Kaboom! Space Force: President Trump Signs Order Creating Space Command

The goal of U.S. Space Command is to oversee and organize space operations, accelerate technical advances and find more effective ways to defend U.S. assets in space. (U.S. Defense Department)

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump launched the Pentagon’s new Space Command on Tuesday, an effort to better organize and advance the military’s vast operations in space that could cost as much as $800 million over the next five years.

Trump signed a one-page memorandum Tuesday authorizing the Department of Defense to create the new command.

The goal is to set up a command to oversee and organize space operations, accelerate technical advances and find more effective ways to defend U.S. assets in space, including the vast constellations of satellites that American forces rely on for navigation, communications and surveillance. The move comes amid growing concerns that China and Russia are working on ways to disrupt, disable or even destroy U.S. satellites.

The new order is separate from the president’s much-touted goal of creating a “Space Force” as an independent armed service branch, but is considered a first step in that direction. The memo provides little detail on what will be a long and complicated process as the Defense Department begins to pull together various space units from across the military services into a more coordinated, independent organization.

According to one U.S. official, the command would pull about 600 staff from existing military space offices, and then add at least another 1,000 over the coming years. The roughly $800 million would mainly cover the additional staff. The costs for the existing staff would just transfer to the new command, but that total was not immediately available.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations not yet announced.

Army Lt. Col. Joe Buccino, spokesman for Deputy Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan, said that establishing Space Command is “a critical step in accelerating our space capabilities and posture to defend our vital national interests and deter our adversaries. This combatant command will lead space operations and develop space war-fighting doctrine, tactics and techniques.”

He added that the Pentagon will continue to develop a legislative proposal to meet the president's vision for a space force.

The first steps next year will be to nominate top leaders for Space Command, including a four-star general and a deputy. The command would likely at least begin to take form in Colorado, where the current Joint Functional Component Command for Space is already located. But there has been no final decision on a location for the new command.

Funding for the command will be included in the budget for fiscal 2020, which will be unveiled in February.

Trump's order accelerates what has been a decades-long effort to reorganize and improve the military's technological advances in space, which at times has gotten less attention as the Air Force has focused on warplanes and other combat priorities.

The military's role in space has been under scrutiny because the United States is increasingly reliant on orbiting satellites that are difficult to protect. Satellites provide communications, navigation, intelligence and other services vital to the military and the national economy.

Over the past year, the issue gained urgency amid growing competition and threats from adversary nations.

U.S. intelligence agencies reported earlier this year that Russia and China were pursuing “nondestructive and destructive” anti-satellite weapons for use during a future war. And there are growing worries about cyberattacks that could target satellite technology, potentially leaving troops in combat without electronic communications or navigation abilities.

A U.S. Space Command existed from 1985 to 2002, but was disbanded in the aftermath of the 9/11 terrorist attacks so that U.S. Northern Command could be established, focusing on defense of the homeland.

Although Space Command went away, its functions remained and were absorbed by U.S. Strategic Command. The Air Force retained its lead role in space through Air Force Space Command. That existing space command will be a key component of the new joint entity, raising space to the same status as other headquarters such as U.S. Cyber Command, Special Operations Command or Strategic Command.

The new Space Command will also pull from existing units in the other services, such as Army Space and Missile Command and the Navy’s Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command.

Officials said the process of breaking away parts of other organizations and molding them all into a new command will be done carefully to ensure it’s done correctly without jeopardizing ongoing operations or activities.
https://www.defensenews.com/space/2018/12/18/trump-signs-order-to-create-us-space-command/

Comments

• @redsnapper this is especially for you my space force loving friend. lol
  • They can start by exploring the empty space between your orange monkeys ears
  • edited December 2018
    Trumpn has secured his name and place in history has the father of U.S Space command and U.S Space force and the man who had the vision to secure America's hegemony on the world. This is what real leadership is, not kissing ass like the failed President obama who no longer has a legacy.

Already aligned with the Greats. Right @redsnapper? lol
  • Dow facing worst December since 1931. All 2018 gains wiped out and already taking big pieces of 2017 gains. Fuck man are you in touch with reality? What color is the sun in your planet? I know orangutan orange.
  • We’re talking about someone who sued Bill Maher to prove his mother didn’t have sex with an orangutan resulting in one DJT being born. I shit you not. Retardation of the highest order.
  • Have you raked your yard to prevent forest fires as your baboon suggested. Come on man rake your yard.MAGA. Morons. Space force commander bone spurs. Shits too funny !
  • It wasn't funny when democrat-run California burned like Gomorrah due to unclean forests. They spend public resources giving constituents free stuff, called "social services." But they neglect to clean their forests and maintain public lands. Look at what the democrats have done to Detroit. Once a great city, now combustible urban blight are everywhere. I want to say "morons" too, but that would be rude, especially when there may be many of them in Micronesia too. There's grass growing into the public roads. Meanwhile, governments spend money on same stupid stuff called "social projects." These "free stuffs" are in fact a form of bribery for constituents. In the end, the corruption will turn such places into "s-holes," like Detroit and maybe Haiti. People need to change their views or political party if their place is becoming a s-hole. I hear there are more feces and syringe needles on the sidewalks (on every block) of San Francisco. In many parts of Micronesia, grass have covered the sidewalks. We don't even know if human feces or syringe needles are in there.
  • You need to worry about Flynn and Cohen and manafort summing up to your orange monkey being a horrendous judge of character. So much for best people. But it’s understandable because orange face is himself a con job bs super scam master. How else can a person with nothing in common with your ass connnect? He says the bs you and your retard bunch believe and want to hear. Never mind the need for class, decency integrity proven success (not the my family’s money made me rich kind) and honesty. Just a trust worthy person who truly brings people together by respecting every one. No matter where you’re from and your political persuasion. Sadly, your orange fuck face possesses none of those qualities. That’s why karma for a life long of being a dick is coming together for him. Indictments all around him, and soon his children and then himself. You my unfortunately easily misled fool you get to watch a slow motion crash. I got my popcorn.
  • Lock her up, Mexico will pay, repeal and replace? BS, Double BS and for good measure, triple ass clown BS. Bull shit never tasted so good! Bon appetite trump turds.
  • edited December 2018
    Trump is already aligned with the greatest US Presidents. A patriot who is doing his patriotic duty for free and not getting paid to do this job. Trumps legacy is secured for next thousand years and human history will remember his as one of the Greats. Don't you agree @redsnapper?

lol
  • edited December 2018
    Mexico will pay through the USMCA and Hillary investigations are still under congressional scrutiny as I type. Investigations take time. So I don't worry about Flynn, Cohen or anything mainstream propaganda has to say. What I worry about is my yard. I do need to tidy it up before it becomes like Detroit or San Francisco. "Trump turd" is a new word for me. I researched it in the dictionary and it wasn't in there. What I found in the Oxford dictionary is the term "Libtard." Maybe you should use a real word next time. Here's a link to Oxford website: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/libtard
  • America and China and Russia are on a race. The winner of that race wins it all. This race is to see who will be the first country to control Space. America has a lead by 10-15 years ahead of the Russians and Chinese. Democrats may disagree with it publicly but privately they agree with it. In the future this moment will be see as the pivotal moment that secured americas preeminence in the world.

This is the new manifest Destiny of the future. America spread from sea to sea now its space and with it command of the world itself.
  • you Must be referring to Putin’s bitch.
  • Anunaki,

I share your view on the perceptions of the democratic party. While republicans want national security, democrats want the global power a "spaceforce" may bring about. I am not sure which country is winning the space arms race though. The Chinese did shot down a satellite in orbit over a decade ago. The Russians were the first to space and they have the “Tsar Bomba,” the most powerful nuclear bomb. It’s hard to decipher who is really winning amidst the mainstream distortion. I suspect the truth may alter our sense of security which correlate to our economy and culture. This is one reason why the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge was forbidden in Eden. Without these technological advancements we would have not polluted the Earth nor threaten its existence. Ignorance is truly a bliss, yet we are bent on finding the truth.
  • Orange fuck face during campaign “I know more about ISIS than the generals”. really commander bone spurs? your stupid ass didn’t even consult the pentagon or general Mattis and you declared mission accomplished? FUCK YOU and your retard followers. Putin can’t stop laughing!
  • Now looks like trump shut down is coming. No money for your retarded wall and you still have the house and senate. This orange joker should quit. Repo fuck dude no money for your wall and dems take control in a few weeks? What the matter? You have congress and whitehouse and still no money for your pissing wall. FUCKED!
  • Mattis just quit! Your fuck face Is something and now the pentagon and white House are out of sync. Fuck man Putins is rolling on the floor.
  • All the grown ups in the White House are gone. Only one belligerent orange fuck remains. Have a nice vacation while government employees have no work and income during Christmas. FUCKED.
  • You trump retards should use the go fund me and put in your money for the wall. Why? Because Mexico isn’t paying you dumb fucks.
  • Loved and Respect for Mattis nothing hope the best. He wants the US to remain in Syria and continue this never ending war. Trump wants to end it. If bringing the Troops home means Mattis resigning then so be it. Another Promise fulfilled to end US involvements in foriegn wars.

Good Luck Mattis and wish you nothin but the best. But MAGA waits for no One.

• Middle East has always been a quagmire. Terrorists will come from there as long as there is Islam and the liberal geniuses welcome unvetted migrants from dangerous countries.
  • I forgot orange fuck face knows more about ISIS then even the generals. FUCKED
  • Yes, He does @redsnapper. Under 1 year Isis has been defeated compared to 8 years and Isis grew stronf under Obama. Trump again corrected the failed President obamas mistakes.

MAGA
  • Z, Right you are. DemocRATs want illegals in and terrorists pouring in the country. They were mad at Obama for sending troops there and wanted to have nothing with Syria now they are mad Trump pulled is going to pull our troops from Syria.

ISIS is a shadow of its former self under Trump. ISIS has lost its its last city a few weeks ago. 17,000 ISIS fighters remain, thats 2/3 of a division. Our sole purpose was to defeat ISIS and Trump has accomplished that. Now it's left to the to U.N backed forces to mop them up.

Mattis is a good General i respect his view but he he wants us there. He forgets that Trump also promised his electors and American people that he would bring the troops home if ISIS is done with.

U.S will pull out ground troops from Syria but U.S air assests will still remain.
  • edited December 2018
    COMMANDER 45 AKA SPACE FORCE...LOL

• He looks constipated. Merry Christmas trumpanze
  • Still the President...lol...45....MAGA