Pohnpeians,Kosraeans and Marshallese all migrated from Chuuk or vice-versa.

I always feel that Pohnpeians, Kosraeans and Marshallese all migrated from Chuuk probably Three Centuries Ago. I conclude my theory base on the similarities we shared, especially language and body features. Please, share what you know on this thread and help us understand our history and how we came about as a group of people living in this region for so many,many years. I might be wrong,but history will only prove otherwise.

Comments

• Maybe not all clans - I understand the ladies of the clan of Dipwen Pahn Mei - the highest in Madolenihmw - went to Chuuk from Pohnpei. Some of the forum members from Pohnpei are great in this type of history.....I have read some of their postings......think they will join soon and elaborate more.
  • edited May 2008
    See you local library all the information is there. or to the research your self.
  • Well let's not dig too deep ok? One of the previous threads already identified me as a close relative to a girl I've been taking out for the past couple of years. YUUUUUCK! Well...not sexactly.
  • Well scientifically, Pohnpeians, Chuukese, Kosreans, and the Marshalles were believed to have migrated from south Asia. Our language is commonly known by scientists as the "Austronesian Language". The most common word we share is "Mana"-which means power!.In Pohnpei we say "Manaman". There are also many similarities in our cultural customs and beliefs. I think that a few centuries ago we migrated from india because of some conflicts and then we migrated to the islands in Micronesia, but who comes first is quite difficult to say...speaking of India, did u guys know that the ancient people of Thailand also chews betel nut..it is part of their culture!..yeah just like Yapese and Palauans..well these are just some highlight on the subject!!
  • This is a great topic:

Yes, it is great that you can easily identified with the similarities found among Marshallese, Kosraens, Pohnpeians and Chuukese. That is true. We all came from the same roots which is South Asia. As our ancestors traveled to each of our islands: beginning from Marshalls, as the population settled, others continued on their sailing. On to Kosrae, they followed the same pattern, on to Pohnpei and on to Chuuk.

You can validate this theory just by learning many of our language similarities as pointed out in earlier postings. Take some of our daily living words: ground oven, coconuts, etc.

You will be surprised to find these similarities all the way to the Carolinians in Saipan, outer islands in Yap, and outer islands in Palau. We are all the same. Only Palauans and Yapese are different from these Chuukic people.
  • Umw - Micronesian

Umu - Polynesian

Omu - Chuukese

similar words across vast ocean span...interesting topic.
  • Yea,

Maspihpi
    Kurukur
    Pwesepwes

these are Pohnpeian and chuukese words...
  • lol lol very funny guys
  • edited May 2008
    Permit me pls to throw in the pile my itzy, bitzy theory on the Builders of Nanmadol. It is widely known that the two brothers traveled from distant " katau Peidak " to Kosrae and then down-ward to Pohnpei: 1st site was in Awak, Uh, 2nd - Temwen, Madolenihmw. The two builders were Olisipa, Olosohpa.

The names of the supposedly two brothers, may have been mistaken for their commonalities, their physical characteristics. Who is to say that they were actually brothers when communication was the bearrier, instead, based on the similarities of their characteristics that they were belived to be brothers.

Folks, from the nearby katau paidaks, which nations are known for their special skills in building pricks and stones? Bear with my as my theory may be blunt but I believe that the name Olosohpa was derived from Ohlen Sapahn ( Japanese man ) and Olosihpa derived from Ohlen Saina. These two brothers came from two nations whom were, have had special trades in building structures with stones and bricks. Chinese and Japanese are mystiques and are known to have special powers. They could fly and who is to say that they could not even make objects fly.

As you can see, the works of the Great Walls of China, and many sites in the nations of Japan, you can be amazed on how blocks and pricks are laid. However tedious and meticulous the designs were being made, you can see perfectionists at its best.

Just my take.
  • Pingelapese n Kosraeans have some words in common esp. the word ...ahto!
  • Hi All..!
    Have you watch micsem video on The History of Micronesia? Part 1 should answer your some of your questions. I you can't donate micsem $10 for a copy of DVD, you can dowload it from this website, under Video page.
  • Corrections!!!
    Hi All..!
    Have you watch micsem video on The History of Micronesia? Part 1 should answer some of your questions. If you can't donate micsem $10 for a copy of DVD, you can dowload it from this website for free, under Video page.
  • Right guys,
    Marshallese, Kosraens, Pohnpeians, Chuukese, Carolinians, Outer-Yapese, Outer-Palauans all came from South Asia, en route Polynesia. Palau and Yap proper probably came from Africa (oh no, that's all of us) Aboriginal-Australians perhaps?

Ngersang,
    Mashpipi? I'm Chuukese, but I have no idea what that means. Could it be Mochulokese maybe?
  • Rata2wee:

You probably right on that Aboriginal Australians, but don't forget near by New-Guniea...i have a strong feeling that our brothers from Palau and Yap migrated from New-Guniea, but the MotherLand will be Africa, atleast they know where they originated from. But as for us Marshallese,Kosraeans,Pohnpeians and Chuukese...probably we migrated from Indonesia, we look more like them in all aspects.
  • Why not Indonesians migrated from either Chuuk, Pohnapei, Marshall or Kosrae or Outer Islands Yap?
  • I think the most common word is: MONGO.
  • The other common words are
    limou, lima, etc. (5)
    aal, ala, (road)
    maas, mata, mat (eyes)
  • Kupwari, the word...
    Umw is Pohnpeian. Not Micronesian.
  • According to ¨scholars¨ in the western world, micronesians migrated from the asian mainland, southern china, spreading to southeast asia, the phillipines, into the pacific ocean. There are many similarities in culture, and language with various tribes/peoples in southeast asia. The austronesian language of which micronesian languages are a part of stretches from Madagscar in the Indian ocean to Easter Island. Similarities can be found everywhere. The chewing of betel nut is also found in the phillipines, thailand, cambodia and Vietnam to name a few.
  • We are all called Micronesians,but certainly we are dealing with two different races here,Palauans and Yapese is one race. Marshallese,Kosraeans,Pohnpeians and Chuukese is another,don't just bundle us up in one plate bcuz we are totally different. Betelnut for that matter, is not Marshallese,Kosraeans,Pohnpeians and Chuukese,they just started chewing in recent years,I just want to clarify this one for the record.
  • Island_kine....Yes, Palauans and Yapese are Malenesians. The likes of those PNG and the Solomons. The dark skinned cousins from the South. And Pohnpeians are very aware of th betlenut chewing that it is still a foreign thing to us. We never claim betlenut chewing as a part of our culture or traditions. We the Pohnpeians have Kava, which is commonly use in the Polynesian Islands. Now, because of our close friendship in the region, you introduced that chewing of the nut to us not even long ago. I can still remember when we the Pohnpeians didn't chew the betlenut. This is something of recent times. You the Palauans are the same people as the Papuas and the Solomons. Let's not go further into Aisa, even though I agree with your theory, that is of ancient times. So let's just focus on what we are today. I think we can relate and understand a lot better. When we start talking abou our similarities to Asians, we feel the big difference and wonder why would someobdy compare us to them. So let's just stick around amongst the atols and islands out there in the vast pacific.
  • Micronesians are asians who live on islands....either way you put it....If you robbed a bank, they´d probably describe you as asian not micronesian. What we are today, is undisputedly from where we came from. Micronesians didn´t just happen onto these islands...they came from some land mass....ASIA...so my asian island brothers...embrace your heritage. You´re more asian than you want to admit....
  • Fuck that shit Richard. You can be Asians, not us. That's like saying that we're all Africans just because the oldest human remains was found in Africa. We all know that theory, but now we are identified uniquely as Microneisans. Not Asians. So you can stick with your slanded friends. Only in this forum because I'm sure to tell you that you can't see islanders in their villages or neighbohoods claiming to be Asians. We dispite that remark and resent the idea that we're Asians. You're talking about thousands and thousands of years ago. But this is today and no islander would want to be categorized as an Asian. So you're Asian theory can go to our mangroves and washes away when the high tide rolls in.
  • The asian culture is more like the pacific cultures than any other. Believe it or not...we are closer to asia than any other continent save Australia. Simple fact is we are of asian heritage, this can never be disputed, culturally, genetically, and linguistically....accept and move on...you will live longer...
  • In the 60s up to about the early 90s, the strong belief then was that we came from some Indian tribes in South America, but as recent as the latter part of 90s with the aid of DNA testing, it is said that we came from the Southeastern Asia, even including the New Guinean regions. But to try to figure out our history that spans over thousands of years is mind-boggling especially with the thousands of evidences that existed today from biological features to languages, traditional cultures, artifacts, tools, weapons, transportation, etc.. etc. (Please refer to the many postings by Prince in here and others.)

There is but one shred of historical fact that is largely ignored, but may very well hold the secrets of the composition of Micronesia today and that is the legend of Isokelekel. Legend has it that to conquer the reigning Dynasty of Saudeleur, he traveled long distances from Kosraean region (and I said region because some of Kiribati's islands were once under the reigning Lords in Kosrae), recruiting braves from the Polynesian and Melanesian regions in the South. Now .. some theories placed Isokelekel's era in the 1500s period while others claimed in the 1400s, at which time Europeans already frequented the Pacific regions. Was there a fleet of warrior canoes that carried the 333 braves in Isokelekel's warpath, or did they hitched a long haul aboard one such European vessel remain to be debated. But nonetheless, after Saudeleur was overtaken by Isokelekel, legend has it that he rewarded his braves by assigning them areas to control and took the remnants of Saudeleur's warriors and confined them within Chuuk lagoon. He left his younger brother Rauul to rule the new dynasty which expanded from the Marshall regions to Palau, and continued his journey northeast which would have placed him in the Hawaiian region. Isokelekel's braves from the Melanesian were placed in Palau; from the Malaysian were placed in Yap; and from Kiribati were placed in the Marshalls. Those from Polynesian were placed in the Northwest and the Mortlocks regions.

The legend of wahrasapw (flying canoes a.k.a. glyder) existed in Guam's, Yap's and Palau's legends, as well as in the Marshall's folklores, but it originated in Nomeneias, sacred isle, aka Pohnpei Sarawi. Pohnpei legend foretold of such flying canoes which were errand-boys or spys used by Isokelekel to send messages at greater distances. If you laugh at this, Nanmadol ruins will silence you, meaning that the intelligence existed back then and such intelligence may have come from the South American regions. Mankind believed to have evolved from the African regions, then migrated through Europe up to the Aleutian Group, through Alaska, down the North, then Central American regions and further south. Over the centuries of constant migration, intelligence evolved or expanded, hence the invention of canoes, dug-out, outriggers and sails... all started in South America... hence transported the intelligence back to the Asian shores. Saudeleur was an epic created with South American designs, intelligence and beliefs that worship the Sun. Nan Madol was believed to be the center of the earth, and it was built by the Losapwese people.

This is only a figment of our historical past. Ask Reject for the rest of this origin!
  • A very entertaining legend. However not historical fact. These are the kinds of legends and stories that put little children to bed at night, and keep the adults up at night wondering and wasting much time sipping on coffee. Because there is no written historical data a.k.a fact, we can only rely on hard data provided by the remains of our culture, language, and DNA. To go any further with such legends is simply a waste of time, but very very entertaining. Thank you Worok, I'll tell this to my little ones tonight.
  • Richard Head.. my man. Nan Madol and canoes still exist today and we could draw some conclusions on those since their origins and designs are faily similar to those to our East. LOL.. btw.. I like your new nick in here. LMAO!!!!
  • Thanks Worok!! I'm glad you GET my name...LOL. Speaking of flying canoes and Nan Madol, have you ever heard of the Coral Castle in Florida? That may offer some clues as to how Nan Madol was built...I wish we did have more legends like the one you wrote about, very interesting, and entertaining...Head Out...LOL.
  • Richard, we do have a lot more legends. But you're mind is too deep up in youknowhere. We're way far from Asians today. You're talking about some theory that took place during the icage or something. Nowadays, we're no longer Asians. Is that so hard for your skull to absorb.