WHICH NEXT FSM PRESIDENT IS GOOD FOR THE FSM?

This is in response to the following question by poster ARCVIEW.

"...As FSM citizens, I think we should be asking ourselves this question first… “Which next FSM President is good for the FSM..??"

Of all the people eligible to be candidates for the FSM Presidency, (Urusemal, Killion, Christian, Mori, Alik, Moses, Esiel, Sellet), on a scale of 1 to 10, my answer will be like this: (Other posters may post and share their own answers and explanations).

I. QUALIFICATION:
A. Education? (A Doctorate Degree=10; Master's Degree=8; Four Year Degree=6; Less than a Four Year Degree=4):
(1). Alik----------------6
(2). Christian..........4
(3). Esiel...............4
(4). Killion..............8
(5). Mori................6
(6). Moses..............6
(7). Sellet...............6
(8). Urusemal...........6

B. Experience: (length of time and level and relevancy of prior government and private sector responsibility to Presidency):

(1) Alik.............6;
(2) Christian.......8;
(3) Esiel............6;
(4) Killion..........8;
(5) Mori............8;
(6) Moses..........8;
(7) Sellet...........6;
(8) Urusemal.......8:

(* A 10 would have meant perfect performance in office. I think none of the gentlemen achieved a 10 in their past or present offices.)

II LEADERSHIP:

A. Integrity in public office (should be meausred by the amount of public trust or confidence in each official, based on absence or existence of public oppositions or suspicion against each official, BUT NOT necessarily if such oppositions or suspicions are true or proven. Public trust include both between colleaques and with constituents):

1). Alik................7;
2). Christian..........5;
3). Esiel...............6;
4). Killion..............6;
5). Mori................8;
6). Moses..............8;
7). Sellet...............6;
8). Urusemal...........6;

2. Governance (recognize the issues, make decisions based on only on the merits, perform the job soley for the public good, and not on consideration of other personal or political favors or considerations):

1). Alik...........6;
2). Christian.....5;
3). Esiel..........6;
4). Killion.........6;
5). Mori...........8;
6). Moses.........8;
7). Sellet..........6;
8). Urusemal......6;

3. Democratic Decision-Making (ability to accommodate different viewpoints in decisionmaking, not just pushing to one's own views or interest prevail):

1). Alik.............8;
2). Christian.......6;
3). Esiel............8;
4). Killion...........6;
5). Mori.............8;
6). Moses...........8;
7). Sellet............8;

III ELECTABILITY:

A. Electability to Congress by own constituents:
1). Alik............10;
2). Christian......5;
3). Esiel...........4;
4). Killion..........5;
5). Mori............5;
6). Moses..........5;
7). Sellet...........3;
8). Urusemal......10;

2. Electability by Colleagues in Congress to Presidency/V-Presidency:
1). Alik..............5;
2). Christian........6;
3). Esiel.............4;
4). Killion............5;
5). Mori..............6;
6). Moses............6;
7). Sellet.............3;
8). Urusemal.........6;

Comments

• I beg to differ, sir. On what basis do you establish such a sorry-excuse of a census, Mr. Asor? If you would please, allow me to ask, when you were young, did your schoolmates mock you for your ability to speak English better than they could? Same as it goes for defying challenges that occur in your life. You ought to be unique rather than "shui bian" (this or that) or as to what I know of your reputation, truly individual and dedicated to helping others rather for the benefit of all. Because he's been there, means he's marinated!

Someday you'll be great, until then, respect those who are.
  • Taxi,

I normally agree with most things you write about but these arbirtrary rankings are just too much. Like anyone, you are just backing into supporting people you are already predisposed to by giving them higher ratings in certain categories. Purely subjective.
  • I agree w/ tokai. I mean in terms of education. Urusmal obtained a bachelor's degree in criminal justice. I mean if his degree was CJ - Law Enforcement then purely the complexity of the core courses he took to attain the degree would be at the low end of the spectrum when comparing it to the other disciplines (biology, physics, medicine, etc.). Rating him 6 is absurd. Probably his experiences and age brought him up to par with the other candidates in terms of their abilities to deal with the complex issues that a President is called on to address but the rating system you use to reiterate my point highly subjective.
  • No guys. don't kill the messenger for trying to make a message. if you think his wrong, what is your message. explain and educate, just like Taxiwom is trying to do. I think I agree with Taxiwom electability observtion. Both President Urusemal and senator Alik are unopposed. So they got a 10 each. Christian and Moses is a toss up just like between Killion and Mori. So they each got a 5. A 50% chance each. the education rating is not subjective. anybody who attains a level of degree is given the points for that level. if any educator shows the difference of a degree quality let's hear it. I think in general, the picture makes sense.
  • With all the college degrees one may have, the fundamental issue remains leadership. Who can best lead this country in these trying times when the US Gov't is applying very strict construction and interpretation of the Fiscal Proceedures Agreeement of the Compact ? I believe it is very obvious that we need either Pete Christian or Joseph Urusemal. The others will be run over by the DOI/OIA gangs. My first choice is Pete Christian who has the leadership skills and immense political expertise to deal with these Americans.
  • I think FSM needs change. Change in direction. Change in emphasis and priorities. Change in personnel. Change in leaders and system. A change in system and personnel means that people who have been part of the system for so long, like Christian and Urusemal and Killion must go. Those people's lives have been so dependent on the system, that over time, they have made the system dependent on them. Many employees in the government think they have to support them because they dependent on the system which depends on these individual leaders. Im not sure the FSM people have benefitted from anyone of these old leaders so-called leadership skills or political expertise. Where are those skills and expertise all these time?
    After all these times these farts have been in office, FSM still depends on foreign energy, depends on foreign loans and handouts, depends on foreign fishing companies, depends on a lot of foreign sh*****. More and more FSM citizens have migrated away to search for jobs and livelihoods for themeselves and their children. Where is all those leadership and expertise of those old timer leaders?
    FSM employees who owe their jobs to these old time leaders would like to keep these old timers in office. The old timers relatives who benefit from the old timers control of government want them to continue in offfice so their benefits could continue.
    We are not surprised that a lot of posters are defending these old time leaders for the sake of their jobs and relationship benefits. But honestly and objectively, has the FSM been in a better shape than during the First Compact when the same leaders were managing the FSM?
  • I really want to meet those who always ask that we keep those old leaders in the government. I am good at rearranging people's faces. Much easier than talking and arguing. One Philippino pachinko can solve a lot of these disagreements. Can we discuss these more at the Ala Moana Park, anybody?
  • I am quite perplexed that you rated Senator Moses above average in all categories, yet when it comes to electability by his constituents, you gave him a below average rating. Something is wrong with the equation.
  • First before we analyse the current situation we must look into the past. In 2003, there was no body who want the presidency and was forced upon Yap to take the leadership because of the Compact II negotiation was underway, and because the rest of the Congressmen in the other states were so guilty to face the US for the wrong doing in their State. Now the negotiation is finished and screwed-up, everybody want to show their face for their own personal gratification. I wish the federation will split to becomes chuuk and fiachuuk confederation whilst Pohnpei becomes senyavin republic so there will be no connection with Yap and Korsrae. I am sure Yap and Kosrae will find their pride and dignity in running their own affairs without intervention from the outside politics. Talking about Peter Christain whom he screwed up the compact II negotiation and Moses who claimed for surpluses bact in the early 1990 when he was the governor of Pohnpei but actually he never paid the government debts, now there are better for a change then Urusmal. We never want the presidency in the first place but brought upon us to lead at time of difficulties. We Yapese take responsibility at home and FSM with our leadership being accorded such task and the yapese follow through. An exampl was our second President who was Chuukese borned-Yapese in which we blocked him from entering into Congress the second term because of his nepotism and irresponsibilty. When it comes to major decision-making we, Yapese don't split but afforded the best choice we have. Those congressmen you gave high marks lack honesty and integrity to lead our Nation forward, they are simply building up their profile in the eyes of the public. When you look in their past employment nothing worth to their credetials but using them as their stepping stone to get where they are today. Urusmal may not be the smartest and most experience among them but one thing he will provide stability and unification in the FSM. Yap will take heed for him to succeed in his office but regret if he fails. And this is something you political cowboys haven't got a clue!
  • Turmai, you are both right and wrong just like everybody else. You people cannot help being bias in favor of your old fart politicians. I agree with you thou. all those old farts in the government only use the government to build up their family wealths. nothing they do for the rest of us people. nothing, nothing, nothing, got that? N-O-T-H-I-N-G! let's put new people in that can change the damn government and clean out all the old donkeys!
    And RIMPAC, don't get confusing. Can't you read what the others says. Your Ms Resio Moses only gets 5 because only 50% chance to elected. He gets high marks but for the Pohnepi voters, he either gets elected or does not.
  • It would be most ideal to have a President that has some visions on how he will steer our Governmenht out of the barrier reef and onto smooth open sea sailing. But, that is often not amongst the high priorities for consideration here in the FSM as the choosing of the next President is an internal function by the Congress. For the possible Pohnpei candidates for President, I for one know that Resio and Mohner (if either one wins the at large election) are not as popular as Peter Christian with their colleagues in Congress. Pohnpei will be sitting duck if Christian looses this election. Neither Resio nor Mohner could put up a fair challenge against its peers from Chuuk, Kosrae and Yap. Its politics as usual and the two latter Pohnpei candidates will not be able to hack the challenges that lies ahead, not with honesty and your " good boy " attitude. Politics within the Congress chambers is a complex one. Only a few could understand the many manipulative, secretive and political framework that exists. So, in short, and in Pohnpei's perspective, only Peter Christian amongst his Pohnpeian challengers can make Presidency due largery to his reputed favoritism amongst his collegeous.
  • Barbie

taxi-womw

I think you can become elementary or mental health teacher. Your good in doing grading scales.
  • Turmai,

You claimed to be Yapese but you have no single clue of what the Yapese practical intuition is all about. I totally disagreed with you when you mentioned about the 2nd President of the Nation as a borned Yapese but Chuukese and was not re-elected to the FSM Congress because of Nepotism and irresponsibility. I am a Yapese and I know fully well what happened when he was not re-elected and to tell you what happened he fell victim to the Yapese usual dirty politics. The chiefs of Yap main island got furious with him because he ordered the patrol boat to laeve them behind when the boat was scheduled to leave at such a given time but they came way late as they were taking their sweet Yapese time. When they got mad, they pulled their traditional ranks to influence and threatened the outer island chiefs to influence their people not to vote for him during the up-coming election. So get your facts right and do not misrepresent the facts. What the chiefs were fooling the people with was that even if the 2nd President of the Nation was not re-elected, the hat would be passed on to sophomore conressman who is now our President to be elected President at that time which was non-sense. Urusemal did not make it to President at that time for a fact that the Chuukese Delegation in Congress have the control of who becomes President of this Nation. Let us face this reality that it is the Chuuk Congress Delegation who controls who becomes Presidento of this Nation and with the rate this National Government Admin is going, both Redley and Urusemal may not make it to Presidency. I heard that during the last visit by the President to Yap, one of the chiefs, Ruepong made a public announcement that the Yap Leadership has elected the President to be re-elected President but being so naive that the Chuuk Congress Delegation does control the vote. So we Yapese have to shape up as I even heard rumors from the Chuukese Congressmen old and new that President Hagilelgam and President Urusemal made it to Presidency because they are from the neighboring islands but were they from the main island, they will never get the Chuuk Delegation vote in congress. Let us stop our dirty politics in Yap just like what happende during the last Governor and Lt. Governor election and be human beings to allow whoever is the most suitable, qualified, resolved and practical person to be our President no matter where he is from in the young Nation of ours.

Thank you and sirow.
  • edited February 2007
    Great!! I wish I know these guys and I also wish I could vote on them too...Anyways, I guess it's healthy enough and be worthed to speak our minds out. For some reasons, negative images of our national congress flashes around which really arouses so many fears and doubts in the mind of citizens. Right in the midst of the dogfight between Mr. Fritz and Mr. Killion over the Chuuk's four year seat, unpleasant, sad, filthy, and disgusting political scenes erupted in Chuuk and furthering into the national cabinet or maybe vice versa. Simple citizens with nothing much but being confused by great tactics that blew on top of their heads. Part of the confusions, citizens wondered about the inconvenient of Fritz neighborhood (College of Chuuk) which believed to be Killion's property and negative posters, disgusting papers had been posted everywhere in Chuuk. Citizens bought the idea that there is actually a dogfight goin' on and the fight is being secretly held in the most important offices.
    Right after Mr. Killion won the battle in Chuuk, 14,525 votes to 13,252, he could well have the inside track for presidency. The presidency post has a unwritten agreement-customary rotation over the 4 states. Infact, there was a rumor in Palikir that Chuuk's turn was suppossedly that curving turn, after the first and last Chuukese(Mr.Tosiwo.Nakayama) who ever held the president post. It was actually more likely to be Mr. Killion since he was seating on the second post during Mr.Falcam's reigns. It turned out that Yap is now holding the post. I really don't know who in the Cabinet voted for the President now. All I know that the National/Cabinet started since then to focus on the corruption claimed to be in Chuuk. It was actually started in the Namoneas region, Chuuk. I personally think that evrything always have both the positives and the negatives. From images being flashed in citizen heads citzens started to believe that there are Parties in the national... As for the question about who should be the right president I would say I personally don't know, only that Mr. Moses' resume loudly hit my eardrums... but I'll ask a different question: WHICH PARTY WOULD BE THE BEST FOR THE GOVERNMENT?
  • I THINK TAXI-WOMW POSED A VERY IMPORTANT QUESTIONS, A QUESTIONS THAT EVERY VOTER NEEDS TO ASK THEMSELVES WHEN THEY CHECK OFF THE BOX NEXT TO A NAME. BUT THE REALITY IS THAT EVEN IF YOUR IDEAL CANDIDATE MAKES INTO THE 4 YEARS SEAT, HE HAS A 25% CHANCE OF MAKING IT TO THE PRESIDENCY. THE "GENTLEMEN AGREEMENT" OF ROTATING THE PRESIDENCY AMONG THE FOUR STATES WAS BROKEN WHEN LEO FALCAM BECAME PRESIDENT AND AGAIN WHEN URUSEMAL BECAME PRESIDENT. IN ALL FAIRNESS, CHUUK WAS UP. RATHER CHUUK HAS HELD THE VICE PRESIDENCY FOR THE LAST TWO TERMS. SO YOU SEE, THE BALL IS IN PLAY. THE CONGRESS AS ALWAYS WILL CHOOSE OUR PRESIDENT FOR THEIR BENEFIT.
  • Sirow to sirow;

Sorry to know that you have the facts but not being able to analyse them. The irresponsibility that I was talking about is the very fact that he left the two houses of chiefs behind. It is irresponsible and disrespect in our culture especially to those who got you there in the first place. And whether or not the council of Pilung influenced the council of Tamol not to vote for him the second term around is insignificant to the fact that still remained at the beginning of his first term, that the council of Tamol been hesitant for his nomination which the council of Pilung overruled in his favour. To be a top politician in a country one must accorded with diplomacy and a true sense of polity. You must never been around during his administration when his first state-visit was to Chuuk and not Yap. How was his constituents reacted? Remorse. The people from his island and his wife's island move in the National government for the under qualified positions. The result was the patrol boat being a grounded by captain Coral on the reef in Pohnpei. So please don't just swallow something as it comes even if watering your mouth but take a bite at it one piece at a time to unfold its taste.
  • Turmai,

You must have some big animousity toward President Hagilelgam but I think even visiting Chuuk first, he played his cards okay as he knew the Chuuk Delegation put him in for President, not the chiefs of Yap even though he was voted to Congress by the people of Yap. You never commented on the rest of my text. The captains of the patrol boats were chosen through a legal process which was by the Government PSSR. Infact the captains were chosen from those who applied and were deemed qualified by the PSSR, not by the 2nd President ruling. The fundamental issue is that the Yapese lost the Presidency for that dirty politics but not by the fact that the Captain ran the patrol boat on the reef either from negligence or accident. Get your acts together and be a practical Yapese with respect rather than throwing unsubstantiated issues out which you may not have clue what they are all about. You never commented on my points that the Chuukese Congress Delegation have the final say in Congress but bit around the bush. It does not matter where the President decides to visit whether Yap, Chuuk, Pohnpei Kosare or Sapuwafik or Ant Island but it is based on advise from his advisors and the best of his judgement.

For you my Yapese friend, when you said the people from his island and his wife's island move into under positions at the National Government, you cannot sunstantiate even these claims. I am certain that the President did not hire as there was already a law on recruitment and if you need to find out about the law, you visit the www,fsmlaw.org so you get the facts straight rather than shooting from the hips and making Yap name no good in the eyes of the public.

Sirow! Sirow! Tirow! Komodada.
  • Siro,

You are getting to annoy me because you present the facts but failed to analyze them. When you analyze the facts you may stumble upon more facts which are conclusive in nature so don't just swallow them as they first come. I don't have any personal animosity toward Hagilelgam but merely chosen to talk about his past wrongdoing in politic as well as in his presidential office. He has the credential in establishing 16 foreign relations with the FSM. I though it would be a lesson for us, Yapese to learn from his mistakes but you seems not to follow through. You keep on repeating that Chuuk delegation was/is in control of who can become the president of this nation. In essence, the Chuuk delegation was split at that time where eastern islands of Chuuk supported Moses and the western islands supported Hagilelgam. It is a common phenomenon in Chuuk politics. However, Hagilelgam could never been there if it wasn't for the people in Yap whom they voted for him. And when the lobbying started in congress in which he became one of the contender for the presidency the two houses of council in Yap gave him their blessing and a promise to support him throughout his tenure ship. It was the Yap delegation that pushed for his support and won the deciding vote. And by saying that "he played his card right" for his first state-of-visit didn't augured well at the dock. So you are contradicting your points here. It is not simply as you put it of how he lost support because he left the chiefs behind but actually all his deeds from the time in office until his re-election. Can't you dig! And by the way, I can tell that you are not on solid ground regarding politics and governmental bureaucracy. The legal process of PSSR was ineffective especially when a prominent politician can stir up to his liking. A lot of qualified FSM citizens applied for the positions on the patrol boat but overlooked for less qualified ones. Especially captain Memai and others but they been settled to second in command to captain Coral. To lets you know of my source is my very own eyes and ears because I worked for the National Government and joined the campaign trip to the outer islands with Hagilelgam and John Mangefel. So just because you work for COM you can defend you colleague but don't make accusation without concrete basis. It is malicious intent. So go find another topic discussion and pissed-off from here.
  • Siro,

You are getting to annoy me because you present the facts but failed to analyze them. When you analyze the facts you may stumble upon more facts which are conclusive in nature so don't just swallow them as they first come. I don't have any personal animosity toward Hagilelgam but merely chosen to talk about his past wrongdoing in politic as well as in his presidential office. He has the credential in establishing 16 foreign relations with the FSM. I though it would be a lesson for us, Yapese to learn from his mistakes but you seems not to follow through. You keep on repeating that Chuuk delegation was/is in control of who can become the president of this nation. In essence, the Chuuk delegation was split at that time where eastern islands of Chuuk supported Moses and the western islands supported Hagilelgam. It is a common phenomenon in Chuuk politics. However, Hagilelgam could never been there if it wasn't for the people in Yap whom they voted for him. And when the lobbying started in congress in which he became one of the contender for the presidency the two houses of council in Yap gave him their blessing and a promise to support him throughout his tenure ship. It was the Yap delegation that pushed for his support and won the deciding vote. And by saying that "he played his card right" for his first state-of-visit didn't augured well at the dock. So you are contradicting your points here. It is not simply as you put it of how he lost support because he left the chiefs behind but actually all his deeds from the time in office until his re-election. Can't you dig! And by the way, I can tell that you are not on solid ground regarding politics and governmental bureaucracy. The legal process of PSSR was ineffective especially when a prominent politician can stir up to his liking. A lot of qualified FSM citizens applied for the positions on the patrol boat but overlooked for less qualified ones. Especially captain Memai and others but they been settled to second in command to captain Coral. To lets you know of my source is my very own eyes and ears because I worked for the National Government and joined the campaign trip to the outer islands with Hagilelgam and John Mangefel. So just because you work for COM you can defend you colleague but don't make accusation without concrete basis. It is malicious intent. So go find another topic discussion and pissed-off from here.
  • Speculations of who deserves the better grades from a pool of winner-loser prospects without knowing who will eventually reach the Congress Chamber and is in suitably better position to receive the blessings of the FSM Congressmen are only uncertainties as to contemplate. Thus, I am taking the initiative and liberty to construct and narrow down the prospectives to only a few to make the equation a simple one based on my own analysis.

Since the at-large seats in both Yap and Kosrae are uncontested, the two current incumbents have 100% chance to be considered for the presidency and vice-presidency without any doubt. For qualification purposes, both are well qualified as they have already met the qualifying requirements as stipulated in the FSM Election Law. Although we may not feel satisfied with their performance in office one way or the other, there is nothing we can do to hinder their election to the higher posts. Education here is not to be viewed as significant as we might think because it is absolutely not a requirement in the first place to be a candidate to the FSM Congress.

However, the intense of the election campaign is in Chuuk and Pohnpei as there are many candidates vying for the at-large seats, the first eligibility requirement to be considered legally for both the presidency and vice presidency.

Among the three candidates, I think Resio Moses will garner the most votes despite rumors that Congressman Albert is helping him in his precinct. Resio Moses is a popular name in Sokehs. He is one of a kind in the minds of the people there. He is highly comparable to the late Strick Yoma in all over Pohnpei because he posses the qualities and characteristics that the people have desired and cherished for so many years. Most of all, he makes himself a messenger of the people not the kind that look down on the people. Best of all, Resio delivers what he promises because of his lowly kinship with the communities he serves for many years with results.

On the other hand, Peter Christian is viewed and regarded by many even non-Pohnpeians as the greedy businessman and irresponsible politician in the FSM for many reasons. First, his involvement with the saga of the downfall of the Compact II which left many citizens in awe and astonishment to the discontinuance of essential programs to the nation. Sencond, his self-interests in spearheading the creation of business affiliations that can handily channel public funds into his business empire run by his family and associates. There are many reasons besides these that I sincerely believe that he will lose the votes to Resio.

Mr. Esiel may have the capability to run but he needs more public showings before he can have the attention from the people to secure his political longing. It is very tough especially running against two heavy weights who have been there for many years and who have captured recognition by their fellow congressmen.

In Chuuk, the race will be a neck to neck one with Redly Killion on the march. During the previous election for the same seat and despite the negative campaigns against Killion, Mr. Killion has proved to his strong opponents that he is not that easy to reckon with. Traditionally, Mr. Killion does not have many relatives in the outer islands in Chuuk, but his wife has. This is one of the advantages of Mr. Killion beating out his rivals. Even though he seldom visits the outer islands before the election day, his votes are fully secured by his wife and wife's relatives.

Manny, on the other hand, is not that popular in spite of the fact that he frequently visits the islands on many occasions. Unless there is a change in hearts by the people, he can change the whole story to his advantage. The people of the outer islands are remorseful. If Manny keeps on visiting, then some miracles may happen to change the outcome as I genuinely see it from past observations.

Mr. Sellet is from the Mortlocks, but I don't think he will have the votes from his own region. He is new to the political scene and needs to showcase his ability to lead before expressing his longing ambition.

Therefore, I believe the candidates to the presidency and vice presidency are: Urusemal, Alik, Redley and Resio. Among these, I think Redley will be elected to the presidency with Resio to the vice presidency. This is merely based on my own suspicion and the anticipation of new faces in the Chuuk Congressional Delegation comes March 2007.

Waiiooo
  • Turmai and Sirow:

The fact is Hagilelgam lost to Urusemal in that crucial election because Urusemal is a better politician in knowing which traditional buttons to press and how to run an election. Both are good people but Hagilelgam has always come across as being more aloof and something of an outsider. I do not criticize him for this; in fact, I respect his outspokeness at times. Its just that it is not the ideal political style to win an election. But I think J.H. has done a good job as COM prof, being able to stand back from the day-to-day of politics and look at things from a broader perspective. Now Urusemal is coming under criticism for being too much of an insider with too few results. He will get re-elected in Yap , but does not inspire the confidence to get a second term as President. If he does get reelected as President it will be because he as perceived as the "least worst" , not the best. But I respect him also, esp. on how he as stood up to Congress on some important issues.

I think the critical vote in March is in Chuuk. In Pohnpei , regardless of whether Resio or Pete wins, the next Pres will not be Pohnpeian. I have no idea of who will win in Chuuk. The only certain thing is , there will be there will be a lot of back room wheeling and dealing after the election to elect the President.
  • stop all this nonsense about politics....
  • Turmai,

I do not give a rats ass if I am annoying you but you are annoying me too when you do not even know what you are mumbling about. You do not even have a damn idea who Hagilelgam was against in that Congress caucus before he was elected President by the majority of Congress. The name is Leo Falcam- not Moses who you claim so you should be the one pissing off here. I know because eventhough I am in Fiji now, I still get my facts right than you claim. You have not been even exposed to politics yet as you seem not to have any foundation. The very Captain memai you are talking about became the Captain of the 2nd Boat and by the way, and it was still when Hagilelgam was President. I think you got mad because you were not getting a better salary with the National Government when Hagilelgam was President. At least Hagilelgam was not run by the mercy of the Vice President and his Cabinet and a pool of fools like you and the rest from Satawal. I am not trying to defend the 2nd President of the Nation but I do think all the Presidents of this Nation who ever they are,must be accorded respect and you and I must not bad name them. They were elected into office through their political strengths but not by your mouth manupilation and they all have their weaknesses and strengths like every human beings. If you are so fond of being a President, why dont you run for Congress because I know for sure I will not vote for you and my people of Gagil and relatives in Mogmog will never even consider voting for you.

Tokai, I do agree with you on most of your points and I tell you that to win Presidency does not mean you muct be a good politician because it all depends on the Congress caucus and how a member of Congress is able to convince the majority of Congress that he can do the job and win their votes.
  • Lots of interesting discussions on the subject matter, however, they all lead to one thing, bad mouthing. I believe the discussions were about the next FSM President. Who is qualified to be the next President. I would rather talk about the congressmen. Thats where it will all start. Why don't we work on putting the best of the best of our people into the congress. Since they will all be the best of the best, they can decide in their caucus on the next President and whoever they decide, we will all be happy about it. If whoever they decide didn't do the job, than let us all piss on them all.
  • Thank you murphy for coming in to moderate here. Yeaaaah! I agree with you that we should re-focus and talk about our four Congressmen at large to win the election. Of course the current President is running un-upposed so he will easily become at large from Yap and may win Presidency once again to complete his 8 year term but with mercy of the Chuuk Concgress better chance if the same Congress from Chuuk comes back. VP Redley or incumbent Mani Mori from Chuuk. If Redley wins, he may not get the votes of his own Delegation but may be turned around as people are saying Chuuk must gets its turn of Presidensy now. Mori if win may end up the Vice President to either Alik Alik of Kosrae or Pete Christian from Pohnpei. Resio Moses has been sick and may end up the Vice-President if win. Christian may barge his way thru Congress through the long caucus and win Presidency as there is talk this nation needs a strong and arrogant President to push compact issues through JEMCO and evn the white house. Mohner if win is a freshman and will not get the votes of Congress yet to the Executive. Alik from Kosrae is going for VP but who knows may end up President if there is a deadlock between Pohnpei and Chuuk Delegation. He may not be President if his friend from Kosrea Vice Speaker Claude becomes the Speaker and so as Uruisemal if his friend from Yap Figir becomes the Speaker. These are my persoanl view lets hear yours. But no matter what I belief we need a strong and resolved President.

Turmai, my Yapese friendo, let us resting our case and stop bad mouthing and talk senseible on who will be our next Presidento.
  • hey you two take your brush and go to the rest-room and wash out those nonesenses politic from your mouths.
    This is not a place for you to show your personnal emotion ok. after all your arguement what next the changes happen or it will take overnight. THINK BIG AND STOP SHOOTING OUT YOUR GUNS WITH OUT BULLET..

KOMOES PIS
  • Kasusu,

I smell ur bad breath too. This forum i believe is for shooting out issues so at last we have peace and harmony and a good President. Thats why you are kasusu because even when your stupid, you speak like ur the boss.

Thank you and moche.
  • Kaselehlie maingko,

History of FSM Congress might be repeating itself this year;

Bethwel Henry ....2yrs term....Speaker....run for at-large(4yrs)...LOST
    Jack Fritz..........2yrs term....Speaker....run for at-large(4yrs)...LOST
    Peter Christian....2yrs term....Speaker....running for at-large(4yrs)..????

Or who knows, Christian might make history this year.
  • Interesting comments and observations on the most electable president. I like the idea that we elect someone about the four-years whom we can trust the most and is capable of meeting the high responsibility of the presidency. On the concept of "trust", this is a must for a leader in a time when funding to run a government of five is reduced and will continue along that bleaky path in the foreseeable future, when our economic base is low and lacking recilience, when there is donor fatigue accompanied by demands by donors for good governance among other lofty public service principles, when there is less trade preferences, when direct foreign investment is insufficient and, one important point which can be a consequent of this gloomy outlook is, when there is greater tendency for leaders to abuse their position fo personal/business gains or CORRUPTION. On the issue of electing someone that is capable and fit to run the nation, this has to come from not only academic qualifications but experience and fitness as well, although I would presume that everyone running is fit, physically and psychologically. Mind you that the concept of trust is not separate from the issue of being capable, because it is based on the experiences and qualifications of tha person that we can gauge some of his/her trustworthiness.

So, there you go--who do you think is trustworthy and capable based on those two factors (trust and capability) which are by no means the only factors but are the most important ones I propose to you, my countrymen and women? Can we agree that the less experience and educationally qualified a person, the least we can expect of him to perform as president of our nation? Let me also suggest as food for thought that it is good to have not only depth of qualifications and experiences but also variety of them, meaning the person should serve in not only high positions but various capacities, national and state, domestic and foreign affairs, even if you wish, traditional and modern orientations and affiliations (i.e.chiefly stature, connections with NGOs, Church-based Organizations, etc.). Look, I would like to respect, not necessarily trust, someone who cares about our cultures/traditions, someone who is a person of faith and who holds principles about minority issues often championed by NGOs and Churches. These are experiences that could be helpful in making your selection because they add some "depth" and "variety" to a person's profile and upon which you can assess their "trustworthiness" and "capability" factors.

Finally, when you are able to put together a profile of that person, may I suggest that you not forget claims, and I say "claims" because it is something that may need corroboration, about each person's performances and character, especially claims of possible abuse of office and expected professional conduct necessary for our leaders. We can all remember that respect is something earned not learned, and this is true for our leaders.

Good luck... and I will give mine when I am able to establish my profiling work.
  • your right kor, i think peter will make history this year and i can feel it. it will be like the 56th nba all star game you know.