Is Seventh Day Adventism anti-Catholic?

The Seventh-day Adventist church traces its roots to American preacher William Miller (1782–1849), a Baptist who predicted the Second Coming would occur between March 21, 1843, and March 21, 1844. Because he and his followers proclaimed Christ’s imminent advent, they were known as “Adventists.”

When Christ failed to appear, Miller reluctantly endorsed the position of a group of his followers known as the “seventh-month movement,” who claimed Christ would return on October 22, 1844 (in the seventh month of the Jewish calendar).

When this didn’t happen either, Miller forswore predicting the date of the Second Coming, and his followers broke up into a number of competing factions. Miller would have nothing to do with the new theories his followers produced, including ones that attempted to save part of his 1844 doctrine.

Another group of Millerites was influenced by Joseph Bates, who in 1846 and 1849 issued pamphlets insisting that Christians observe the Jewish Sabbath—Saturday—instead of worshipping on Sunday. This helped feed the intense anti-Catholicism of Seventh-day Adventism, since they blamed the Catholic Church for changing the day of worship from Saturday to Sunday.

These two streams of thought—Christ entering the heavenly sanctuary and the need to keep the Jewish Sabbath—were combined by Ellen Gould White, who claimed to have received many visions confirming these doctrines. Together with Edson and Bates, she formed the Seventh-day Adventist denomination, which officially received its name in 1860.

Catholics may suppose that anti-Catholicism is part of Adventism’s radical fringe. Unfortunately, this is untrue. Adventists who are moderate on Catholicism are a minority. Anti-Catholicism characterizes the denomination because it is embraced in White’s “divinely inspired” writings.

White claims that the papacy changed the day of worship from Saturday to Sunday, making this change a mark of its authority. In her view, there will come a time when the United States will establish a “national Sunday law” and compel its citizens to worship on Sunday. It will not compel them to become Catholics, but to join a Protestant state-church that is an “image” of the papacy, and thus, “the image of the beast” (ibid., 382–96).

Seventh-day Adventism cannot change its views on the Catholic Church being the Whore of Babylon without admitting that it was wrong on Sunday worship. It cannot admit that Sunday worship is not the mark of the beast without changing its views on the Jewish Sabbath.

Seventh-day Adventism cannot cease to be anti-Catholic without ceasing to be Seventh-day Adventism.

Comments

• Citation? Or your personal view? Just wondering.
  • Let TiT figure it out. He knows more about SDA anti-Catholicism than I do, as you can see in his posts.

TiT?
  • FactsMatter,

You make me laugh. You know zilch about what you posted here. For a minute I thought you know about religion. You are the type who have a good command of the English language but know very little about the most important thing. You need to humble yourself. That is the only way for You to learn.
  • TiT,

Speaking of humbling yourself, I notice that you denied none of the facts I posted. Zero.

All you do is throw out personal insults. Now that is truly sad, not laughable, especially for a so-called SDA Christian missionary.

Tell the truth and the truth will set you free, my wayward friend.
  • FM, so why are you bringing this very old history to the front today. Is it relevant to today's Micronesia? What is your purpose? It appears that you are trying to sow some seeds of division among Micronesians. Most Micronesian Catholics, SDA, other Protestants, Mormons get along in spite of their religion's past. Today's divisions in the world where Muslims and other groups are using religions as basis for hating others, it seems to me that we need to try to create peaceful co-existence among people based on respect to each others; not to create divisiveness. Just to let you know: my religion is SDA--not a good practicing one, I must admit; but I have relatives in the same household who are Catholics, Mormons and other Protestants. We get along fine. We respect each other's interpretation of their religion. I feel that I can go to a Catholic Church service or any of the Protestant church service--at any time. After all, we all pray to the same God. That's my belief. Past is past. I don't entertain hatred just because of somebody's religion's past. Just my thoughts.
  • marc, have you read the earlier forum thread entitled "Why do Catholics believe that the Pope is the head of the Church, and the successor of St. Peter ?"

That thread was started by A208, not by me.

Did you read this comment by TruthisThat, an American SDA missionary: "The Roman Catholic headed by the Pope is not a Christian religion. It is anti-Christ. It is a cult."

And this by TiT: "The Pope is anti God. He is NOT even a father. Unless he fathered a child in secret and the Catholics are keeping it a secret because it will be so hypocritical to have the head of the faith preach celibacy for its priests while the Pope is known to have fathered a child. But then again, Catholic priests have children with Catholic nuns and the children are killed to keep the secret from the masses. "

Are these vicious, false, bigoted anti-Catholic comments acceptable to you, marc?

Why have you not condemned these hateful comments?

They are NOT acceptable to me and I will expose those who make such comments as the religiously hateful and divisive people they are.

I hope that you will do the same.

I do not 'hate" anyone's church or religious beliefs....UNLESS they hide behind their beliefs to attack other churches and believers. And that is exactly what the American SDA missionary calling himself "TruthisThat" is doing, as he has done for many years, including on this forum.

Again, is that acceptable to you, marc?

• FactsMatter.

Study to prove yourself worthy.
  • Good advice, TiT. Study the history of religions and study the 2,000 year-old history of Christianity so that you know what you are ranting about.

Free yourself from the SDA bias (jealousy?) toward the Roman Catholic Church.

The truth will set you free.
  • Pity is more like it. The institution led by Satan. Arrogant leaders being led by Satan to work darkness so it's faithful will fall into the bottomless pit.

Does not want to study Scriptures. Putting traditions of men above God's word.

• TiT,

Yes, SDA puts the recently invented 'traditions' of certain American men - and women- above the 2,000 year sacred history of Christianity.

Shallow and shameful.
  • History of what? Of the Catholic leaders abuse of children? History of the Catholic leaders misleading the masses by their anti-Virus teachings?

Why even Pope Francis is making history by sounding like a gay activists.

Do not make me laugh.
  • Speaking of laughing, we all notice that you do not (cannot?) defend your own church membership and beliefs.

Why is that? You really need to read and understand MT 7: 2-5

"For with the same judgment you pronounce, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but fail to notice the beam in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ while there is still a beam in your own eye?"

And Luke 6:41-2 "Why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but fail to notice the beam in your own eye? How can you say, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' while you yourself fail to see the beam in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the beam out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

And Romans 2:1
    "You therefore have no excuse, you who pass judgment on another. For on whatever grounds you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things."

Real Christians are not arrogant hypocrites.
  • You non-Micronesians should stop polluting Micsem with your propaganda. Instead, you and your colleagues should instead focus on handing out more of Joseph Smith's novels throughout Micronesia.

We're already wise to your deception. Your disguises no longer work.
  • I pity you FaxtsMatter. Groping in the dark hoping to find something to give you a sense of relevance. But you will remain in darkness unless and until you begin to study Scriptures and ask the Holy Spirit to enlighten you.
  • Enlightenment is through the Self. The Self must be willing and where "There's a Will...There is always - a way.
  • The Roman Catholic institution is anti-Christ. So I guess you can say, FactsMatter, that the SDA Church is anti-Catholic. They cannot agree because they do not serve the same God. God guides the Christians while Satan leads the Catholic hierarchy.
  • You seem to be an expert on all matters anti-Christ, TiT.

It's no surprise to me that you continue to do his dirty work of spreading division among Christians.

Shame on you for vilifying other churches. You are an disgrace to the genuine Christians who choose to worship as Seventh Day Adventists.

Take your anti-Catholic hatred elsewhere. It doesn't belong in Micronesia.
  • The mormon church can compete against the other churches on "newness" and "freshness" like fresh crispy lettuce.

The missionary hiring practice though is discriminatory as we see mostly 90% whites and 10% brownies. And on Gender Equality, again, we don't see anything to indicate that the mormon church is sensitive to the issues affecting the women of the Pacific. This is clearly evident in its missionary placement and hiring practice.

We don't see any female mormon missionaries in Chuuk.

• Exposing lies and cults is not anti-Christ. Teaching lies and sexual abuse of children and placing man in then place of God is, FactsMatter.
  • coconuts,

Safety for the females. Too much violence by Chuukese make people want to take precautions.
  • Yes, teaching lies is anti-Christ.

Like when the founders of your church wrongly predicted, and lied to people, about knowing the exact day the world would end?

Now that is an example of "placing man in then place of God," my confused SDA friend.

Read Matthew 25:13 - "Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour."

Only God knows.

• FactMatter,

Go back and study some more. Your name does not describe well what you present. You do not have what you think are facts. not defending SDAs, but Millerites are different group. SDA Church came long after. It was Miller who made the prediction. Some remnant followers of Miller went back to the Scriptures to study because they believe the date to be correct. Mi!ler was correct in his calculations, but was mistaken about the event. Way, way past this the Sabbath was discovered by this group then the church was established. Study history too, in addition to Scriptures to get to the truth.

Your hatreds misplaced. You should hate th lies of the Roman Catholic hierarchy and the violence of the Jesuits.
  • You seem to know a lot about Seventh Day Adventism for someone who is ashamed to admit he is a Seventh Day Adventist missionary. lol
  • I study Scriptures and I study religion. I found the Roman Catholic System is referred to in Revelation as Babylon.

You really should study Scriptures yourself, you know.
  • Despite your condescenting presumption, I have studied history, religion and scripture my entire life and not once have I come across the words "Roman Catholic System " in any book of the Bible, including Revelation.

In what translation of the Bible did you find those words? Which chapter and verse?

Don't look too hard. They are only in your imagination, not in the Bible.

If you truly knew ancient history, you would know that Babylon was a kingdom in Mesopotamia (modern day Iraq) long before the birth of Christ. The kingdom was conquered by the Persians in 539 BC.

If you knew scripture, you would know that "Babylon" in the Book of Revelation is a symbol of the pagan Roman Empire.

Go back to school, my friend.
  • Ahh, you study but you miss. You miss because do study with a closed mind. And so you are not led by the Holy Spirit to reveal truth and to you.I

Babylon and Egypt in the Bible represent the enemy of God's people. Study Scriptures some more and you will not miss the connect between the Roman Papacy and Babylon.

Revelation 18:4 is very revealing.

• And perhaps you purposely missed that part of history where Papal Rome took Pagan Rome's power.

Very convenient FactsMatter.