A Beneficiary Of The U.S.-Iran Crisis Could Well Be Russia

Senior Russian officials have publicly condemned the U.S. killing of Iran’s most powerful military commander, joining foreign leaders in warning that it will lead to an escalation of tensions in the already unstable Middle East region.

However, the Kremlin may be able to capitalize on the controversial attack against its ally Tehran if it drives a deeper wedge in Washington’s strategic relationship with European allies, analysts said.

An escalation could also present Russian President Vladimir Putin with a golden opportunity to demonstrate global leadership by working toward a resolution, they said.

“Putin would love to seize the role of a mediator to reduce tension but also to strengthen his image in the West,” said Jonathan Katz, a senior fellow at The German Marshall Fund in Washington.

General Qasem Soleimani, the powerful head of Iran's elite Quds Force in the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps, was killed in a U.S. air strike in neighboring Iraq on January 3 days after pro-Iranian militants attacked the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said later that the assassination sought to preempt an undisclosed “threat” to American lives.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said the U.S. attack “flagrantly violates” international principles. The Russian Defense Ministry called it a “shortsighted” step that will lead to more regional turmoil.

U.S. allies in Europe -- who were not informed of the attack beforehand -- also expressed concern about Washington’s deadly strike in a region that accounts for a significant portion of the world’s daily oil production.

German Foreign Minister Heiko Mass said that although Iran carried out a series of “dangerous provocations,” the U.S. response “has not made it easier to reduce tensions.”

U.K. shadow Foreign Secretary Emily Thornberry from the opposition Labour Party slammed U.S. President Donald Trump’s Iran policy as well as his clandestine operation against Soleimani.

“For two years, I’ve warned about Trump’s reckless lurch towards war with Iran. Last night’s attack takes us even closer to the brink,” she said.

Trump angered European leaders when he withdrew the United States in 2018 from an international agreement signed by his predecessor Barack Obama that put limits on Iran’s nuclear activities in exchange for sanctions relief.

https://www.rferl.org/a/analysis-a-beneficiary-of-the-u-s--iran-crisis-could-well-be-russia/30360014.html

Comments

• fake NEWS alert
  • Just like Trump, any facts you don't like you try to dismiss as "fake."

Trump invented fake news and you fell for it. lol
  • Israel is the main beneficiary but will also eventually suffer some consequences

Russia & China will also benefit if US would be dragged into another long, endless war for many years to come
    costing US another trillion dollars of taxpayers money & American lives

A huge mistake, miscalculation by the US will lead to the removal or expulsion of American troops in Iraq, & perhaps Turkey & Qatar next.
  • The "huge mistake" you describe was actually a campaign promise by Trump to bring our troops home.
  • No, that is the "Hypocrisy" on Trump's part.....

campaigned to bring troops back home & now starting another war & sending more troops overseas.....
  • Trump knows his base better than you. Trust me. His base does not want any American blood spilled like in Benghazi.
  • edited January 7
    Americans were killed in benghazi under obamas watch. 30 hours to respond to the attack on us embassy in benghazi. Trump took 2 hours send 100 marines and 3,000 us troops to defend US embassy. See the difference? A true leader Trump vs a spineless leader Obama.

When America is lead by a strong leader no one mess with uncle sam.
  • Putin is celebrating while US is on full alert. True story
  • Hey z, you said the Fascist-in-Chief “does not want any American blood spilled.” What do you think he plans to do about the US soldier and two US contractors who were killed in Kenya by Al Shabaab? Right after Soleimani was assassinated, wasn’t it? What do you think he will do, assassinate the leader of Al Shabaab?
  • First of all if Trump was a Fascist, he would use the military industrial media complex to silence all leftist narratives, like previous presidents have in previous wars. But you may be right that he may have more terrorists killed. I'm sure he wouldn't be giving terrorists unmarked bills because that would only empower and incentivize more killing of American citizens.
  • edited January 7
    Is good to see Democrats defending Iran which is ruled by a dictator and defending Iran which says it will wipe out the Jews from the face of the earth..

Defending Islamic dictatorship and defending the same country and regime that want to kill every jew in the world.

This is what blind hate of Trump do to Democrats.

Look @SaremChuuk, who claim to be for democracy and who said she is a Jew. Look at her crying for Iran and defending a country that want to kill her people and exterminate jews. Defending Islamic terrorism and defending Iran in its mission to kill every jew on EARTH.

• you got it all wrong Reaper, gain twisting the fact or just being misinform and to make up your own version of this. democrats are defending their constitution and Trump along with the republicans are destroying it. True story
  • " democrats are defending their constitution" he says. Then why do Democrats want to abolish the electoral college, the 2nd amendment and 1st amendment of the constitution and kill American babies? Why do they not follow the constitution in transmitting the articles of impeachment to the senate for the constitutional trial? You watch too many homos on their spoils system fake news networks.
  • Why do Trumpists want to put innocent children in cages, start a war with Iran without the approval of congress, cooperate with Russia to interfere in American elections, praise the hate speech of white supremacists, ignore global warming by leaving the Paris climate change treaty, and violate the constitution by letting Trump and his family use the White House to make more money for themselves?
  • The children in cages picture was from the Obama's Administration.It has been totally debunked.

Why do Democrats want to legalize killing of American babies and mourn an Iranian killer of Americans?
  • Wrong again. https://www.thenation.com/article/immigration-kids-trump-flores-concentration-camps/

As for "Democrats want to legalize killing of American babies," I don't want that so I must not be a Democrat, according to your overly-simplistic worldview.

Does that make me a Republican? LOL
  • Here is something i found out easily thanks to Siri.

Poltifact: Former Vice President Joe Biden, Says the Obama administration "didn't lock people up in cages."
    — Joe Biden on Thursday, September 12th, 2019 in a Democratic debate
    https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2019/sep/13/joe-biden/fact-checking-biden-use-cages-during-obama-adminis/

Poltifact Fact check Result: The Statement made by Joe Biden is False! The Obama Administration started putting kids in cages back in 2014!
    https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2019/sep/13/joe-biden/fact-checking-biden-use-cages-during-obama-adminis/

• edited January 7
    Virginas Democrat Governor advocate and i believe tried to sign a law that would make it legal for doctors to kill babies even after they are born.

Ralph Northam should be remembered for advocating the slaughtering of deformed babies

Ralph Northam should be remembered for advocating the slaughtering of deformed babies
    SCOTT JENNINGS | OPINION CONTRIBUTOR | 5:51 pm EST February 5, 2019

Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam insists he was not either of the men in an offensive photo of one person in blackface and another wearing a KKK hood that showed up in his 1984 yearbook.
    USA TODAY
    Except for the quiet sobbing of a grieving mother, silence filled a dark hospital room in the middle of the night. Holding her daughter, whose spirit had slipped quietly into heaven before her body emerged into this world, the mother wept until her tear ducts ran dry.

There is no more desperate feeling than that of a parent holding a dead child. You would do anything. You would pay anything.

But at that moment there is nothing to do but pray. And cry.

Those memories flooded back to me last week as I watched Democrats in Virginia calmly describe their ghoulish plans to murder babies as they were being delivered, and after. Democratic State Delegate Kathy Tran testified in favor of her legislation allowing abortions up to the moment of birth:

"I mean, through the third trimester," Tran said. "The third trimester goes up to 40 weeks."

"OK, but to the end of the third trimester?" Republican Majority Leader Todd Gilbert asked her.

"Yup, I don't think we have a limit in the bill," Tran replied.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/02/05/ralph-northam-advocating-abortion-infanticide-worse-than-blackface-column/2776498002/

• Here we go again with the debunked Russia and Trump narrative. That's been debunked by your own impeachment articles. Not one mention the mueller report. Lol

Obama stated a war in syria without approval of Congress....lets not be hypocrites.