CAUSE WAY LANDFILLING

edited March 2007 in General
What is happening to our beautiful Dekehtik causeway?

Comments

• BIZ E,

LIKE YOU, I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED BY WHAT IS HAPPENING TO OUR CAUSE WAY. I HAVE VOICED MY CONCERNES WITH OUR POLITICIANS AND SOME MEMBERS OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES WHEN I FIRST HEARD OF THE PLAN FOR LEASING OUT THE AREAS ALONG THE CAUSE WAY. I GUESS MY LONE CONCERNS CARRIED NO WEIGHT. NOW WE HAVE A LARGE (RUSTING) WAREHOUSE LEASED OUT TO SENNY'S, LAND FILLING IN OTHER PLACES. I ENVISIONED A CAUSEWAY WITH A SIDEWALK TO BE USED FOR EXCERCISING, BIKING, FAMILY ENJOYMENT BUT I GUESS IT IS TOO LATE. POHNPEI STATE HAS CREATED ANOTHER AREA TO BUILD BUILDINGS THAT WILL ONLY DETERIORATE, THAT WILL BECOME A SLUM. IT IS BAD ENOUGH THAT THE FIRST THING THAT VISITORS TO OUR ISLAND SEES IS THE STATE DUMP. THIS AGAIN IS A PRIME EXAMPLE OF THE LACK OF PLANNING AND FORWARD THINKING ON THE PARTS OF OUR STATE GOVERNMENT. WE NEED TO END THIS.
  • Maybe it's not too late.

We're hoping to have a new administration that will be sensitive enough to environmetal matters to stop this unnecessary degradation.

Other inputs?...
  • In other words, again the age old adage; "think globally act locally". We may want to start tidying up for our own good and maybe, just maybe in the near future such things as a globally acknowledged "worldpark" will be a reality. A place where the inhabitants exist responsibly within a natural habitat that is preserved and mindfully utilized and therefore present an environment where one can once again become close to if not become one with nature. Sharing of such an environment will certainly be an experience to be had by all living NOW and definitely for countless generations to come.

Awareness will certainly be a deciding factor in the success or failure of the push for a collective stewardship of a limited source which is our natural environment/habitat. Each individual must be aware of ecology and economy and how they are so closely intertwined that abuse of one can easily destroy the other or vice versa. A balance must be made where the trade off will be environmentally sound and yet be a plus and not a minus on the revenues generation side of things.

micro at LARGE
  • thanks Lodup- very informative and logical.

One question comes to my mind: Why would the government spend $20,000 on a study for the World Park scheme and yet their moving ahead to destroy our beautiful Dekehtik Causeway?

Everyone I beg of you, Please make some noise in regards to this environment disaster in the making. Let's get loud on this forum, in the markets, in our homes and in the chamber of Legislature- STOP THE DEGRADATION OF THE CAUSEWAY!
  • Honestly, I think the warehouse should be torn down. I stand to be corrected, but I am certain that is a project funded by the FSM Development Bank. What kind of mortgage deal did the borrower cough up with the bank to approve development on a government property? Moreover, while the Government (PPA) is amply pushing Misko Beach Resort and the INS Hotel out of Deketik island why is it allowing other new ventures into the same locale? yes indeed, there is something not right about that warehouse.
  • i thought pohnpeians use " cause way" as a dumbing area? its wud we chuukese call " kapich"....
  • My little thought on the causeway. Remember mehn Pohnpei kan, "First Impression leaves Lasting Impression."
  • I bring this back so that we can discuss further what we can do to STOP this nonesense happening to our environment
  • Awareness being our main push now, it may be a plan to make a walkway at the side of the causeway road protected from traffic, but does go around the "sore eyes" parts thoroughly. Just build a fine walk where a bicycle can comfortably ride alongside a runner, what 4' or 5'. This walk will create an unrestricted access and a clear one on one visual in all the bad stuff described. Proceed to arrange fund-raiser activities that demand completion of the route to get a "Sokehs Rock View" T-Shirt. Of course , the walk will be ironically called the "Sokehs Rock View" walk. The whole walk is an awareness of what is actually going on around you as you take the walk, however the great view of Sokehs Rock is the carrot at the end of the stick. As the Air Force would put it, "AIM HIGH!" There how is that for a cost effective eye opener project, eh? Of course a toll would be paid up front for organized groups to block the walk for fundraising activities, if such...defray cost, etc.

micro at LARGE
  • I agree that the cause way should have a bike path, jogging trail, lighted sidewalks, a tourist attraction site like the Seattle Pike market to include restaurants on top floor and local produce and fish market on the bottom on the side where where the tourism development zone is located along this site could be a marina. I don't care if the government build it or the Adams family, but it would be more attractive and we local ctiziens can take a nice stroll day or night. This would be a better plan than a warehouse lot. The other side where the Industrial Zone is can be for kayak rental shops, bike rental shops, handicraft shops etc. but no warehouses just make the buildings attractive for tourists and locals. Make sure there is ample parking space and extend the two way lanes to four to accomodate the traffic in the future before it is too late.
  • Bravo!
    Dawn, I like your outlook. You immediately are already counting on the results and rightly so. Why? because the landfill stinking and looking bad is just that a "landfill". That trash will turn into a perfect golf course once dirt from inland somewhere covers it up. Probably it need to be churned and covered more frequently to assure the walkers and bikers that the end result as you predict is around the corner. It is almost a mahs nix problem to a good egineer, most probably the Adams family(you're right).

The crater created by the movement of earth may be turned into either an inland swim stadium or a energy generation dam? Some type of trade-off like that. Again, Dawn, that's a great outlook!!

micro at LARGE
  • Kalahngan,

All of your inputs are positive and may be used by decision makers who, I believe, are reading this post.
    If your one of our brave Pohnpeian great leaders, please make it a point to re-visit this development plan to give it a second chance- to have an environmenally responsible plan that may heed to what the concerned citizens are pleading for.
  • Biz e, how is the current plan not environmentally not responsible? Research first before you post. Find the laws, committee reports that created those laws. Any rules and regulations that have been implemented? Have you read them all. If you have, then by all means, venture into your discusssions. Otherwise, one loses credibility.
  • Pohnpei Mahs,

Thank you, your right.. So, can you please give us some details.
    The environment degradation I was refering to is right in front of my own two eyes. I see that the ocean is being damaged by filling and soon will be from dredging. That's all I'm propositioning- Won't it be better if we re-locate this development plan somewhere else? somewhere far from the ocean? I don't know.. maybe your a better judge of where or where not to damage as far as our environment is concerned, but for me when I see that an unnecessary development plan is going to forever damage our eco system- I am adamantlyl opposed to it and will unrelentlessly voice against it until the end of time.

thank you
  • The entire notion behind laws that are made by legislatures, like Pohnpei Legislature, is that they should represent the people's consent, by proxy. In other words, you elect the Legislature members, they make laws for you. Your comments should have been made during the public hearings. Every law goes through public hearing, twice at least.

Everything that deals with technology, arguably, causes environmental impacts, in some form. The use of cell phones, the Misko's landfill, the causeway itself, the computer user, the driver, the fisherman even those that use no fuel because of the coral that you step on and so forth. It is a constant toss up on the benefit v. impact spectrum and this is a global issue. For one to plainly critize a law tantamounts to critizing one's haircut. You had some indirect control in the first place. You got the point.
  • edited March 2007
    Got it!

Now that we are headed in this direction- tell me, do you reallly believe that public hearings are done properly at the legislature? When have we, citizens, been made aware of such public hearings. No one listens to AM radio, which is the only medium that's utilized to announce the upcoming hearings. I think if this is where the communication breakdown is we need to have alternate mediums to allow for the majority of the populace to be aware of such public hearings.

In the past there has been controversial legislations that have become laws that are contradictory to what you have presented. As of today these controversial laws that were created without "PROPER" public hearings are rearing up their ugliness and will effect the current legislative class, to where they will need to re-visit some of those improper legislating procedures to correct.

All I'm saying is there was a law passed. OK! Now tell me, what percentage of the populace was aware of such a development plan to begin with. The degredation of the causeway will happen. The biggest question is " Did the legislature properly aware the citizens before the passage of this law?" If not, then what's happened is those of us who did not partake in this "PUBLIC HEARING" is seeing the effect of this legislation first hand- and NOW, partaking in the mop up operation- so to speak- in the effort to- at least, have some sensable environmental awareness added to the overall perspective of this Development project. Again I ask- Is the Causeway the ONLY area that we can have this development scheme. Why Not Palikir or Madolenihmw or somewhere else that is land based not in our pristine ocean?

I suggest that for future public hearings or any sort, the legislature need to make sure we have enough awareness throuhout the majority of the populace before they hastily pass legislations that may affect lives and the environment for ever- depriving our children of such God Given beauties that we take for granted- nonchalantly disposing it as if it were our own creation.
  • Where is the Department of Health in defending the health of the people in all of this? They should lobby for the people and tell the Governor to stop destroying the Cause Way. Mr. Director David should tell Mr. Governor David that the area is good for the health of the people as a way for them to exercise.
    If the Government want to create money, they should take their business to where business is most accessible to the people. Look at the whole island of Sockehs and its overcrowed neighborhoods for example. Create a road between the top of the mountain and the current road to spread the people apart. Good for health and good for business. People or the government can set up more businesses on these roads and perhaps more markets because people will have easier access to their lands to plant crops and sell them to the public. This will generate money for the Government and Cause way can be maintained as a place to take the family out and have a healthy day.
  • Pipe,
    There you go "preserve the best while improving the rest", I take that to mean let's work in all corners. Not a bad idea, however, sometimes it is best to pick one thing at a time and if the others are screaming for attention we must focus on the first. We can't all the time "kill two birds with one stone", though the saying is surely popular, it describes a very oppurtinistic and oftentimes an unlrealistic goal. Another thought is to concentrate and finish the first project so then we can use the historical data of where we were weak to strengthen for the next project. I guarantee that the next job will be quicker, easier and more efficiently executed and will start yielding true experts that can then educate and duplicate the good deeds to the point where we can tackle two or more at one time. Our products will be better for it.

Where the impact is greatest is where we give our efforts first. The argument that the causeway is the welcome mat to Pohnpei is truly very poignant in the discussion. Not only should it be a source of pride, but again that first impression is very strong memory. If we are in the business of discouraging visitors then we can delay. Also the argument of environment, of course, foremost. I put the other point first because it is one that is very important to us as ours is a culture that values a hospitable image.

As far as the poignancy of the environmental factor; again that's true of many other areas on the island that we can tackle more efficiently and expediently once we complete the first project and that is the Causeway that holds the port airport and all types of international traffic(TALK ABOUT A RUN -ON SENTENCE). Here is where impressions are made or broken...? Here is a true case of "think globally and act locally".

micro at LARGE
  • BEEN WATCHING THIS THREAD, YOUR ALL RIGHT!
    stop THIS CRAZY IDEA OF FILLING THE OCEAN. THE SUPPOSED INVESTORS WHO INITIATED THE PROJECT WILL
    NEVER COME. WHY DO WE HAVE TO CONTINUE ON THE NOTION THAT THEIRS WAS A GOOD PLAN. YOU KNOW THOSE AUSTRALIAN SCHEMERS THOUGHT THEY COULD HAVE OUR LEADERS LANDFILL THE OCEAN SO THEY CAN BRING IN INVESTORS TO OCCUPY THE AREA. BULL SH**. THEY NEVER MADE GOOD BECAUSE RESIO MOSES TRASHED THE IDEA. NOW JOHNNY DAVID WANTS TO CONTINUE THE PLAN SO HIS SON CAN LANDFILL ONE AREA FOR THEMSELVES.
  • Pipe,

Your comment is clever; however, there was a very popular saying in the TT days of old. "Why cry over spilled milk?" and, of course; if you know, our milk usually come from a can (Global First?), then the answer is, "Drink a coconut and burb loudly!" (and, of course, that there is the (Local Remedy).

Though it would have been ideal to dwell on the local stuff and keep drinking coconuts and never have to spill milk and have cry after it...that's not exactly what happened. We have to import more milk because we are attached to it; besides who wants to be climbing coconuts every morning when you can just walk down to the neighborhood store and buy a can of condensed milk? Or soda for that matter.

Global is here and we have to deal with it. Ironically for us global had been here since the beginning of our exposure to the European explorers and such, but only in this era are we now able to have some say on the phenomenon. We may not be able to stop the influx of notions, but at least we can better prepare for them and probably be able to sift and modify before assimilation... or not!

micro at LARGE
  • Where were you guys when the law makers decided to designate these areas for this purpose? And where were you guys when the PLA boards announced the bublic hearing to lease the area for business community and the public to comment... I think you need to pay attention to what going on at pailapalap accrding to the chairman of land committee PSL.
  • Very well said Ngersang! Hindsight is 20/20.

I think since the site has been designated as a development area, the way it is being developed is the main concern to the people. The Legislature is not to blame. The law was created to spur the development of the area and that's exactly what's happening but some restraints and controls should be put in place by EPA, and the Land Department as to the type and methods of development. Dawn has good visions and these can be put in place to ensure the place looks good and attractive but no need to go changing the laws. It's the administrating agencies that are not ensuring controls are in place to steer the development to ensure the finished product will be attractive and in compliance with conservation laws and other common sense. After all the area was open to the publice to submit proposals for developing the area and all had a chance to input comments or objections.
  • Thank you all for the compliments. However, I would like to comment on public hearing notices. We must change the law to bring us up-to-date on avenues to publicize laws besides radio broadcast. We need to add Channel 20, Kaselehlie Press, and flyers at Postal Services, PUC, FSM Telecom and municipal offices. If a proposed bill will affect a village or tenants or groups the law must change to add the village or municipality. Ignorance is no excuse so we all should be given a chance to voice our concerns and maybe our leaders will be more careful in the future. This is our home, we all should be concerned. If zoning is the trend now to benefit certain individuals, the law clearly explains conflict of interest and that there be a plan first before the Department of Land can issue out leases. Clearly this Administration does not carry out the mandate of the law because someone greatly benefitted from this zoning law. We can be more aware if the public hearing notices are changed to add other avenues besides just radio. If only Misko Edwin was given an opportunity like these Industrial Zone tenants to use the land for 50 years and not pay one penny. Maybe she will not be in the mess she is in right now with PPA Board. All this is going on under the same leader that will greatly benefit from the Industrial Zone whether through his son. Let us ponder the fairness of this and if you care, come forward make a difference. It is not too late. Sakau talk is sakau talk and most of the time it is gossip we should step forward and make a difference before we are overtaken by Chinese and other foreigners who have more money and can easily bribe their way.
  • What's all the grunts against development unless it has spoiled the scenery it provides but those that only gone there for nightly espacade will never know the difference.
  • Great News!

The council of the Chiefs have spoken:
    The development zone project ie; the land filling will sieze at once. No further land filling is allowed until further notice.

Keep your ears open and post em here. Kalahngan!
  • Turmai, I find your sense of humor suspect and dangerous! (just kidding); LOL!. Dawn, thanks, you again being eloquent and very sensible. Biz e; though you announce a good piece of news one wonders what the alternative may be?? For dumping, that is. Surely you must have heard of the analogy using different parts of the body for decision makers of function...guess who won in the end?

(Give me a headsup for out of line, understood).

micro at LARGE
  • Okay, strike that last comment. All I am trying to say is that we need the quickest and yet most sound construction that will take into account the environment; and also the aesthetic quality of the area. Also in consideration that us having a dump at such site; need to designate a more environment friendly site that will be somewhat out of the way; but not so far away that just fueling the transport of dumping becomes outrageous.

micro at LARGE
  • Oh no...
    Why at da cause way? Whay ruin da beauty of the island?

Yes there is a trash dump there but the whole area can be saved for future improvement of our airport. If the tourism industry improves in Pohnpei, the airport will be elarged first to enable more planes and tourists to come in. So I am sure there are more land areas besides the cause way that can be used for the factory construction. The beauty of the cause way will be the first and last impression in the tourists eyes, and this beauty has a significant power to lure more and motivate many to come again.
    Lets be smart and use our enviornment wisely!
  • Good folks of the forum,

Correct me if I am mistaken, are we constructing factories? Was that the plan or were we to construct a scenery enhancing liesure area where one can walk and bike and do all the family outings (daytime) activities without having to motor to a different island, etc? Family friendly picnic areas and a fine view of Sokehs rock to boot. All the forementioned would go a long way towards an improved airport. And if I am not mistaken the length of the runway is the dimension in question presently and not not necessarily the periferal width. As far as the breadth; we already have the dock and warehouses and such. And, by the way... are there future plans of maybe annexing netpoint into the picture? I know that may be a sacred cow, but discussion will surely surface in the future, at which time the beautiful Rock of Sokehs will also bring in the leeward end of the real estate. MMMmmm...foreboding indeed; using the trademark of the Sokehs Rock itself may again become an issue of infringement and discomfort to the powers that be.

No specific targets intended; food for thought.

micro at LARGE
  • I find it disappointing what the State Department of Public land is allowing out there. The landfilling we were concerned about stopped- which is on the easterly side of the causeway, which is great; Now! the government has allowed a new filling to resume but on the westerly side now.. I mean what the heck is going on? Development is unquestionably needed at this juncture of our bottomed out economy, but is it really necessary to destroy the ocean while we're at it?

I don't know- how do you feel about this..