What's after military? Dream, but be real.

I see some of the former military folks back home, especially those who served for less than 10 years and most are not doing so well. what about you? are you going to be ready?

Comments

• I have friends who retired at fifty has jobs offers to him, civilian jobs. He's sick and medication covered by Military benefit and might start work as a civilian, now the constroversial issue with this are people who are trying to get ahead and get a job. They look rather regards these kind of people like Alien getting their job, especailly when they are supposely given money to retire yet they still get another civilian's job. If you've heard enough about Mexicans and other National coming to America getting their jobs, well, that is like for Military when they retired and working on the civilian work getting another Amercan's job.
  • going back home to farm and fish and teach. with the fast pace i'm experiencing now, i'm sure i can handle all three.
  • Congratulations to you Mr. Ehmes!

That is a very good combination on all three. I just hope that you would have enough time for the kids you would be or are teaching.

Good Luck
  • edited April 2010
    http://www.gibill.va.gov

Brush & Floss!
  • sun,
    you have a very interesting perspective. i am only curious to know what other options are out there for the former military folks, not the ones serving now. i am not trying to measure anyone, there is no intend for disrespect. i just want military folks to be aware of the future. make sure they are ready when they leave the service. i don't want to see former military folks end up like the few i've met. i want all former military to be ready that's all.
  • edited February 2010
    Going back to FSM is the best choice for all militaries out there. After all, at home is the best.
    [align=right]image
    [/align]
  • watever happened to these people's G.I Bill? and i'm sure while ur in the service you can still get civilian college credit by using the military TA (tuition assistance).. so, i say that is a personal issue.. they shud've done all these so they can get a better job wen they get out.
  • Many of my veteran friends back in the FSM are holding good jobs and seemed happier with life. Few though may have been shaken up after fighting out in the front lines, but other than that, they seemed okey to me. They're giving back their time and services to their own folks. Many decided to live their retirement ages in the U.S. and its territories, but few do come home and started new life.

I wouldn't worry much about them.
  • The only people talking negatively about the veterans are those who will never know what their life was like during the service. At least some of them, while in the service, have seen places that others will only see on maps.
  • i just want to clarify that i am not talking negative about any military members. i salute all military members. here to help, not disrespect.
  • I am half way to my 20's and these are a few of what I've gotten from Uncle Sam in return for my service.

1. Got my GED---during my 1st yr.
    2. saving--$25,000
    3. Completed my Bachelor Degree---8th yr
    4. Travelled the world
    5. Working on my Masters
    6. Beautiful family
    7. 3 kids
    8. paid for medical insur.
    9.secured life insur.
    10.owned house
  • congratulations kauna, i salute you. you have fulfilled the reason for this post. thank you.
  • edited November 2009
    Interesting thread. Although I am not a Micronesian, I am a veteran of another war....the Vietnam conflict. I know what it is like to return home after being in combat. When I returned home to the States, I was greeted with sneers and angry mobs, saying things like "Baby killer" and other epithets. It was madness. Many of my fellow vets still haven't adjusted to civilian life, even after 40 years; many suffering from post trauma syndrome disorder (PTSD).

I was one of the lucky ones. I used my GI bill and got my degree. Bought a house with a Cal Vet loan. Got a good job and just retired about 2 1/2 years ago. I have occasional flashbacks even now, but not as bad as before. That's why I have to keep busy in retirement or I will start thinking about those days again. I can relate to what some of you Micronesian veterans are probably experiencing now, after going through the Iraq and Afghanistan experience. The only one who understand what a combat veteran is going through, in many cases, is another veteran. I just hope that those of you who decide to retire or start working in the FSM take advantage of your GI Bill benefits, especially school.

The main thing is to just keep on truckin' and don't look back. It's ok to reminisce, but you have to keep moving forward.
  • hossridr,
    i appreciate your input and i thank and salute you for your services. again, another good input for this post.
  • sup dexson!

The success of a Soldier during and after his time in the service is entirely up to him/her. I'm still currently in the active component and have seen fellow Micronesians who've came and gone and others who are still in. If the individual Soldier is smart enough to take advantage of the many benefits the military offers then I'm quite confident that they will be ok after their career. It's the ones that party. drink, waste their time and opportunities while serving that tends to go back with nothing but cool stories to tell.

On a completey different note, your name sounds familiar and I'm wondering if your're a fellow CCA Alumni.
  • Dexson,
    Don't ever judge a book by its cover. Get to know them better. Maybe they're in better shape than you are!
  • Spend six years in the active service, two years reserve. Got my undergraduate degree using financial aid and my G.I. Bill. Completed my MBA and now working as a director for a small community college. Veterans, is how you make of what you take out of the military. You don't have to spend twenty years just to receive the retirement pension, although I don't discourage that at all. But if you feel like you need to get out after you have served your time, by all means. You have contributed! Don't let anyone think otherwise! I'm proud of you all!
    Come home! We miss you all!
  • mai nukuolo,
    thank you for adding to the already wonderful postings. all your inputs are true and sadly most of our fellow country men do fall into the party mode when they are in the service. as an active member i encourage you to keep an eye out for them and direct them to the right path. thank you for your service. it is greatly appreciated. as a citizen of FSM, i do appreciate your service. CCA alum 94.

wontuhram,
    believe me, everybody else is in better shape then me. but i'm not judging any books by their covers, i'm simply encouraging everyone in the military to follow the examples of veterans like hossridr and subliminal, and not follow the examples of the many that have served and gotten out and went back and are struggling with finding work.

subliminal,
    you can't see, but i'm standing infront of the computer and saluting you with all my might. showing you how i appreciate your service and how proud i am of the example that you have given the future military members that read this post and see you in person. thank you.
  • the military = the easy way out
  • innominate001,
    based on your recent ignorant posting, i can honestly say you haven't the slightest idea of what you're talking about. The military isn't an easy way out and that's why less then one percent of the entire US is currently signed up. Know your facts first before demeaning the sacrifces fellow islanders in the services and their families have made to carve a living for themselves.

Dex,
    Know that saying, "you can lead a horse to the water but you can't make it drink?" same applies to all our young troops who are leaving home for the first time and indulging themselves with new places, faces, and experiences. One can only hope that they have enough common sense to start investing in their futures early in the game. some will, some won't, some will after they've matured enough but that's just the nature of the beast.

For my fellow islanders currently serving,
    Never lose sight of who you are and where we come from. Better yourselves with the many opportunities provided for you and rep our islands in the best damn way possible through your hardwork, dedication, and of course bbq skills.
  • innominated,

now I find out that you are a loser! there is no easy way out, Millitary is one option we all have to consider compare to our low income here on island.

Dexson, I was in the Millitary before and now Im back on the Island working. Most prior service members are doing fine those that can not get a job are those that I referred to as the "Ate the f*#@k up" soldiers as we always say from the Gun line.

peace..
  • Be fat and lazy! No mo PT at 4:30 am... *naffing* and of course, be jobless and collect disability ...

cj
  • thank you folks, all we can do is point them in the direction that will result in a better future. hopefully the horse will be thirsty enough to drink.
  • the military gives you a place to stay in the states or wherever they sent you, or even better sometimes they'll send you wherever you ask for i.e europe japan south pacific etc. and still they'll even pay for your electricity and water supply..keep in mind that in the states today people pay thousands of dollars to stay in shape..in the military they'll pay you to stay in shape..in the civilian world a normal regular job would be from say 0900 to 0500pm..on holiday you get one day off and thats and the exact date that holiday falls on..in the military they'll give you a extra day and they usually give it to you either the begining or the end of the week..so basically you got 4 days off..you don't do much at work except when you have some training to do..so pretty much you chill..you got a garuntee check every first and 15th of each month..we ain't even talking about benefits here..almost everywhere you go you get a military discount..so why not make it a career and enjoy the benefits of retiring??
  • tukun inut,
    are you a recruiter for military? which branch would you prefer your nieces and nephews sign up for?
  • i would recommend the Air Force but in all honesty i really wouldn't care which one..long as they got a honest job and live a decent life i'm good with that..
  • edited February 2010
    Let me just clear up something here, I didnt like the Millitary nor I hate sitting around doing nuthing. So its all about choices we made for our life. There are good things and bad things about the life in the Arm Forces. Like I mention earlier is all about choice in life. Some people succeed and some fall, same as the life in the civilian world.

So no one fasle here. One last thing here, The Military prepare me in almost everything I need to do after Honorable discharge, not making Military as my career still I survive in the real world to my fullest..

good luck.
  • tukun inut,
    thank you. you're right about having a honest job.

immortal,
    nobody is at fault, we are trying to help out the our and the generation.
  • edited February 2010
    Dexson,

what are you trying to saying here? My point is that we go join the military and luckily;I quote, "LUCKILY", if we are still alive:
    1. we go back to school(make use of the GI bill)
    2. get a job at the police station(Millitary background)
    3. make sure you save up to like $10,000.00 while in the military(home improvment)
    4. or be lazy and end up on the street begging for cigarette stick.

end....

good luck..
  • Dexson Ehmes,
    Why hide behind the mask? Everyone who knows you knew you are in the military. Asking such a question to your fellow servicemen is like Judas betraying jesus. If you know their shortcomings, why not educate them rather than look down on them? I know that you are still in the military, and are doing fine, but eventually you will get out or retire. Since you are so educated, why not start a "veterans rehab program" so that they can find a job once they get out? I don't know about you, but most of the COMBAT veterans are taking advantage of the GI Bill. Oh by the way, have you been deployed to the COMBAT ZONE? If not, I suggest you keep your military comments to the minimum.