Cost of imported pig feed

Does anyone know the average pig feed prices in the FSM?

Comments

• $23.00 grower & $33.00 Starter
  • It's a lot of money spent to raise and maintain pigs--several pigs--in Pohnpei which are important part of cultural ways. We used to have $15 pig feed but not anymore. I heard that Pohnpei import about 3 to 4 million dollars worth of animal feed per year.

I think there is an opportunity here for a business that focuses on making/selling pig feed. It is my understanding that COM Land Grant has been doing research/evaluation work on tapioca that could be used for pig feed. It also my understanding that a Japanese or Chinese-based company in Pohnpei is processing discarded fish from the fishing boats--these can be used for making pig feed. Also, there are a lot of copra cake that are being sold locally that are also used for pig feed.

I think a pig feed mill can be established in Pohnpei--using these locally available ingredients--in order to reduce the selling price of the pig feed. It should not be an expensive feed mill that would require a foreign investor's money. It probably could be established for less than $50,000; and I am sure the Development Bank can provide the loan for this needed and demanded commodity. Just some thoughts and if somebody is interested in setting one up or organizing a small local corporation to tackle this opportunity, it'll be good to know; so actions can be taken.
  • The cost of grower is $23.00 and the cost for STARTER!!!...$36.95 freakin dollars.
  • Get someone to build a “Micro” brewery, and import grain to make the beer. What is left after the beer is made is fed to the pigs. Double use of the imported product reduces all expenses for the brewer and the farmer.

Just saying....
  • SC, it seems a good idea but I think we'll still have to factor in the shipping cost for importing the grain or whatever are ingredients you're talking about for the beer. It also means the micro brewery's beers must also compete with some cheap imported beers such as Ice, etc., that are one-dollar better--popular for common low budget drinkers. Having said these, what you're saying seems to make sense; so somebody should really try to cost it out. It is possible that by utilizing the used grains could lower the costs of the micro brewery beer as well as the animal feed.

The other option is using local resources as us locally-grown cassava, fish meal or copra cake in order to reduce costs since these items will not be imported. Just some ideas for this product that might be worth investing in.
  • Good suggestion, Marz.