U.S. green cards only for immigrants with 'green'?

The Trump administration continues to play dice with access to food, health care and housing.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has unveiled a regulation designed to permit overt class discrimination in the immigration process.

Expected to take effect Oct. 15, a new criterion for “Inadmissibility on Public Charge Grounds” appears to skew the process for seeking legal permanent status in the U.S. in favor of high-income immigrants.

Immigrants benefiting from public assistance will be denied green cards if their cases transpire after implementation of the rule.

The rule structurally dramatizes how the U.S. penalizes poverty and stigmatizes immigrant communities as categorically other than “us.”

The existing definition of public charge, according to the 1996 regulations, was a person primarily dependent on government assistance programs — such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, Supplemental Security Income or long-term Medicaid cases — for more than half their income.

The new rule expands the definition to include potentially hardworking Americans who legally use Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, Medicaid and housing choice vouchers.

Although current green card holders, some military personnel, expectant mothers and their children would be exempt from the rule, such practices cultivate a culture of fear for immigrants and reinforce public rhetoric that targets nonwhite immigrants.

People may unenroll from programs that they need out of fear of retribution and caution not to self-disqualify from the green card approval process. T

The new rule could force immigrant families to choose between having a green card and securing food, remaining healthy or obtaining housing stability.

As another tactic of cherry-picking U.S. citizens along the line of race and class, the new rule also raises questions about deservedness and belonging.

We are again experiencing the litmus test of “Americanness” rooted in whiteness and capitalism. This reduces human beings to their economic worth and capacity to serve white interests.

Whiteness refers to more than simply skin color or ancestry; white supremacy is a logic that governs lives and thinking and aims to silence and work against the legitimacy of nonwhites.

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE: https://thehill.com/opinion/immigration/459233-green-cards-only-for-immigrants-with-green

Comments

• Micronesians are not green card immigrants.
  • Wrong, my friend. Some Micronesians are green card immigrants seeking to become U.S. citizens.

"FSM and RMI citizens admitted to the United States under the Compacts may become lawful permanent residents [green card holders], however, if they are otherwise eligible under immigration laws, either through the immigrant visa process or by adjustment of status within the United States. People generally must be granted lawful permanent resident status in the United States before they can apply for naturalization as a U.S. citizen. "

https://www.fsmgov.org/status.pdf
  • Micronesians are permanent residents without green card. The COFA says it all. Free to come and go and stay for as long as they want without a green card.

Micronesians don't need visa too.

How many lies must you spin?
  • No lies, just facts, my friend. Your are the one spreading lies and misinformation.

Read the official U.S. document I posted, including these two sentences on page four:

FSM and RMI citizens admitted to the United States under the Compacts may reside, work and study in the United States. They do not have the status of lawful permanent residents (also known as Green Card holders) under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA)."

In plain language, in order to become naturalized U.S. citizens, Micronesians must change their legal status from non-immigrant residency to permanent residency. This requires a visa.

Micronesian citizens living in the U.S. do not have all the same legal rights as legal permanent resident/green card holders or U.S. citizens.

https://www.fsmgov.org/status.pdf
  • For non- immigrant statue to green card holder and to become a U.S citizen is a deligent procxess but now a waste of times and efforts includong resources in regard to the new whit nationalist rule.
  • Law-abiding Micronesians living in the U.S. do not need to adjust their status in order to remain there.

However, certain jobs and benefits in the U.S. are only open to U.S. citizens. That is why some Micronesians go through the visa/green card process to become naturalized U.S. citizens.

Of course, Micronesians born in the U.S. automatically become U.S. citizens and they cannot be denied benefits. Nor can they be deported.
  • True, I was just wondering why the process for FAS citizen was created brutal and discouraging? what was the concept behind that?( not that I want to become a U.S citizen) but the fact that tey called it a "special relationship" between the two countries/?>
  • If it is any comfort to you, it is equally difficult for a U.S. citizen to become an FSM or an RMI citizen....maybe more so.
  • CITIZENS OF THE FEDERATED STATES OF MICRONESIA (FSM), THE REPUBLIC OF THE MARSHALL ISLANDS (RMI), AND PALAU ARE ELIGIBLE TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES INDEFINITELY
    https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/complete-correct-form-i-9/complete-section-1-employee-information-and-attestation/federated-states-micronesia-republic-marshall-islands-and-palau

Indefinite work authorization
    Under the terms of their respective Compacts of Free Association with the United States, citizens of the FSM, the RMI, and Palau are eligible to work in the United States as nonimmigrants for an unlimited length of time.
    https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/complete-correct-form-i-9/complete-section-1-employee-information-and-attestation/federated-states-micronesia-republic-marshall-islands-and-palau

Citizens of the FSM, the RMI and Palau in Other Immigration Statuses

Most citizens of the FSM, RMI, and Palau who are lawfully present in the U.S. are compact nonimmigrants, but some have lawful permanent resident status or some other status under U.S. immigration law. These individuals should be verified using generally applicable Form I-9 procedures, regardless of their specific nationality.

INDEFINITE!!!! Or UNLIMITED!!!!

• We are protected by the COFA. We don't need green card. Our status is protected by the COFA which gives us full rights as permanent residents without the green card. The COFA is law! Affirmed and reaffirmed by the US Congress.

Don't fall for @FactsMatter lies. Fear mongering is all this white man have.

Thank God above we are more educated and not easily lied and fooled.

This is what leftist democrats hate.

• FM, if that's the case, what was the concept behind that when the compact was negotiated ? what was a none immigrant means to both sides the table and for what purpose this language was initiated?.. this is what trying to understand
  • It's complicated, visafree, but as I understand it, both the COFA nations and the U.S. agreed that it is not a good idea for any FAS citizen coming to the U.S. to AUTOMATICALLY become a U.S. citizen with all the privileges (such as voting, federal student loans, HUD housing), obligations (such as tax liability worldwide), and responsibilities (such as all males must register for the military draft).

Likewise they agreed that it is not a good idea for any U.S. citizen who travels to FSM, ROP, or RMI to AUTOMATICALLY become an FSM, ROP, or RMI citizen.

The right to live, work and study is basically reciprocal, meaning it applies to all the parties in the agreements.

COFA = Compact of FREE Association. That means that either side can terminate it's participation under certain circumstances.

Since citizenship can only be terminated by the citizen, not by the government, FAS citizens residing in the U.S. are still FAS citizens, not U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents (green card holders) UNLESS they explicitly change their immigration status by acquiring a visa to begin the U.S. naturalization process.

The current COFA migration provisions were designed to protect the sovereignity and independence of all parties to the agreements, namely FSM, ROP, RMI, and the U.S. while still providing a visa-free right for citizens of these countries to live, work, and attend school in any of the four countries.
  • Omg, Factmatter, what have you been feeding these poor people in here? Tsk tsk..
  • The facts, Dezi, the facts and the truth. Those are the only food that FM has been providing. The choice of some people to disbelieve the truth and the facts, and instead seek conspiracy theories to support their hatred of "the other," is of course their choice. But choosing to disbelieve the truth, and instead believe the lies of the fascists, alt-right, and white nationalists, is simple self deception.
  • Did i expose you?
  • Not sure what you mean, Dezi. But no, I am not exposed. I still have my pants on.
  • I dunno but is u nd fm same person?
  • so the none immigrant statue dose not give the FAS citizen the equal opportunity to the US Governments assistance programs like the educational aid programs because the none immigrant statue was meant to be a temporary statues to reside in the USA yet it' allow the FAS to reside in the USA for as long as the wish to? sounds like a half cooked piece of treaty to me?. I mean I understand the concept of protecting the sovereignty of the nations but to help the objectives of the COFA education must be at the forefront in order for the FAS to build capacity and the needs for a solid human resources through the FAS..?
  • Now its complicated. I thought we were green card holders. But as it turned out we/micronesians aren't.

FM was certain now she says its complicated. What piece of shit. Got exposed for the race baiting bitch that she is and she edits her comments.

FM don't give facts. Just jokes and lies. Lies mostly. This bitch told us Collison between Trump and Russians were facts.

Turned out to be lies.

Hahaha
  • For the record, as the Admin of this forum knows, Sarem and I are definitely not the same person.

He/she is much smarter than me.

HAHAHAHAHA
  • Of limited cognitive ability and general dubious character
  • The same. White men. Thinking their thoughts are the same thing we Pacific colored folks should be thinking too.

We are not the blacks of America. We learned from their mistakes. You don't fool us.