Green Energy

A few years back I read somewhere that a tidal turbine was going to be installed in FSM; I thought near the island of Pohnpei. Did that ever happen?

What is the cost of electricity on the different islands?

What is the state of green energy in FSM?

Comments

• Similar project was implemented in Belau a couple years ago but using wave generators not tidal turbines.
  • WASHINGTON D.C., December 15, 2017 – The Republic of the Marshall Islands will be closer to its goals of greener, more efficient and more reliable energy, following the approval by the World Bank’s Board of Executive Directors of US$34 million for the Sustainable Energy Development Project.

“The Marshallese government is working hard with development partners to meet our targets of 20 percent renewable energy by 2020, and 100 percent renewable energy by 2050,” said Marshall Islands Minister of Finance, Hon. Brenson S. Wase. “We are excited by this new World Bank-supported project, which will significantly boost access to reliable, efficient and ultimately more affordable renewable energy for residents and businesses across Majuro and Ebeye.”

“The Republic of the Marshall Islands is committed to reducing greenhouse gas emissions and addressing the threat of climate change.”

The new project will deliver three components:

Assistance towards the design, supply, installation, and operational support for solar power generation, battery energy storage, and grid management equipment in the capital Majuro, as well the replacement of existing generators to ensure lower emissions and improve operation efficiency in Majuro and Ebeye, until renewable solutions can be deployed.

Technical and operational assistance to reduce energy demand, by improving the efficiency for both the use and supply of electricity from the country’s two public sector utilities KAJUR and MEC, and by encouraging more energy efficiency through public information campaigns overseen by the Ministry of Resources and Development’s Energy Planning Division.

Training and workshops focused on improving energy policies across the Ministry of Finance, Banking and Postal Services, and public sector utilities, in addition to support of studies that will identify further assistance and investments needed in Ebeye and the outer islands of Wotje, Jaluit, Rongrong, and Santo.

“The World Bank stands as a committed development partner of the Marshallese government, for the long-term. Together we will address the challenge of providing affordable and clean energy to the country’s population and of ensuring more efficient energy use across the country,” said World Bank Country Director for Papua New Guinea and the Pacific Islands, Michel Kerf.

The Sustainable Energy Development Project is funded through a US$34 million grant from the International Development Association (IDA), the World Bank’s fund for the most in-need countries.
  • On November 22, 2017 the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) signed a grant agreement with the Government of the Republic of the Marshall Islands to provide grant aid of up to 1.07 billion yen for the Project for the Installation of Solar Electricity Generation System in Ebeye Island.

The project will install solar power generation equipment,a battery system, grid connection equipment and the like on Ebeye Island, which has the second largest population in the country and is located in the Kwajalein Atoll.

These measures will ensure a stable supply of power and reduce the consumption of fossil fuels through the introduction and promotion of renewable energy, thereby contributing to a stronger economic growth base and to countermeasures for the environment and to fight climate change in the Marshall Islands.

With limited energy resources, the Marshall Islands rely on diesel power generation, using imported fuel for more than 99 percent of the power generated. Imported fuel might threaten the stable management of electric utilities due to the fluctuation in global oil prices, and has an impact on the lives of residents due to the high price of electricity when fuel transportation costs are factored in.

As imported fuel is the sole energy source for power generation, the Marshall Islands have energy security vulnerabilities, such as the risk of long-term power outages when there is an equipment malfunction or fuel shipments are delayed by inclement weather.

As Ebeye Island is further dependent on desalination facilities that require a great deal of power for its water supply, a stable supply of power is also essential from the perspective of supplying water to residents.

The project will promote the introduction of renewable energy on Ebeye Island, and it is expected that the project will make a contribution toward achieving the target of providing 20 percent of the power supply with renewable energy by 2020, which was established by the Government of the Marshall Islands.
  • All thise things won't account matter so long as the Marshall islands take part in flag of convenience. I have pointed this out to Marshallese leaders including RMI senators Kaneko and Tibon, but morning has been taken to reduce RMIs footprints in flag of convenience.

• Island of Yap opens ADB-backed renewable energy plants

February 13 (Renewables Now)
    - The island group of Yap in the Federated States of Micronesia has officially opened a couple of renewable energy facilities that will bolster its energy reliability and security.

The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the government of Micronesia today inaugurated one wind park near Yap’s only urban centre -- Colonia, and a grid-connected solar power system that was installed on five government buildings across the island. The project also saw aging diesel generators being replaced by new ones.

The project helps the state of Yap reduce its dependency on imported diesel for power generation, stated James Lynch, Deputy Director General of ADB’s Pacific Department. The wind farm, which is capable of withstanding typhoons, is expected to produce about 11% of the current delivered electricity supply in Yap. The solar arrays, on the other hand, will generate some 6%.

ADB provided USD 9 million (EUR 7.3m) for the project, while the Yap state government contributed USD 2.1 million in counterpart financing.

(USD 1.0 = EUR 0.810)

https://renewablesnow.com/news/island-of-yap-opens-adb-backed-renewable-energy-plants-601616/
  • My guess is Gavlilan is asking about the wave generator that was going to generate all the electricity for the island of Kosrae.
    Read all about it here:
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/12/kosrae-micronesia-wave-power_n_1088472.html

I heard the company installing the generator wanted some upfront money from Kosrae which did not materialize. No generator.

I also remember hearing about the possibility of a tidal generator at the Nett bride, but never any official plans.

Look through this forum and old copies of the Kasalehlie Press and you'll probably find dozens of examples of people signing "MOU"s for great projects, soon to be realized, then you never hear about them again.
  • Tirow...tirow...

As we are all aware (hopefully) that the Pacific Islands are experiencing the worst effects of climate change due to carbon emissions from fossil fuels (diesel, natural gas, dirty coal). Every nation relies on a source of energy to maintain production facilities, government, transportation, etc. Despite knowing this heavy correlation between climate change and carbon emission from fossil fuels, the FSM government is not doing much to divest from fossil fuel importation.

I found this interesting website that calculates FSM total export and import values and breaks it down through each sector. To my dismay, the FSM's #1 import commodity is Refined Oil which accounts for 32% of total imports or $51.8 million dollars ($51,800,000 for perspective).

Could this be a new talking point in our nation's pursuit to be a climate-resilient economy? Speak to your leaders, family, and friends about it.

Here is the website so that you may view the figures and data visualizations that I talk about.
    https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/fsm/

Cheers to the pursuit of an educated Micronesian community

Tirow...tirow...
  • Thanks for sharing your research, TirowWannior . It's a shame that $51.8 million per year is being wasted on oil instead of being spent on education, healthy food, and health care.
  • Thanks for this information. Great and useful.
  • It is encouraging to hear some progress has been made; but it seems sooooo slooooowwwww.
  • TirrowWannior...

I looked at the report you mentioned and was stunned to see that some of the top exports it listed were "Fish Fillets ($1.79M), Broadcasting Equipment ($849k), Molluscs ($453k) and Electric Motors ($242k)." I have NO idea where that information came from. Who is producing $1.79M worth of fish fillets? I'm not aware of any, though it's almost certain that my information is incomplete. Who manufactured and exported $849,000 work of broadcasting equipment? I suppose it could be that Mollusks are being exported but I don't know by whom or how. $242,000 worth of electric motors? We're hard pressed to even get them repaired here.

I'm really not criticizing the report. The per capita GDP seems right but the exports seem wrong. If the exports are wrong (and I'm not saying they are), are the reported imports correct?
    Do you know what the report was based on?

Man, I hear the poster who said that KPress has article after article of MOU's that have been signed and never heard from again. I was MOST frustrated with lack of information after the gala announcement of wave power in Kosrae so many years ago. It was absolute crickets after the announcement of Kosrae striving to be powered by 100% renewable energy with the proposed wave power plant that never seemed to happen.

Thanks for pointing out this particular report. I wonder if those figures are what the FSM is reporting.
  • edited February 28
    Can you imagine if we do not spend that much on fuel? What would life be like without the imported refined oil? How would students from the outer islands be able to get to Chuuk High or COM. Oops, my bad. On sailing canoe maybe?

What would happen to the daggers victims down on Tol without gasoline motorized boats? Will the acute flu patient survive the canoe ride from Tonoas and the dusty walk from Blue Lagoon Resort to the Truk Hospital? What would energize the X Ray machine at the hospital to confirm a kidney stone, manually cranked generator?

How will the Blue Lagoon Resort be able to satisfy their guests? Would it be fun to go diving on the wrecks paddling canoes to take divers there?

Imagine...

....just some wild thoughts without imported refined oil.
  • edited February 28
    Imported foodstuff should be the supplement for, not supplemented by, locally grown. And that should be something to highlight rather than imported fuel since fuel is life convenience.

Unless, of course, renewable energy can instantly be made and readily available to take over.
  • The most beautiful places in the world have no outlet! With aquawatt solar-powered boats and vessels, you can go with pure solar power.
    A very important advantage is the absolute independence from a power connection or a gas station such as the motorboat.
    Not only the operation in remote areas and nature reserves is thus possible, even on popular lakes berths are rare and for this innovative solar boat satisfies a buoy or it remains moored.

aquawatt 550 solar

SPEED
    With the 1.600 Watt engine quickly over 6 knots. With the 800 Watt engine with full power 4,7 knots,
    by half power 4 knots.

REACH / TRAVEL TIME
    With optimum sunlight can drive six hours continuously at 5.5 knots, goes to 4 knots, this is 10 hours. At night can be driven with 4 knots 4 hours with 5 knotes or comparable 6 hours. Unlimited 2.5 knots - in sunshine 2.

PRIMARY DATA
    The boat is built very easily and safely made ​​of polyester fiberglass. The 3 - shells design with buoyancy makes the boat unsinkable.

Lenghts: 5,5 m, beam: 1,84 m, draft: 0,4 m
    Weight: 480 – 550 Kg
    Engine: 800 Watt oder 1.600 Watt submersible motor with electronic infinitely variable control
    Batteries: 24 V 210 Ah AGM
    Solar cell: 400 Wp bzw. 1600 Wh daily yield on an average summer day in Central Europe
    Battery charge: 70 Ah at 24 V at an average Central European summer
    Sustainability: 4 persons
    CE certification for driving range "D"
    Ausstattung- und Preisliste aquawatt 550 solar

Solar Pacific Cruiser
    Currently, aquawatt Australia created the hull number 1 of a planned series of small solar catamarans.
    Length 10 meters, width 4.5 meters and weight 3.000 kg.
    Drive with 2 aquawatt Green Power outboard motors.
    Application: excursions in the area of the Great Barrier Reef.

SOLAR MOTOR YACHT
    Complete new way to cruise the seas without having to worrry about fuel costs and any emissions! Imagine to cruise in complete silence and vibrations along the coast! The aquawatt solar powered motor yacht enables you to reach your destination on 100% electric powered motors, delivered from solar energy.
    For emergencies such as medical or bad weather related cases, two fuel economic diesel engines can be used to reach your port in any case!

aquawatt Solar Water Bus

SOLAR WASSER BUS
    The aquawatt solar water bus is designed to travel between islands, on channels, lagoons and city waterways. It operates best emission free in warm and sunny regions. Zero fuel cost enabled with its large solar roof top, the solar water bus is a very good way to avoid all kinds of emissions such as exhaust , noise and wave patterns.
    It’s ideal for places such as Venice, Dubai World, Maledives etc.

aquawatt Solar Water Bus

MEDICAL SERVICE BOAT
    The medical service boat from aquawatt is designed to power its medical equipment on board with the use of its solar energy and its batteries. It can operate also for longer periods of time without disturbing the environment with noise and exhaust emissions.
    In remote island regions without shore power, the medical service boat is a great way to bring the surgery right to each islands! Imagine once a month you can visit the dentist!

aquawatt Medical Service Boat

AQUAWATT 715 SOLAR TAXI
    This solar powered boat is built based on the famous electric yacht aquawatt 715 and has a sophisticated hull with extremely low driving resistance.
    Ideal as a port taxi as well as for bays and channels.

A solar Roof extends over the entire Cockpit. Under the roof tarpaulins side panels are attached which can be withdrawn.
    Thus, the passengers are in the dry by rain. The solar cells on the foredeck are walkable and non-slip.

Also this boat has a swim platform with boarding ladder.
    The driver sits facing the passengers, this is particularly pleasant when the driver has a function as a guide and to make statements.
    aquawatt 715 solar can already appealing a speed of about 10 km/h without access the batteries.

aquawatt 715 solar taxi
    Lenghts: 7,15 m
    Beam: 2,25 m
    Weight total ca. 1.300 kg
    Max. persons: 7 persons
    Solar power theory: 1.064 Wp
    Effective yield per solar day average calculated for the latitude of Austria is 3010 Wh (watt hours)

Engine: Inboard engine, stepless electronical regulated, 4,39 kW or 6 kW

maximum speed with 2 persons by 6 kW = 8 knots = 15 km/h
    maximum speed with 2 persons by 4,39 kw = 7,3 knots = 13,5 km/h

Operating time in getting daily use:
    1 hour at 3.000 watt, 3 hours at 1.000 watt and 4 hours average at 800 watt.

Operating time when using on weekend:
    If, for example, only driven on weekends and used the rest of the week to load, the attended times is much higher.

This boat can go directly to the solar energy 4 knots. If you drive faster energy comes from the batteries.

Maximum possible driving time at night (only batteries) with 3.000 watt = 5 hours
    Maximum possible driving time at night (only batteries) with 1.000 watt = 16 hours
    Maximum possible driving time at night (only batteries) with 800 watt = 20 hours

Charging time of the batteries 80% discharged, by idle boat : 5 sunny days
    Batteries: 8 x 12 Volt, 180 Ah AGM, system voltage 48 Volt
    Overhead clearance: 2 meters
    Operating range: protectice waters
    Certification: area D

Price with 4,39 kW engine and AGM batteries, export price from Euro 90.000.-

aquawatt 715 solar taxi

Anschrift aquawatt Mechatronik und Yachtbau
    Dieter Seebacher
    Wasserstraße 1
    A-9062 Moosburg, Austria
    Icon Tel+43 4272 82 256
    Icon FAX+43 4272 82 257
    Icon Emailinfo@aquawatt.at
    Home
    Inquiry & Contact

http://www.aquawatt.at/GB/solarmobilitaet_18_GB.html
  • The thousands of barrels of expensive diesel fuel imported each year to the FSM are mostly used to generate electricity. While solar panels, wind turbines, and hydropower are replacing oil and diesel generators all over the world, FSM is sadly being left behind. Imported gasoline and oil for vehicles and boats is only one part of this equation....and not the major part.
  • i am using it from last 1.5 yrs. its good keeping in view how much you are paying for. i paid 24500 for 2kv generator set, don't know the current price. had to visit gen mechanic once, he charged 600 for just checking and did some thing to it and after that it is running fine.just look for the oil level and air filter, good in a sense at least you don't have to rush for petrol or diesel. As far as parts are concern i have heard that they are available with little "khawari" but so far no experience about it. Sound is normal like other generators.