly agree we need more locally grown foods.
  • Those are very original CocoBoy and FactsMatter. smh

No more reading the chapters of CocoBoy and FactsMatter in my bible. tsk..tsk..tsk!
  • I did not see any mention of how the bacteria entered into the food. Is this from the tabloids?
  • Dearhunter, I clearly understand that those are organic produced foods. Those are more healthier food than what we normally get from our import partners. You mention something about your bible. Bible people don’t express selfish comments, but beneficial information to help us all. Plus, there are many ways that agriculture can prove to you that can be used to speed up growth of farm products. They can also provide all side effects created by such process. My point of view targets on how to help minimize diseases caused by imported food products that are not healthy for the people. It will be better also if our congress implement laws that can stop importation of such food to our islands.
  • Dearhunter, your point is valid. We have the means to be self sustainable through agriculture but unfortunately we do not have the willpower necessary to commit to such a cause.
  • @CocoBoy, simply i am expressing how much i look up to you and @FactsMatter as mentors here in this forum. Reading several of your posts has proven to be beneficial in many ways which provides members to see a better perspective of issues. Please accept my apologies for offending you with my sarcastic but nevertheless it was and always is with good intentions.

I was mistakenly banned for the last 3 days. LOL! Hence my delay in responding. So sorry for that too!

You guys want to see something interesting?

AQUAPONICS.

There you go CocoBoy. Thats one of the many contributions i have in store and damn if someone else beats me to it but for the better and sustainable measure to be considered.

Anyone wants to be partners in this venture, drop a line.
  • Deerhunter, aquaponics can produce affordable and healthy food on high islands with sufficient annual rainfall and reservoir capacity to provide the large quantities of freshwater needed for aquaponic systems. It is less viable on the low-lying coral atolls. It was tried many years ago on Kwajalein Atoll, for example, and failed due to the scarcity of freshwater.
  • Sadly though, in the FSM, agriculture is not a major concern for our governments. It is one of the least funded State departments within the whole FSM and I don't even think the FSM National Government has an Agriculture department.
  • FactsMatter, I apologised once for my style of sarcasm tinted with admiration to CocoBoy and you of course. So please, don't force my tongue. It has a mind of its own.:-)

But first, hats off to the genius that came up with the idea to try this out on Kwajalein. Especially when the system runs mostly on water!

Oh! my apologies! Are you by any chance netting from a low-lying coral island, on a coconut tree catching the wi-fi breeze, hence the concern for low-lying coral islands of course. Ok-ok, im joking!:-)

Assuming your knowledge of failed projects in the region, you are well versed on the subject? Even though, may I respectfully say your like me where at this age, we sometimes forget that we can still see beyond the horizons. haha...ok sorry again...sheeesh!!

Doesnt it make too much sense?

All the FSM states can run this. In the event you will be needing any on your low lying atoll place of abode, we can always fly some over. Help Support FSM Air!

• @coconuts

My ole man taught me that "Waiting intensifies waiting" lol!

Bless his soul!
  • Radical Homemaking is an option
  • The very popular phrase:

EAT A LOCAL!

Originally meant to read: Go Local; Eat Local
  • UN food agency visits drought hit Marshall Islands

Drought in remote atolls of the Marshall Islands has prompted a visit from the the UN Food and Agriculture Organization, or FAO.

Its senior officer Frank Chopin was part of a team that went to Wotje atoll to talk to people about which crops were still growing and what help they needed.

Mr Chopin said importing food was not a good alternative.

"Getting a boat to some of the remote atolls is quite expensive. And then you have to look at how regular is that boat service to the islands," he said.

"So the more that people can become resilient, grow their own food, catch their own fish, that's really where I think a lot of the islanders would like to be and that's the type of support we would like to provide them with."

Mr Chopin said the FAO would provide seeds and seedlings to help re-establish household gardens.

The local high school would also be assisted to help the community develop better gardening practices including soil enrichment and pest management.

https://www.radionz.co.nz/international/programmes/datelinepacific/audio/2018635547/un-food-agency-visits-drought-hit-marshall-islands
  • lol@sinbad. We are what we eat. LOL@go eat a local!
  • FATHER Francis Hezel once noted that most Micronesians live in two worlds: in their indigenous community and in an increasingly Americanized urban center. Both worlds represent very different economies, value systems and social relationships.

But the social and symbolic significance of food remains one of the most important aspects of life in Micronesia.

Chuuk native Koin Nethon believes that sharing food is an expression of solidarity that validates kinship ties and defines a host of rights, duties and obligations between people.

However, an increasing reliance on cash economy and imported food has become part of an individual or small family unit’s daily life.

Today, boiled rice, bread, pancakes, ramen noodles and canned meat are too costly to share with relatives or neighbors.

But many island residents still have to rely on a subsistence economy. Fishing and agriculture remain important resources for their survival. Today, there is minimal sharing while many depend on welfare programs.

There are also several non-profit or charitable organizations that provide help to those in need.

Among these organizations are the Empty Vessel Ministry Foundation which depends on volunteers and donations.

After Typhoon Soudelor hit Saipan in Aug. 2015, Empty Vessel founder Rose Smith said: “Over 6,000 community members received help. But today more than a thousand continue to struggle with unmet needs.”

Empty Vessel volunteers Arlene Silva and Tanya Salas said sharing and giving are still important values in island communities.

Sharing, giving, and volunteering in Micronesia 11 Apr 2018 By Christy Sakaziro - sakazirochristina@yahoo.com - Palau & Micronesia Humanities Project Director

http://www.mvariety.com/regional-news/103584-sharing-giving-and-volunteering-in-micronesia

• JEMCO is an abject failure and has been the sole cause of the lack of Economic development in Micronesia. COFA II was imposed upon Micronesia by JEMCO Zionist scumbags - Steven Savage, Tom Busanich, and their Jewish cohorts. They've managed to work through several Democratic and Republican Presidential administrations without any changes at the OIA. I think they might be what they call PAOs or Political Action Officers out of the US Central Intelligence Agency's Directorate of Operations, Special Activities Division.