Facebook, Twitter block Trump post that falsely claims coronavirus is less deadly than flu

Facebook removed a post by President Donald Trump that claimed the flu is more deadly than the coronavirus.

Twitter hid the same message that was posted to Trump’s Twitter account behind a label and prevented users from sharing it.


Facebook and Twitter on Tuesday took action against a post by President Donald Trump that falsely claimed the seasonal flu is more deadly than the coronavirus.

Facebook removed the post, and Twitter added a label warning of misinformation about the coronavirus before a user could click to view it. Twitter also prevented the tweet from being shared.

“As is standard with this public interest notice, engagements with the Tweet will be significantly limited,” a Twitter spokesperson told CNBC.

In the post, which was shared on both Facebook and Twitter, Trump said: “Flu season is coming up! Many people every year, sometimes over 100,000, and despite the Vaccine, die from the Flu. Are we going to close down our Country? No, we have learned to live with it, just like we are learning to live with Covid, in most populations far less lethal!!!”

As of Tuesday morning, the Covid-19 pandemic has so far sickened more than 7.45 million in the United States, and at least 210,195 have died, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, an estimated 22,000 people died from the 2019-2020 seasonal flu. The deadliest flu season since 2010 was in 2017-2018, with an estimated 61,000 deaths, according to the CDC.

“We remove incorrect information about the severity of Covid-19, and have now removed this post,” a Facebook spokesperson said in a statement to CNBC.



https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/06/facebook-removes-trump-post-falsely-comparing-coronavirus-and-the-flu.html

Comments

Sign In or Register to comment.