FSM Transition into US

This has been an issue for quite a long time esp. Families with children coming into the states. Parenting is not the same in the US with increasing crime towards minors. I'm wondering if there is a such a organization either in Guam or Hawaii that can help these families transition into society and not face hardship later or possibly losing kids to foster homes with parents in jail. I understand we all have plenty of family who can come to rescue. I think having a center with something can surely help. I thinks it's best if they just grab the information in Pohnpeian Language in the PNI airport before they leave. This could be a great campaign initiative for next year.

Comments

• This is irrelevant since its about the US. Lets keep it about Micronesia. Discussions about the outside world or anything outside of FSM is a no go here.
  • edited October 20
    @Rastaman

Discussions about Micronesians traveling is not about Micronesia? Hooked on phonics.. try it sometime. It could do you a lot of good.

@Lihndanpei

Ignore Rastaman. He/She is just salty that no one appreciates his/her desire to avoid reading thread titles and flood everywhere with his dogmatic view of the world. Sad, really.

IMHO, parenting is generally lacking here. Yes, I said it. If your reading this and you're someone who assumes food and clothing are the total extent of parenting- you're wrong. I think you'll find there are a great many Micronesians who travel abroad and, although not all may be terribly successful financially or career wise, they adjust and fit in, as best they can at least. You speak to these people and they display the tell tale signs of being subjected to proper parenting- work ethic, consideration of others, humility and pride in the appropriate moments. Then you meet the "others". Loud and proud for no good reason; fixated on the material; walking examples of what not to say or do in public. I can't quantify this but I suspect parenting is the difference between these groups. For those of a proper upbringing, the pamphlet would/should give them a better understanding of what to expect- they could/would benefit from the information . For that "other" group, I'm not saying "don't waste the ink" but, it might take a little more than a pamphlet.
  • Oh i don't mind the wind whistling about. I'm in a great place to relax and switch off when I need to. It's interesting to see children\grown children post here without really thinking about how their language reflect their maturity. I'm just going to let them fuel their own fire. Nothing I can do to help there, well maybe send some candy since it's on sale in the US. Anyhoo. I appreciate the feedback and glad to hear people are chiming in. We'll wait for the rest of the parents to notice it and bring in some ideas. I see a lot of noice on FB about issues but nobody is doing anything. I surely don't need it or need any political votes. I'm merely pointing out some initiatives. I give advice where I can but not everyone will listen. I get it. Is it not better to know ahead of time? I remember speaking to people in PNI, it's hard to pass that prying/nosey normal conversations. People hate to talk about issues, rumors and nonsense always trump the important topics everywhere you go. It's just the culture, requires a little more effort to get past people's immediate interests.
  • its irrelevant. Totally not allowed. Lets keep ignorant of what's happening in the outside world. Keep it Micronesian wise. Within Micronesia.
  • @LihnDanpei

I'm not implying it won't help anyone. I actually think it will. I was just stating, there are deeper issues here and some will require something more. By all means, give the head's up though- for those it can reach, it will be worthwhile.
  • This question is pertinent. Yes there are at least two resources to help migrants with understanding their new environment when they arrive in their new home. The first is in Guam, the Micronesian Resource One Stop Shop, https://www.onestopmicronesia.org/. The other is in Hawaii, We are Oceania, http://www.weareoceania.org/. Both organization provide training and orientation for FAS citizens who have newly arrived.
  • Important questionimage
  • @Ohlman,

Kalahngan en share mwahu. I am pretty impressed with the two programs. That brings us to legal representation for all the Micros in jail. This summer, i drover almost across country to visit my family and found out that most of my cousins, all male have spend time in Jail. I would have dropped everything to show up at their hearing to find out why their sentences are so freaking long. Aside from losing children, lose important family members who are contributing to family support is a huge one too. My little brother, bless his heart, is a translator to the courts in IA. This question is for the FSM embassy, is there a person or resources allocated to help families in this situation esp. when it's little counts that may lead to permanent deportation? Again, let me know what's out there.
  • Before I forget to mention, let's not talk about who deserve what. It's beside the point at this time. It's for those people who didn't finish elementary school, may have drinking problems and minor misconducts under the influence. They may not understand the plea and let's all face it, with a brown face and heavy slow accent, the public defenders will not give them the same time and attention as someone who ask informative questions. Our culture discourage hackling and male status in Micronesia is different. Being tough, quiet and proud will not help.