Sign the Petition to Keep Fr. Fran Hezel, SJ, in Micronesia Where He Belongs! http://goo.gl/8LnxsW
FSM Minimum Wage
  • Anybody gives us update on what is the current minimum wage for the four states in the FSM as of today?
  • it doesn't matter. the minimum wage, if they ever adjust it, will still be way below the poverty level.
  • How much $$$ for traditional food/s at the Wiichap market these days? Can somebody give us a break-down? Like, if a person wanted to visit, and live "like an Egyptian" for ten days or so what would it cost in Chuukese "senis rue me nimu" to shop only local?
  • Minimum wage in the FSM is two coconuts and 1 betel nut without lime and leaf per hour. I am not sure how to covert that into US dollar.
  • So then, based on your calculations, two coconuts and 1 betel nut without lime should cost around $8.40? What a deal!
  • Etikum kon runs between $1.50 to $3.00 depending on availabilty.
    Efou nuu around $0.50 cents,
    Ew pinuk emuch (ten pcs of more than a foot in length) $1.00
    Ew pound ik (both reef and tuna fish) about $ 1.35 lbs

I maybe wrong,
  • hahahaha amazing how you can convert your sales into paper......imagine your paper is the beletnut leaf. You can write on, you can chew, and you can even make into a soup, you can sell and trade for consumer's sales. You are productive now. lol
  • 2 coconut .50 = 1.00
    1 betelenut .25 = .25
    = 1.25 x 8 = 10.00 x 5 = 50.00 x 2 = 100.00 bi/weekly

1 can of satin(crown brand) 1.75-2.50

me work 2 hours in order to buy the can of satin....
    3.5 - 4 days to buy a 50lbs bag of rice....

should be better to become a ATTAKKE MAN.....rather than being a stocker,cahsier and etc at the store.... unless i'am someone who has higher education and will guarantee get the higher position at the state government...with good wages ika fen salary......

• [63] The four state governments have established minimum wage rates for government workers. Pohnpei had a minimum hourly wage rate of $2.00 for government and $1.35 for private-sector workers.a The other three states have established minimum hourly rates only for government workers: $1.25 for Chuuk, $1.49 for Kosrae, and $0.80 for Yap.b The minimum hourly wage for employment with the national government was $2.64.c These minimum wage structures and the wages customarily paid to skilled workers were sufficient to provide a decent standard of living for a worker and family.d The minimum wage was enforced through the tax system, and this mechanism was believed to be effective. e
  • Ina pwaaat sia su seni mai fonuwach Chuuk, pwe ennetin wececharen? Sia fokkun peno ren na niwin ach mu akan ngeni kich. NGE Sipwe chok fokkun IOTEK OH IOTEK oh pwan pusin OTURESI met sipwe manau ren. Sisapw chok nonomw nge ese or ach angang.....RESPONSIBLITY epwe or ren emon me emon. Kosapw ekiekin momot, mour, kunou nge ese or omw responsibility.
    Niwinich non Chuuk Government? Sikan peno ne peno ren neee.....Ina pwaat sia fokkun me suseni fonuwach na iei sia pares fetan won anen kei fonu outresi tufichin nonomuch.
    KINISOU INA AI NA MEMEF
  • AHAHAHAH LOL " AT ALL THE MINIMUM WAGES.... U WANNA FIND A GOOD JOB PLEASE TRY APPLIED PLACES LIKE CONTINENTAL, PUBLIC AFFAIRS CUSTOM AND OOOOOH WHY NOT TRY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN POHNPEI SO U CAN ATLEAST GET 7 HUNDRED SUM OR THOUSNAD BY WEEKLY IF U ARE A MIC OR OIC WERE TALKING ABOUT SIXTY THOUSAND YEARLY SEE ......AHAHHHAHAHAH LASTLY, DON'T BLAME THE GOV'T. BLAME UR PARENTS OR UR SELF FOR NOT FINISHING SCHOOL... OK THANK YOU AND GOOD LUCK ON SELLING MARIJUANA.......LOL
  • One suggestion.. Get a job at a private entity. They pay much better than the Govt. Even if your only a High School Graduate, you can make more than $2.50 an hour!
  • It doesn't matter how much you earn. What matter is how much you save.
  • princess691
    kinisou ren na memef amen fokun ouchea...sipwe chufenuwonong non ach kapet ouchea pwun ina met sipwe chechemeni nupwen ach kuta aninisich ekis meinisin me won ei fonufan... non fonuach nge sia ma' osupwang chon osupwang nge ra tufich chon tufich...

kedewia songen nahn,
    lucky you got good paid at your job... but i will wait for you to come check out the free sample...lol

ice,
    nge a fite iei kan niwinin ew suke,coffee,cream,pinawa,rais,etukum supwa,ew satin.. ai nuku ikei kei mettoch akon nien pwan nap ach sipwe me'ni me non fonuach, ika met?

hossridr,
    hopefully in the near future our leaders will increase the minimum wage to 3.00...
  • laloid,

how can i have saving,if i have huge family let say 6-10 members, and only get paid for 1.00/hr not even the minimum wage?
  • ********STUPIDE*******
  • atepwusenee,

There's no place that would pay you $1.00/hr I assume. Even if you get paid $1.00/hr, you still have your land to live off. It's all about management. How you manage your meager resource to support your family. That's what I do and I believe you can also do it. If you are one of them who get paid a buck per hour, then I would suggest family scheming to help your family to meet our basic living needs (food, clothing, water, and shelter). This is just a thought and I repeat, it doesn't matter how much you earn, saving what you earn is what matter to me.

I don't mean to offend you but I just want you to take this into consideration. Thank you and you have a great weekend!

Vancov,

If you don't have anything to contribute to this thread, please don't waste your time. We are all Micronesians and we need support from each other. I know you have your right to express your feelings but please express it in a manner that is associated to the culture that we were brought up in.

Thanks,

Laloid
  • if FSM is using United States Currencies and almost everyone is dependent on foreign goods, then why is the minimum wage so low? what is the basis of FSMs minimum wage?
  • you are so rite. but unfortunately the politicians will never change such law due to the fact they will not benefit on a personal basis.
  • sine_nomine,

hopefully somebody will gives us answer to your questions...

laloid,

i totally agree with you about what you were mention about management.... hopefully we can develop programs that will shows/help our brothers and sisters to take responsibility for their family and themselves in financial and personal situation in order to success in the future....

and laloid, you too have a save weekend....

vancouv1,
    rananim,ika kashelelie to you mwa....
  • atepwusenee,

You have a great weekend too. Regards to your fam
  • Only Pohnpei State established its minimum wage at $1.35 p/hr and it's working on increasing this amount, since the last administration. The rest including the national government do not have any minimum salary, although they keep the old TTPI's minimum salary at $.80 cents per hour, and this include also the national government.

The common minimum job requirement, except for teachers, is bachelor level. So here you have the picture...bachelor level at $.80cents per hour. Neat uh? And we have the guts to complain about "brain drains"... we should be complaining about "drained brains".
  • JD is a "Brain Drainage route" where manupilative spacetime is used to get accounts either delinquent or charged for dafts...
  • Management is the key. Look at that dude from Kitti. He works his land planting and harvestin sakau and othe crops and sell them. And he got nice house, nice truck and he sure looks healthy. Now, that's what I call self reliant and Ohl tohrohr!
  • Hi I am ex Canadian Living in Australia . Where I looked for places to do business and I am considering opening
    Factories in FSM.
    First of all I apologise if I may seem naive to cultural differences but I believe to make change for good and
    Prosper I will be willing to travel to the end of earth .
    I believe your country has lots to gain and and so do I .
    I plan to export goods and set up solar energy .
    Do you think this will be well responded to?
  • If it is to help FSM Citizens then it would be perfect... but if the primal reason is to make money from the Island itself- that I couldn't answer. I don't know if I'm sensing it right but if it is opening a factory here and selling it some place else then it might work since as you can see the minimum wage here is too low compared to other countries.   
  • What kind of export you have in mind?.what kind of factory?..for more informations.

• Canadian_Indian

There were solar energy company already exist in Mocronesia. If you wouls try your luck go for it. To establish a factory for export, I would recommend that you look into the availible micronesian resources for export first. Example, Taro Plant is one, breadfruit is another, and of course coconut milk, mead, and other parts of the coconut are good products to explore. You need to plan for farming development, production and exports. To find local partners is easy. Find the Micronesian in Guam, Hawaii, and Mainland to help you with more information. Good luck.
  • FSM minimum wage should be follwo California minimum wage 10.00 which will take place next year or so, although 10.00 would be an impossible figure for FSM, but the minimum wage there in Micro should be set for at least 3.00 or 3.50.

Also, are the employees for United Airlines that based on the islands have the same minimum wage per United Airlines base crew in US mainland...anyone care to share the minimum wage for UAL islands base employees?
  • Idefongcy,

The minimum wage for FSM/United Airlines base employees are totally different from the employees in Guam.
    They only get 1.50 and hour. Most jobs at the stations are part time. Thanks.

• reis the minimum weich, kai kan!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Top Posters

1. pekalong 8402
  2. sinbad 4674
  3. ssearcher1 3946
  4. Child_Justice 3366
  5. Ninsei 2601

Who's Online (1)

In this Discussion