FSM Graduates Association

edited March 2007 in General
Wouldn't it be nice to formulate a Graduates association for FSM? That way we can have a listing of people who went to school and studied different things so we can ask them for help? E.g say I went to school to study law or medicine or book keeping, I can provide help for my fellow peers who need my expertise and vice-versa. This is just a thought. Alot of FSMers went to school and/or are in school for different interests of studies, we can all use each other to better our country in away. I would like to say that the Graduates association would include everyone that are in college and above.

Comments

• How about us....college dropouts?

Can we be included.....I was college so that includes me, right? hhehe

I guess I don't qualify for your topic....

Hammertime during graduation time
  • PIOKIOK,

HAVING A COLLEGE DEGREE IS VERY IMPORTANT ESPECIALLY IF YOU WANT TO GET A GOOD JOB IN THE GOVERNMENT AND ADVANCE. HOWEVER, LET ME SAY THAT HAVING A COLLEGE DEGREE DOES NOT GUARANTEE THAT YOU ARE THE BEST FOR THE JOB THAT YOU ARE HIRED FOR. YOU ONLY MET THE REQUIREMENTS. THIS USUALLY RESULTS IN SUBSTANDARD PERFORMANCE IN A CERTAIN JOB DISCIPLINES. EXPERTISE CAN BE DERIVED FROM THOSE WHO DO NOT HAVE A COLLEGE DEGREE AND A VAST EXPERIENCE IN CERTAIN FIELDS.
  • I know of many people who were lucky enough to get very highly paid jobs during the 90's simply because they have a diploma that indicated he/she was a college graduate. Believe me, not all of them are productive enough. As we can see, our governments are supposedly run by people who were hired to have better education than some of us. Look at what we have! Chuuk for one has been led by a so-called PHD holder in Education. He was capable enough to turn the whole state upside down. Now, the only people I applaud them so far are the lawyers. They are able to give the most heavy duty lies of all.

Think again...Our founders of this nation were not all professionally educated before they became leaders. They went through a process of disciplining themselves to work together, put their heads and minds together and instead of taking everything they picked up from outside, they molded with what they learned from their own backyards and made the best out of them.

Yes, it's okay to build a directory of those who graduated from college and have it available at hand for times of needs, but please, do not conceit yourself to say that you are better than those of us who didn't go to college.
  • Hi again. i'm sorry if i come out as someone who is conceited. My thought was for us to use each other in whatever we're good at so that when people need what we know, we can help. That's the point I want across. And you're right, i may have graduated with a certain degree but don't have much knowledge in that field. But it's kind of hard to really go to school for that long and not gain a lot from that. But I look up people with the same field as mine and ask for help whom also went to school at least.
  • piokiok, don't worry your thought is a genuine one for the sake of good caused. Sometimes when you say 'educated' or 'college graduates' it becomes offensive to those who never had the opportunity to go to college but have work so hard to put us where we are today. Remember education is not only place where one can learn. You'll be surprised to unlearn those you had learned in college when you work long enough. Always remember to take your seat at the back seat.
  • piokiok,

What an excellent idea.....that's a very good example of what you can do for your country. By the way, just asking myself.....did I come across anything about you saying who's better than who....oops!... I don't think so. Please forgive and forget them posters....

Wish you luck and keep pursuing the great idea....
  • I agree with Mr. piokiok! it shuold be a well plan organization for the FSM graduates,undergraduates or wannabe graduates set jn every available states were there is colleges, Universities, Vocational and Technical shool. in my days I have no one to turn to for help.
  • Piokiok, are you from Pohnpei? I'm guessing from your name. If you need help in he Law, read our FSM Consititution, its the supreme law of our nation, if you need help in medicine, consult with Dr. Isaac, if you need book-keeping talk to Haser Hainrick! I hope this is helpful info.
  • Nahn Piok,
    Thank you for your idea. But let me tell you something, although your idea is brilliant and came out of nice clean heart, it will not work here in FSM. We never had and will never have that sense of oneness. Can't you see how obvious that is. Even on this forum, we hear all these racist comments.
    Bottom line, nobody wishes to help unless they are good friends or are getting paid to do so.
    And Abby, are from Kosrae? For your info, we have hundreds of better Ponapean doctors around...just for yur info.

this is what I am talking about. Racist comments coming out of my mouth automatically.
  • Nahn Piok,
    Thank you for your idea. But let me tell you something, although your idea is brilliant and came out of nice clean heart, it will not work here in FSM. We never had and will never have that sense of oneness. Can't you see how obvious that is. Even on this forum, we hear all these racist comments.
    Bottom line, nobody wishes to help unless they are good friends or are getting paid to do so.
    And Abby, are from Kosrae? For your info, we have hundreds of better Ponapean doctors around...just for yur info.

this is what I am talking about. Racist comments coming out of my mouth automatically.
  • Well, jadu, I'm pure Pohnpeian, for your info, I depend on Dr. Isaac for my health conditions, and I trust him as a doctor although he is from Kosrae, who cares. Don't feed me with your BS about never have that sense of oneness, you just contradicted yourself right there. So what if there are lots of good Pohnpeian doctors you name one for me so I will know. I suggest Dr. Isaac based on personal experience. I also suggested Haser Hainrick, the Public Auditor, you didn't mention if I were from Chuuk, did you? Take back your racist comments.
  • Nahn piok, I agree with you. I'll be the first:

I have a honorary degree in castrating male pigs (usolimat). I believe I'm the best this side of the Mason-Dixie line.

Next???
  • Piokiok...

There is probably some merits to your idea, and I know for sure that the Office of the Scholarship at the National Government would favor and even support such an idea, because they've been trying for years to set up a directory of students overseas, but had come to no avail. Most students on scholarships who failed to maintained their GPAs and those with outstanding loan payments just simply disappeared and stopped informing the office of their whereabouts.

I believe you can start small by first establishing a simple email networking among students attending your college, then slowly work yourself to other colleges where Micronesians attended. Someone or you have to commit yourself to this undertaking because it could be time-consuming, and even cost some money just to set up a networking of email contacts between college students. You have to be good in selling the idea and sending it out to other students. If the idea is to set up the association outside of the FSM borders and in any of the US based colleges in any US territories or even US mainland, then establishing the association could be a bit complex because you would have to deal with some IRS tax-exemption requirements and etc.. (ie proofs of residency or citizenship) and any By-Laws to be established would be subjected to attorney's reviews and legal fees and etc.

If you're thinking about establishing the association to be based within the FSM borders, then the process could be less cumbersome, as long as you have a sizeable number of members. For less or no legal fees, you can set up the association by recruiting members, draft your By-Laws, adopt it and apply for chartering at the Dept of Economic Affairs. The important thing would be to list down the main purpose and delineate the types of activities to be pursued by such as association.

Goodluck!
  • Is this a fly by night or is this for real? I totally support this if this is for real. How to we contribute? Where do we start? When do we start? Come on folks stop yapping and walk the talk!!! This is a very good idea to networking with each other.
  • I am fully support of such topic, However, what is the essential and importance of this? The listing of graducates my best bit is the Scholarship office within each State.
  • I think we can toss out the scholarship thing. Some of us were deprived of FSM scholarships purely because we weren't FSM high school graduates, but are graduates of an high school outside the FSM. At least that was what I was told when I tried to apply for one. But all in all, that should be interesting. As we all know, our employment system in the FSM seem to hire just for the sake of filling the position and not taking into regards what specific field of study the applicant is versed in. This goes equally with our political elections of personnel into the legislative and executive branches of our government. Perhaps, if there is such a data, then we can vote, appoint and hire prospect employees into the right areas and do away with the random placement of personnel into various areas without the slightest relations to their respective field of experts. Perhaps, these are some of the infringing problems leading to poor leadership?
  • Prince...

I understand your qualms against the scholarship program back home, but we have new changes now, with a new capable and young Pohnpeian behind the wheel, with a new student services coordinator beside him. Still wet behind the ears, but have shown promising calibres and abilities to straightening out the mess in scholarship at the national level. They do needed to partake, initiate or even support any attempt to network with college students overseas.

I believe the main intent that Piokiok thrives at is an association of FSM scholars or college students... and that in itself could only be achieve perhaps by using the Internet, after its been established or organized. Piokiok is not quite clear on the purpose of this association, but perhaps until he or she shares it, we could all chip in and help out. It could become an association where the employment agencies in the FSM could benefit in search of potential employees in term of recuitments and stuff.

Hope to see this association materialize some day soon!
  • Snap, what's the guy's name and email address if possible?
  • Turmai...

Although it is public information, I however cannot give it here in this forum for fear of retributions from other visitors or enemies, if he has one. However, if you send your email to this address I shall make sure that he receives it and respond if he has too. Cheers!!!
  • Turmai...

Correction on the email... its segfsm.compact2@gmail.com I hope this help. Sorry for the inconveniences! Cheers...