GI Bill Is Now Transferible

Fellow Micro Service Members,

The extract below is vital information that needs to be disseminated to all your troops in regards to the transferibility of their GI Bills. Knowledge is power.

With the Department of Veterans Affairs ready to begin accepting sign-ups for the Post-9/11 GI Bill May 1, the Defense Department is working to get word out on its proposed policy regarding the bill’s transferability provisions to help servicemembers decide if the new benefit is right for them. Bob Clark, the Pentagon’s assistant director for accessions policy, called the Post-9/11 GI Bill that takes effect Aug. 1 an important new benefit. In addition to providing broader educational benefits, it includes a provision that enables enrollees to transfer their benefits to immediate family members.

This long-sought-after provision is expected to be a boom for the military, Clark said, attracting and retaining the skilled force it needs.

“The Post-9/11 GI Bill is going to be an extremely good benefit to attract bright, young Americans to serve in the military,” he said.

“The transferability is going to be a tool that will allow us to retain members who have earned that great benefit and share it with their family members and continue to serve,” Clark said. “This gives them the opportunity to share those benefits that they have earned with those they love.”

The rules for Post-9/11 GI Bill transferability are in the final stages, and Clark said the Defense Department expects few changes, if any.

In a nutshell, any enlisted or commissioned member of the armed forces serving on active duty or in the Selected Reserve on or after Aug. 1 will be eligible to transfer their benefits – as long as they qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill in the first place and meet specific service requirements, Clark explained.

He emphasized that, by law, anyone who has retired or separated from the service before that date – even if it’s July 31 – won’t be entitled to transfer their benefits. Also excluded will be members of the Individual Ready Reserve and Fleet Reserve.

Most servicemembers who have at least six years of military service as of Aug. 1 and agree to serve an additional four years qualify, he said. But the Defense Department has proposed measures to cover several categories of servicemembers whose circumstances don’t fit neatly into this formula.

For example, those with at least 10 years of service – but who can’t serve an additional four years because of a service or Defense Department policy –also would qualify, Clark said. They must, however, serve the maximum time allowed before separating from the military, he said.

“What we did not want to do was to penalize those people who had a service policy or statute that would not permit them to commit for the full four years,” Clark explained.

Another Pentagon proposal would cover servicemembers who will reach the 20-year service mark, making them retirement-eligible, between Aug. 1, 2009, and Aug. 1, 2013.

Clark explained the breakdown, which basically enables those affected to transfer benefits as long as they complete 20 years of service:

-- Those eligible for retirement on Aug. 1, 2009, would be eligible to transfer their benefits with no additional service requirement.

-- Those with an approved retirement date after Aug. 1, 2009, and before July 1, 2010, would qualify with no additional service.

-- Those eligible for retirement after Aug. 1, 2009, but before Aug. 1, 2010, would qualify with one additional year of service after approval to transfer their Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits.

-- Those eligible for retirement between Aug. 1, 2010, and July 31, 2011, would qualify with two additional years of service after approval to transfer.

-- Those eligible to retire between Aug. 1, 2011, and July 31, 2012, would qualify with three additional years of service after approval to transfer.

The servicemember’s 36 months of benefits – the equivalent of four nine-month academic years – could be transferred to a spouse, one or more children or any combination, Clark said. The family member must be enrolled in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System to receive the benefits.

Servicemembers also have the option to use some benefits themselves and transfer what they haven’t used to one or more family members.

Even after transferring the benefits, they remain the “property” of the servicemember who earned them, who can revoke them or redesignate who receives them at any time.

More details about the Post-9/11 GI Bill are posted on the Defense Department and Department of Veterans Affairs Web sites, and the Pentagon’s proposed transferability policy is on the Defense Department site.

Comments

• Yay..I just filled our my VONAPP three days ago to transfer my leftover benefit from Chapter 30 (Montgomery) to 33 ( Post 9-11). Just don't forget to pay your $600 active duty kicker before you ETS. I don't think I need a job after 1st August which is when the 9-11 is going active considering the (e-5 rate) BAH increase. Now all the dedicated wifes and military children can have some hope toward their future education...is this genious or what?
  • more money out of the taxpayers pockets..boohoo! lol
  • lol..kapang pwed nimen kapis o. We're drowning in debt and investing in the education is a good way to get revive the country. So much for supporting the troops earl. Atleast this is better than the so-called "universal health" plan Obama is trying to push out. What is up with this administration? I had so much hope in the beginning, I just lost 50% of it after the stimulus plan ordeal.
  • eh! how long do you think America become was it was say, 10 years ago? not overnight, nor 3 years..there are sacrifices and risks involved. everyone who knows how it works, should know better. do think believe that if a "republican" would have won the golden seat would do any better? i doubt it. Either one, people will still complain, besides, the media has thrown this waaay out of proportion. slight threads, polished up and flowered up to make the public believe it is JUST not working..ha ha ha. you dont have to believe everything you see on tv. its America after all. right? he's not Jesus, so cut him some slacks.

investment. yes, i agree, but who's paying for all this? people like MUA! agree? thank you. i support beneficiaries who utilizes the benefits wisely, like you and much more out there. hats off to you guys. but the other 3/4, sorry but i'm disappointed.
  • yeah..mwosmwos jongpen armaj. People are getting deperate these days and I can't help but listen to the stupid news because our grandfather here is a hard-core republican and watches Hanity and Glen Beck like a sacred ritual..For your info, we have to put some money down for our GI bill like $1800 and serve atlease 36 months of active duty before we can get the GI Bill (chapter 30). Don't forget that most military people use the Tuition assistant and never get a chance to use their GI bill or just didn't feel like going back to school..either way, we all contribute to this money and the government didn't pay all of it. As for Obama, I'm not sure I can put my whole trust in him but I can say he's definately trying to look out for the lower-income people so that's a plus in my good book.
  • Its, Called Post 911 GI Bill. Basicaly you have to serve 6 years to do such. If you serve 4 or 5 it cant be transferable.

Michael
  • Boo hoo inded Earl...lihndanpei..weak argument.
  • lol@Hannity and Glenn Beck; ever thought why CNN had to cut Glenn from their payroll? and now he's with fox? FYI, fox news is HARDCORE republicans. there are other options with amazing perspectives, dont have to watch whatever your inlaws are watching. just kidding :). okay, great, so you contribute a fraction of the cost, which could possibly cover the processing fees, but in the end, the government (which is, taxpayers) are paying most of it right? that's what i'm trying to get at. do you agree?
  • I need a Card that it can Transfer and Reload either Coupons or Minutes or Money/Credit Internationally like Western Union if supposely you are overseas or in the Mainland. Earl, thanks any ideas?
  • violet, you're too spoiled. :p
  • ok..i'll admit you're right this time earl. In my perspective, the GI Bill is like an insurance..what ever people are putting down is going to the ones that are using it. I don't know the stats but I believe more than 90% or service men and paying GI Bill and not using it while about 30% or that number is actually using it. It's like an insurance company in a way. Everyone is paying but not everyone is getting into wrecks...I'm not sure if you know what I'm getting at. as for the FOX, I don't have much choice here in other people's house and my grandfather-in-law has some hearing issues so the volume is always maxed out..lol..Sometimes i really want to pull my hair out but I'm just a guest so I have to deal with it. What is up with this dude, triscar..seriously, you are one annoying participant..do I know you? People are trying to school me on things I have..man I usually read between lines when it comes to money and school and applies to my situation. aside from that, i don't care much about what the other part is about. I'm sorry but I'm not trying to be a teacher or a reporter.
  • LOL...just be the house wife that you are....
  • tsicar, you are very entertaining..I will not stop writing because of your smart comments. I work full-time but you probably think it's made up so be it. I'll just think of you as one sad guy who doesn't have better things to do other than annoy people who love their lives. Keep it up..
  • Spoken like a true housewife...the defeated tone...crushed under the heel of the opposite/dominant sex.
  • lol...dominant eh? You are barking up the wrong tree..you crushed nothing but your male reputation. You're nothing but a micro-woman hater and you're making a fool our of yourself talking down to your own people. Sad, sad..
  • Lihndanpei, mind tsicar, he just wants you to transfer your GI bill to his name. lol. stop you two. LMAO!
  • koa pwa likamw. wedikidihmene ne sapda kalioasi ngoai. I need his name so I can dig up his background and see if he's really what he's trying to portrait. I've been picked on a lot in the military a lot but I don't mind..they are mad that few women can come in and bend their rules..lol..oh and I'm not stopping til he stops being a jerk..i didn't start this.
  • wei eh e? ah koa, my advice, kill 'em with kindness!!! some may say, obnoxious or over confident but i believe otherwise, you have so much to share with the young micronesian women out here. god speed!
  • This guy thinks my life is a fairy tale..lol..I control my life and bragging is the least of my intentions. I'm here to motivate people...life can be great only if you're smart enough to take the wheel.
  • okay, let me remind you of a fact about some Micronesians, when you're a failure, they talk about you, when you succeed in life, they still talk about. now, what do you do? two choices, suck it up and man your temper or play along. I just avoid telling people about my life, there's no point, its only giving them something to use against me anyways..lol. enjoy this..lol
  • lol..what the heck! that was wicked..poor guy is very serious but the words are way off..man that gives me the tears..hahahaha..very refreshing..damn that was funny. Thanks for the advice, I'll consider it, in the mean time..I'll just torch this guy up just a little more..
  • LOL @ Lihndanpei..my work here is done...
  • edited July 2009
    Earl,

I'm not spoil, I am very poor and need somethings.....I know its a horse sense idea but its helpful and something I could really need, Wireless Money as easy as pie.......
  • uh..but I like to make people crack..now you sound defeated..crushed by the heel of the not-so dominant gender already?
  • Are you kidding?! he's cool and very dominant...hhmm have to find another avenue of "not-so dominant gender" maybe we should get creative and legit.....do you have any ideas? Art Festival, Selling Bodyshop,Reading Stories, or Working at Kenny's Construction?
  • You are very right in taking the Wheel when you are motivated and very intent on your path Lihndanpei. I take mine seriously although maybe too seriously...but sometimes there is happiness.
  • uh? I'm a bit confused violet..I'm just rubbing his words back into his face. I'm a hardcore feminist and I don't take crap from anyone. I'm very serious about my life and it pissed me off when people think I took the easy road. I had to make some sacrifices, bend some rules and break my back to get what I want and it's not that easy..talking and winning never get anything done. The male gender is nothing more than the opposite gender to me..yes, they might be physically stronger but mentally, we're the same. I don't have anything against humble and submissive women, actually, I admire them but it's just not in my blood.
  • lol. tiscar, i dont know about you, but i'm starting to shake here..lol. go easy on the bagging ladies :)
  • I'm starting to sound like a really pissed of woman..uh? Sorry about the harsh words..It's just how I write. I'm going to try to keep it gentle next time earl.
  • **wipes the sweat off my forehead** wheew! thank you Lihndanpei. not too gentle though, i might fall asleep ;)