Should alcohol consumption in general be prohibited on COM FSM campus or NOT

edited May 2007 in General
I think that moderate consumption of alcohol should be permitted on campus . After all moderate consumption of alcohol does not destroy brain cells,in fact it is often associated with improved cognitive functioning.

Comments

• Unless COM Security or any law enforcement body can effectively control and limit the consumption of alcohol to those of age, alcohol should not be allowed on campus. There is a time and place for everything. Does COM have a lounge or campus bar? If not, then alcohol should not be allowed unless there is some sort of social function in which again, the proper authorities can control and limit the consumption. I don't know if Maksa's statement on the moderate consumption of alcohol not destroying any brain cells holds any water and even the other statement that it is associated with improved cognitive functioning, but none the less, the determining factor of whether alcohol should be allowed should be based on rules and laws, not health facts or myths.
  • I think this question belongs on the COM website, not Micsem. The COM Board of Regents should deal with COM issues. What are they for anyway? Le'ts not burdent the public at large with COM student problems.
  • Clearly, the COM students have proven themselves incapable of handling alcohol, much less drink in moderation. Students had died on campus as results of alcohol related violence, and so as other social disruptions. There is absolutely no need to allow alcohol on campus, because few meters away are stores packed with alcohol drinks and anyone wanting to drink in moderation didn't have to walk great distances to afford such pleasures. The notion of having alcohol or buying alcohol for student consumptions bank on the implication of using their small financial aid money which is clearly insufficient and should only be used for school supplies and needs.

According to a COM staff, there are students attending national campus classes who could barely write English sentences and I think this is more of a critical issue than to ask if they should be permitted to drink alcohol in moderation on campus. Micronesians in general, particularly young ones, cannot handle their drinks, their trashes, their social problems and worse their financial crisis. All these hinge on the notion of allowing moderate drinking on campus. There are far more critical issues on hand at the college than to worry about allowing alcohol. Until COM becomes a university with a literate student population, then perhaps the issue could then be addressed... but for the time being, the college should continue to discipline these young ones into becoming matured first.

This is my take on this issue, and I hope not to see the college even consider this idea.
  • Are you a student or a parent?

Sir/Ma'am have you ever been to COM-FSM National Campus Residence Halls? When you made that statement, where you referring to all COM-FSM campus or the Palikir campus. Well, if you have not been to Palikir campus then please visit and see what life is like when school is out and esp. when it is weekend time. If you are referring to all COM-FSM campuses then you need to rethink your statement, please. Even if the campuses are college level schools, alcohol should NEVER be allowed on campus because it would be an invitation for problems.

I am wondering if there has been any problems at the campuses that is involved alcohol. If the answer is yes, then please stop advocating for making your money on campus just to destroy a school environment..

Say a prayer tonight...

ISD
  • edited May 2007
    Alocohol should be allowed on campus but only in designated areas like the student canteen. Rules should be enacted/enforced to combat public drunkness, disorderly conduct and any other downside of alcohol consumption. Mike P. sum it up nicely on his last sentence.
  • RIMPAC, DO NOT ADVOCATE FOR ACOHOL ON CAMPUS.. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE... DONATE BOOKS OR RECREATIONAL EQUIPMENT, BUT DO NOT ADVOCATE FOR ALCOHOL ON CAMPUS.

NO ALCOHOL ON CAMPUS.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BECAUSE, NO ALCOHOL ON CAMPUS, BECAUSE RIMPAC CAN NOT HANDLE STUDENTS WILL CONTINUE TO KILL EACH OTHER AND THE GIRLS WILL START LEAVING CAMPUS BECAUSE THEY WILL NOT FEEL SAFE ANY MORE..

NO ALCOHOL, NO ALCOHOL.... RIMPAC SEND THEM SODAS... *HEHE
  • Prohibit only the rowdy Chuukese students. Unbelieveable. 99% of alcohol related fights involve Chuukese students. They study less but drink more.
  • Or better yet, flunk them out these unbelievable 99% and send them back to where they crawl from. They are bad apples spoiling the basket.
  • Good apples speak diplomatically in most manner in public.
  • To make my point so bluntly, NO! Why would anyone want to be intoxicated in a place of learning. Imagine if you will, teahcers who had too much, letting go of thier inhibitions and harrasing young ladies. (or vice versa..) This post is just completely and utterly dumb and should be closed. All in favor say "report post!"
  • What is this attack on Chuukese again? Can't you just discuss the issue without jumping on other people's throats? Every time an issue is discussed, some people start to accuse others. Who is perfect anyway? The issue here is whether or not alcohol consumption should or should not be allowed on COM-FSM campus. Chuukese or non Chuukese will equally be treated under one rule. Chuukese, you stay out of this. Do not even think you are going to defend yourselves by badmouthing again in this forum. Let Abby say all the bad things she wants. She probably has some grudges against Chuukese. Let her air it out now before she falls down from hyper tension.Palikir, you are such a traitor. 99.9% of your blood is as black-red as a Chuukese. You don't even look like a Pohnpeian. You look more like a Chuukese with that cunning look on your face. Peace....
  • No amount of rules and regulations regarding alcohol will stop a student from drinking. talk all you want enforce the law strictly but if a student wants to drink he/she will do so. been there seen the hows and everything else. its all up to oneself to drink or not to drink alcohol. alcohol is ban on campus as everyone knows. state or the national alcohol is ban. but still students are drinking and bringing in alcohol. allowing alcohol on campus is not a good idea but at the same time good to some. lol! this may sound crazy to some but yea this whole topic is crazy too. most of the troubles that rouse on campus are caused by students consumed in alcohol. so the question is how can we stop this kind of behaviour?? i think first of one must ask him/herself first....but anyways i think the government should limit the quantity of alcohol beverages coming in to the nation.
  • Hi Keta. I only have a suggestion to minor racists like these. BAN them from MICSEM! They don't have a
    reason for airing their dirty laundry on this forum. We prefer educational issues, not racial issues amongst our beloved FSM brothers and sisters. I just about had enough of these people!

Thank you and may god blesses us all.
  • WOW, WHO IS ADVOCATING FOR ALCOHOL ON CAMPUS? MAKSA, ARE YOU A BUSINESS MAN OR A STUDENT? WHAT IS YOUR INTENTION FOR ADVOCATING FOR USAGE OF ALCOHOL ON CAMPUS?

Maksa, please explain why you are advocating for alochol usage on campus. I maybe mistaken, but I am sure the campuses have had their own share of problems because of alcohol usage.
  • Alcohol is not permitted on all COM Campuses, you guys should visit the COM Website www.comfsm.fm all what you need are in there.
  • Microisland.com is a good place to get down and beat up somebody. You all should try it out.
  • I am not a parent,a student nor am I a business man. I know that alcohol is in fact a problem all over the world , not only in Micronesia. I also know that students are there to learn in our higher institution of learning known as COM FSM. The environment of that institution should be enjoyable to an extend as any other higher institution.Like I mentioned up here, moderate consumption of alcohol is the suggestion. If the students can't figure out what moderate consumption of alcohol is then educate them, they're there to learn. The more they'll learn the better they'll become as repsonsible students.
  • Art, music, sports, and etc..etc are seriously lacking otherwise at minimal level of existence at the COM national campus. Study groups, extra curricular activities and even community-based activities are also lacking. The list of alternative course of events which could stimulate the students cognitive, mental and physical abilities is long, and I think the dean and the president, as well as the faculty should look into ways to explore and implement these activities on campus to divert boredom and laziness which came up with the idea of a moderate drinking of alcohol on campus.

There are places, just few yards away from the campus where, if a student or group of students reaching the age of drinking, they could congregate or just visit for a drink or two. At the present times, students got drunk and went in the camp to create chaos which indicated their apparent inabilities to handle their drinks like adults. Students been stabbed to death on campus which is alcohol related violence. This alone speaks loudly about how it should be completely banned on campus with stricter measures.
  • Many Micronesian youth like to drink in excess...or maybe more accurately...they rarely drink in moderation.

So the first issue would be that very few would agree to a moderate drinking limit. Secondly, it would be very difficult to enforce the regulations. I don't know what the rules are on drinking at the moment, but from what i know, it is an issue that has never been dealt with with success.

With that said, these are college students. Young adults. To expect them to be all sober everytime would be wishful thinking.

Perhaps more extracurricular activities should be promoted to make them busy. I'm not familiar with the extracurricular programs there, but focusing on promoting sports activities, cultural events, community service projects, and so on would possibly be an effective way of combating the issue.

And maybe institute strict rules against drinking. Severe penalties for those involved in alcohol-related incidents. Expulsion from the college perhaps. Or some sort of community service. Or both. Just so the students can examine their drinking habits and be open to improving them.
  • If that's all the cases, let's quit with the word "alcohol" but let's think with the word "sakauen pohnpei". Isn't that more better? Regarding to the question by masksa, alcohol is not allow. I remember once during a drug and awarness week that students against the policy that provided by the school, so they are trying some alternatives ways to get the administrators attention on pursuing them to allow alcohol on campus which is not approve. Then when they tried to show sakauen pohnpei in their skit, it seems that all "two thumps up".
  • Alcohol does not belong in any of our learning institutions. In the case of COM, state or national, it should be prohibited, if it is not already. Students who like to consume may do as please but not on any of the campuses.