Maisu will be a "GIFT" to Micronesian navigator Mau Piailug

edited January 2007 in General
Today 1-12-07 Maisu arrive the Big island to drop off its inter island crew and take on its 11-member long voyaging crew. They are schedualed to sail befor noon,heading northwest to pass by Kaho'olawe,whose western tip was an important tratitional site for voyaging. Then the canoe will take a southwesterly route to Majuro in the marshall islands ,from which they will hop from island to island to reach Satawal to present the canoe to Piailug.

Piailug is ill with diabetes and is not expected to sail on the voyage. How ever,his son,along with several other micronesian silors,will be aboard Maisu to learn to sail the vessel.

Cheers!!!

Comments

• REETAL,

This sort of things get under my skin. I can only recall the good ole names of Tiliong, Limiroch, Waan, Chuung, Simen, and the likes.... They were also great sailors who never made the headlines, but deserving nonetheless of our tribute..... Hope you agree,...

Joker
  • Joker,

Why feel nostalgic and euphoric about the good ole navigators when we do have the new bloods of navigators like Persy, Mongkey, Karatus and Ata.
  • I had the rarest moment of meeting Piailug on Pohnpei in the 80s during one of his trip with a stopover on Pohnpei. I felt so privileged in his presence... that some years later when he was in Washington DC to accept his special recognition and awards from Smithsonian Institute, a tribute was written in his honor on the back of the program through the courtesy of the Close-Up Program in DC which coordinated the submission of the tribute from a half-caste biin Florida.

I applauded the success of his son...and all the unspoken navigators in FSM. Time is changing, and we should be proud of our navigators who are surfacing.
  • An applaude is in order for Piailug's son to pass on his father's legacy.Piailug 's knowledge and skills has gotten micronesia recognized in a good and prosperous way.There is no doupt that Tiliong,Limiroch Waan,Simen,Karatus,Mongkey,and Ata are top notch,but Piailug was willing to share with others like the US.
    Any ways, the crew of Alingano Maisu ,commonly known simply as Maisu,joint volunteers in making final preparations for its departure at Kawaihae Harbor before it takes its long journey to its new home.

Cheers!!
  • Reetal,

Is Alingano Maisu the same as Alinga Maisuk as the Mortlockese would say? Just wonder...
  • Onofek:

I will make a research on The Big Island voyaging society, Na Kalai Wa'a Moku o Hawaii. They build the canoe with the help of canoe supporters from throughout Hawaii' as well as New Zealand...Then I'll comments..
  • Reetal,

Out of curiosity, who will be the Chief Navigator on this expedition?

marz
  • The most obvious thing I fear about teaching our fellow neighbors like Hawaii and the Mainland lads the secrets to Micronesian traditional sailing is that one day generations later, such skills may be construed as Hawaiian or New Zealanders, neglecting where that skill came from in the first place. Such a skill, if possible should be patented by Pilug or for that matter, the Micronesian legendary sailors.

I think if we had established such a navigational school here in Micronesia instead of the outright presentation abroad could saveguard that Micronesian skill here and forever. Many Micronesian islands, eg. Guam and Saipan have lost many of its once cherished traditional skills in various other trades because of its rapid exposures to the West and alike. Regardless, of the arguments, I think one day that ability to set sail the open sea with guidance from just the sea and sky will eventually become an international skill with many other countries claiming such to be their very own. I think Pilug and the many others should go down in the World Guiness Book of Records just for the preservation of the origins of such navigational skills.
  • The skill has already been looked at as Hawaiian or Tahitian. In fact, the voyage Mau has been undertaking is made under the name of Polynesian Voyaging Society. We somehow indirectly get noticed by Reagan's Theory of Economic: The Trickle Down Theory.
  • Hello,

I think that this trip is exciting. Though as people already know it was Micronesian's, specificaly Mau, who helped the Hawaiians get back their navigation. From my understanding, and I might be wrong, Hawaiians had stopped the grand epic oceanic journies even before the Europeans came to Hawaii. Now with Micronesian Help they have their navigation skills back. Though I always have few questions. Would a Hawaiian Navigator 1000 plus years ago when there were trips from Tahiti to Hawaii be able to reconize the navigation methods that now are used by the PVS? Given that much was lost, and only fragments remained, how much is it Micronesian, how much is it Hawaiian. The other question is are the Navigation Systems of two areas more or less simular, mostly differing with localized geographical knowledge and few other tricks? I suspect the latter, though even if two systems are very simular and thus somewhat compatible, Micronesia still needs to be reconized. I think that because this journey is going through Micronesia, it is being Highlighted. Though when highlighted it should be noted the Micronesian Connection. This journey should also encourage more Micronesians to learn Navigation. It would be truely sad if in the future it takes Hawaiians to teach Micronesians Navigation because Navigation is lost here in Micronesia.

With all that going on. I like to say I been lucky with my experiences here in Chuuk. Back in June, I was able to spend time with master navigator Rapwie on Poluwat. I enjoyed going over to his house in the mornings and evenings and just listening to him. I would sometimes walk around with him and he break out into these ancient navigation chants. I also liked how he cared for his grandkids and his fun spirited additude. I have heard many stories about him from different people, though in person he amazing.
  • To whom he/she wanted to know the terms Aeninganoa and Maeisiu mean. Well, the term Aeninganoa is of course mean the same thing in Chuukese and the Western Islands like that of Satawal. To publicly announce or show it in public. Maeisiu is a term used when the breadfruits are riped and started falling. Fallen breadfruits.

Thank you Mocholokese.
  • piungiulapalap:

Thank you much for the break down. MJ: you have to be aware of those kind people,because there is no way he will tell you every thing about navigation.He have to give you lacal medicine in order to remeber every single words he said.
  • MJ,

The Hawaiians might have navigated their Polynesian islands many years ago but with different skills of their own so as the Micronesian navigators. The navigational skills adopted by the Hawaiian navigators through the courtesy of Micronesian own Pialug is simply representing that of 100% Micronesian-not even a sprinkle of Hawaiian as they would sometime claim in the future.

To be honest with you, those Hawaiian navigators-Pialug's students-only learn the good part of the navigation process or good navigation. However, they might not have learned the bad side of it-as I am certain Chief Navigator Pialug would never venture into that as forbids by traditional custom of Micronesian navigation. Even if those Hawaiian student navigators who would claim to know the best, they could be in deep sh*t if they happen to sail with some traditional Micronesian navigators with the same caliber as Pialug if these traditional navigators want to apply the "bad" side of their navigational knowledges and skills. And every Micronesian family of navigators has proved this to be truly working no matter what.

So those you have learned the Micronesian navigation must respect the Micronesian navigation tradition without making false claim to it as their own because the ramifications are devastatingly enormous and risky when respect is not duly accorded and observed to the right holder of the piece. Otherwise, they will never reach their destinations or sail into a scary triangle that would swallow them up without any grain of discovery. This is the bad side of it!
  • MJ:

I don't know what exactly you meant by "how much is it Micronesian, how much is it Hawaiian"? Since when have you learnt that Mau was using hawaiian skill of navigating instead of his own? Don't insult me MJ
  • I too find the comments from our friend MJ very interesting. Foreigners are so uptight with issues of property rights, copyrights, and so forth; yet what is due to the Micronesian, and I mean every bit of it re this subject, is not given.

This process reminds me of the Chuukese coconut-syrup candy named 'Okasi Taka'. Its coated with Western made syrup, and its named Okasi Taka, a Japanese wording in origins, but deep inside in the middle of the sweet thingy is the good old island coconut... Nothing beats the inner side of it, whether its coated with western syrup or called a foreign name. The inside is where you see the essence of it. Call it Polynesian Voyage, or coat it with Hawaiian chants, it matters less because the inside is still Micronesian... no doubts on how much of each is which....

On my part, while we discuss the sailing of this canoe thru our waters, I will use this occasion to pay tribute to those great navigators I know who are just as deserving.
  • It is those kind of attitudes that put us where we are at the moment, especially in Guam, Hawaii, and even the mainland USA. You have to pick a choice and be true to it. You cannot claim to preserve your traditional navigating skills as micronesian when you actually care less to claim it as a micronesian skill. If the "Okasi Taka" is indeed good, let us please thank the Japanese.