POHNPEI GOVERNMENT AND POWER PLANT ISSUES

IS POHNPEI THE ONLY FSM STATE THAT IS SUFFERING FROM POWER PLANT ISSUER. ON AND OFF . ON AND OFF. ON AND OFF. ON AND OFF! WE CITIZENS OF POHNPEI DESERVE TO KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON!

Comments

• Yuchleop,
    Have you been tuning into V6AH? The CEO of PNI Utilities has been going on the air informing the general public and what is going on with our generators, what is happening to attend to this (Repairs) and what does the future looks like for Pohnpei.

• let us not point to the GOvernment...if the power blasted out our home appliances..PUC certainly is not liable...so the Government isnt either...let's be real!
  • The problem we are experiencing with the PUC didn't just happen today. It started about more than a decade ago. The management of the PUC then, missed the opportunity to get financial support from the US RUS for new Generators. The institution (RUS) suppose to provide financial support for at least 4 mega watts of generation capacity only to find out in the process of the proceeds that the PUC could no longer afford the re-payment of the financial assistance. This, coupled with negligence of maintenance of the former generators, the loss of the two Hydro-Electric Generators, the 4 main Diahatsu Generators and the 6 support caterpillars generators. Now, PUC had replaced what is mentioned with Caterpillar Generators that cannot run long hours. On top of these infrastructure setbacks, the PUC does not have any full pledged Engineers in all the main areas of Water & Sewer, Distribution and Generation. I am certain the PUC problems doesn't just stop here but so in many other important components the would improve the PUC. If the PUC were to improve from where it is right now, it should follow what the State of Chuuk did when they were having the same problem.
  • Oalong,
    Thank you for the clarification. I echo your comment that PUC's problems didn't just happen today but merely been having problems ever since. The only difference now is that this PUC Management now is believed to be working diligently on these issues trying to bring PUC back to secure operating status.

I understand that PUC has recently been granted some funds and is beginning it's construction of a new power plant set to be commissioned either next year or the following with low speed units that will be more than enough to accommodate the energy needs of PNI.

To add, a 3MW Solar Farm for 2019 and an additional 270KW to the existing 700KW Solar is now near completion. So PUC has done a lot, but we can only see the bad because of the lack of POWER.
  • i THINK SUB STATIONS FOR REMOTE AREAS WILL HELP WITH POWER DISTRIBUTION. OUR CURRENT SET UP IS THE SAME AS PLUGGING AN EXTENSION CORD TO A MAIN PLUG AND KEPT CONNECTING LINE BY LINE...THE SET UP HOWEVER SUCKS POWER AS WE HAVE SEEN IN IT IN OUR HOMES. THE MAIN DISTRIBUTOR WILL BE ALWAYS BE A PROBLEM.

2 CENTS
  • image ya it's really bad
  • The Government also have a role in this dilemma. They are partly to be blamed. Gov Peterson has done nothing in his administration. Aside from utilities, our roads are at their worst ever in the history of past Governors.
  • Inemenlo, roads, because they're made out of ass' fault (sorry I meant asphalt) do deteriorate over time. No governor since the roads were built in the 80s and the extended from Sapwalap to Rohi in the early 00s by the Japanese Government, had seen no major road-work. These are expensive and need funds from outside. Why blame this Governor on the roads? Be fair.

As for PUC, the timetable is July 2019 for complete upgrade if any of you bother reading KP. Help support KP by paying the $1 and read the articles in KP.