Is there a coverup hiding suspects in Rachelle Bergeron’s murder on Yap?

Published on October 28, 2019 By JD Rucker

Acting Attorney General of the island state of Yap, Rachelle Bergeron, was murdered earlier this month while jogging with her dog. She was a former New York human rights lawyer before taking on the Attorney General role on Yap, an island of 11,000 people in the Pacific with a big human trafficking problem, according to the NY Post. Arrests have been made and suspects in her murder are in custody, but the names of the suspects are being withheld. Why?

Adding more to the intrigue, a report four days ago on the Pacific Island Times appeared to name the suspects, Francis Chaoy Buchun and his nephew Francis Tamag, but the article was quickly taken down. They are both members of the Airport Rescue-Fire Fighters squad. The specificity of the report and the details of their arrest seem to jibe with the official statement from the government.

The original report from the Pacific Island Times indicated “Buchun had three cases before the AG. He was earlier convicted of arson and put in jail for a month. He was later released to go to Hawaii for Rescue-Fire Fighters recertification.”

Was the article proven to be wrong about the suspects, or did the government ask the publication to take down the report for other reasons? We have reached out to the Yap State Governor’s Office and are awaiting a reply.

Here is a screen capture of the original story on Pacific Island Times, which was provided by an independent source:

It may be something as simple as inaccurate reporting that took down the original article revealing the suspects’ names in Rachelle Bergeron’s murder. Or, the report may have been taken down for political reasons. We will continue to investigate.

https://noqreport.com/2019/10/28/coverup-hiding-suspects-rachelle-bergerons-murder-yap/

Comments

• It is hard for a cover-up when the US FBI is very much involved in the investigations. The officials might have a legitimate reason for not releasing more details at this time. I think the police do this all over the world when the cases are more complicated than they seem.
  • True, this is a special case beeing handled with care...image
  • if there is a cover up. what are they hiding? what is there to hide? people wants to know the truth.
  • According to the former governor of Yap, one of the suspects used to work in Yap’s police force, while the other is current Governor Falan’s nephew.
  • Would the current Governor Falan stick his neck out that far, or is this some kind of insinuation to project blame and discredit the work of house-cleaning. It seems the side which lost the election want the current administration to fail so the their agenda can move forward. This is my take from the posts and comments coming out of Yap.
  • Theories are just theories. but facts are facts.

I am sticking to the facts.

Which facts, if any, do you dispute?

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/American-who-fought-for-human-rights-on-tiny-14777616.php
  • The theory of a cover-up? And to suppose that a familial relationship supports that theory?
  • Who has proposed a "theory of a cover-up?"

Asking a question is not the same as presenting a theory. The noqreport posted above asks a question. A question is not the same as a theory.
  • isn't it creating doubt on the integrity of the investigation and casting suspicion on the governor? An indirect form of posing a theory without seeming to do so.
  • It's asking for more information about the suspects and the conspiracy they have been charged with. That seems reasonable to me, especially considering the outrageous brutality of the crime....a crime committed in a state that supposedly bans firearms.
  • The manner is which the question was posed and veiled suggestion that the governor could be connected to a cover-up point to a different desired effect. You can smell the dead rat a mile away.
  • I prefer to wait until more facts are revealed before blaming dead rats.

Again, how did these guys obtain a shotgun? Firearms are banned in Yap, except for authorized law enforcement officers.
  • If a Glock 9mm could be smuggled into Pohnpei with the help of a Marshallese “official,” and two handguns of unknown make could be smuggled into Kosrae with the help of a “recently re-elected” member of the FSM Congress, how hard could it be?
  • Customs officers and inspectors in the FSM do not yet have the technology and sophisticated training to search for, detect, and identify gun parts. Also, inspection for the most part is lax. There are businesses which import from the Philippines and other Asian countries which may have corrupt officials who can easily accept bribes to overlook things. Additionally, shipping contraband by ship is much easier. They do it often in Guam and other parts of the USA, even with their well-trained law enforcement officers and detection machines and computers.

So, it is quite possible to do it in the FSM and Yap since officials are not on the look-out for them.

But we cannot rule out the possibility that someone whose job is to stop guns from entering Yap knew about the gun and the ammunition and not say anything.

Let us hope the FBI will continue to assist in the case and lend assistance to the Micronesian law enforcement agencies to stop smuggling contraband into and out of the region.
  • She had previously received threats related to her work and she often slept with a machete under her pillow.

Were these threats investigated by the local police? Was anyone ever charged for these threats? Did the police search for weapons?
  • In a small community such as Yap where physical violence against government is very rare and where everybody knows everybody and where law enforcement is still very much in the development stage this can be attributed to a mental lapse or inefficiency, or not taking the reports seriously. I do not know. But to suggest that the lack of further investigation and failure to provide police security may be too far-fetched. I will stick to the facts.
  • So who is recruiting for the meat packing plants in the US? Who is running the juvenile prostitution? Got any scaled drug smuggling going on?
    I would love to look at this gal’s investigation files.
    Two fireman don’t just use a smuggled firearm to kill somebody unless they are covering some serious poop.
    I wish I could say – “Put me in coach; I’m ready to play.”
  • I would think the FBI has already looked at the files and possibly still following up on other angles and connections.
  • The FBI has no legal authority in the FSM, a sovereign nation. Only Yap State and the FSM have jurisdiction and authority in Yap.

The FBI can only do what officials in Yap and the FSM allow them to do.
  • Yap State officials cannot tell the FSM law enforcement officials to help cover up criminal acts and both cannot stop the FBI from exposing any corruption. Yap and FSM are part of the international law enforcement network and human trafficking is not taken lightly in the FSM. When a US citizen is a victim of foul play the USA will not sit and see official cover up wrongdoing.
  • The crime occurred in Yap State, FSM. The investigation is led and controlled by Yap State and the FSM, not the U.S. nor the FBI.

Any future prosecution and trial(s) will properly be conducted in Yap/ FSM courts, not in U.S. courts.

Only God knows the future. None of us know it. So we will all just have to wait and see how this turns out...hopefully with fairness and justice for all.
  • FSM and Yap State government officials know any cover up of the murder of a US citizen will not bode well with the negotiations of the Compact. But you are right. We all have to just wait and trust that justice will prevail.
  • Two people are arrested for the murder. one of them was an ex-cop and the other was just an ass hole who lust for money. They are jailed and waiting for trail. I believe, from the rumors spreading, that they will go to Pohnpei for their trail..