JEMCO Meeting in Pohnpei Next Week?

Can anyone confirm that there will be a JEMCO here in Pohnpei next week? I heard the three American JEMCO people will be flying here next week and there will be a JEMCO meeting to discuss teacher certification and infrastructure? Does anyone have the details of the meeting so we can attend from the states?

Comments

• edited November 2015
    SOURCE SAYS 1 GUY IN WEDNESDAY - OUT SATURDAY. NOT 100% CONFIRMED.
  • Is the meeting taking place in Pohnpei or did it happen already
  • Wow, it's about time that the JEMCO reps. from both U.S and FSM will face to face and split out sensible words to bring about mutual understanding on the important agenda of this meeting. Good luck FSM reps. and get your ammunitions ready
  • The last meeting was on Sept 1, 2015 in Hawaii.

Is this a special meeting or anything urgent for this meeting?

Hope JEMCO releases the remains unexpended Infrastructure funds to create more jobs...badly need 'em to stimulate economy...

Hope JEMCO changes its mind & release the remaining $7.7 million dollar for the Weno road project. The Saipan-based contractor is waiting & ready to complete the project.

Here's the result of the last meeting.

On September 1, 2015, the Joint Economic Management Committee or JEMCO held its annual meeting in Honolulu, Hawai’i. At the meeting JEMCO approved three grant allocation resolutions.

The FSM request for the sector grants, excluding infrastructure, was $52,168,585 but only $50,835,415 was approved by JEMCO. The education and health budgets have been granted in full while cuts were made to the public sector capacity building, private sector development, and environment sectors. The FSM JEMCO members stressed that the impact of these cuts, in what appear to be small grants, will be large at the State level. The committee’s final decision to cut funding to these sectors reflects a lack of sensitivity to the economic and financial situation in the States.

While the allocations to the education and health sectors are welcome and appear to be full grants, the FSM is disappointed that the previous 10 percent in operational grants allocated to the National Government, which the FSM Congress has redistributed to the States through amendment to the distribution formula in FY2015, have not been allowed by the US to be passed through to the operational budgets of the States. This withholding of $4 million in much needed funds to the States at a time of economic and financial stress is not in line with the spirit of the Amended Compact. The FSM National Government is hopeful that for the FY2017 budget, JEMCO will increase the operational budgets of the States to the full amount they are entitled to under the Amended Compact.

The FSM requested a grant of $66.5 million for its infrastructure program. This grant was to implement the first year of projects, as prioritized by the States, in the updated Infrastructure Development Plan 2015. The Plan is currently being finalized for endorsement later this month. However, the JEMCO resolution only provided for three projects – two in Pohnpei and one in Chuuk, totaling $16 million, which will be available after the Plan is completed. FSM National Government sees this as stalling the country’s economic recovery.

For the prior year unallocated sector grant assistance, the FSM States had requested $12,360,052 in project grants, but only $8,736,340 of grants are being approved by JEMCO. Once again, the withholding of funds from the States when every dollar counts towards their economic recovery, does not sit well with the FSM National Government

Overall, the FSM was disappointed in the reaction of JEMCO to the urgent needs of the FSM. Our focus was on growing the economy by creating jobs through reinstating the infrastructure program and full allocation of FSM budget requests. The outcome on the other-hand, fell short of the FSM needs. While the FSM appreciates the focus on the social sectors, it is struggling to understand JEMCO’s strategy for achieving the key objectives of the Amended Compact of economic sustainability and budgetary self-reliance for FSM.

For more detailed information about the 2015 Annual JEMCO meeting, please contact the FSM Compact Management Division at (691) 320-6260.
  • First and foremost before we ask for a increase lets fix the hole the big hole beneath the bucket which is Chuuk. Unless this hole is patched up then why ask for more when the hole is still there. One of the holes within the hole is the road project that keeps leaking.
  • While the US sector funds are used for education, health and infrastructure programs/projects, the FSM Congress should use its annual fishing right fees for economic development projects and those infrastructure projects that are not qualified for sector funding instead of wasting the fishing right fees for political projects or non-sustainable projects. The FSM should also take advantage of the assistance provided by the foreign governments and institutions like japan, china, EU, ADB, and others. The way I see it, the problem is not lack of monies but lack of capabilities to utilize these funds properly.
  • sorry folks please can someone enlightened this out dated shmuck if there is a clear provisions in the amended compact that spells out that USA to withhold money agreed to provide in case there is a drainage hole that these money being flushed through? Just like to know that's all friends?
  • What are you saying??? Isn't this what is happening?
  • I think that provision is the establishment of JEMCO...
  • so if that is the case then you mind sharing that provisions agreed by FSM/USA which gives JEMCO (majority member) full power and rights to withhold the money that I've been hearing held by US interior or what is the real connection there so to speak?
  • I don't know much about COFA terms but here's a section that might be relevant.

PUBLIC LAW 108–188—DEC. 17, 2003

(a) Regulations and policies normally applicable to United
    States financial assistance to its state and local governments, as
    reflected in the Fiscal Procedures Agreement, shall apply to each
    sector grant described in section 211, and to grants administered
    under section 221 below, except as modified in the separate agreements
    referred to in section 231 of this Compact, as amended,
    or by United States law. The Government of the United States,
    after annual consultations with the Federated States of Micronesia,
    may attach reasonable terms and conditions, including annual
    performance indicators that are necessary to ensure effective use
    of United States assistance and reasonable progress toward
    achieving program objectives. The Government of the United States
    may seek appropriate remedies for noncompliance with the terms
    and conditions attached to the assistance, or for failure to comply
    with section 234, including withholding assistance.

TITLE TWO
    ECONOMIC RELATIONS
    Article I
    Grant Assistance
    Section 212 Accountability
  • Kalahngan en komwi maing nesianlore pwehki sawas kamarain komw ketin share with us people who do not know but surely deserves the rights and the like what you just shared above. Now, I think I can ask myself, this is so clear as it must have specified in the amended compact and yet our leaders who signed on stumble over the fact that they are one who made this strong commitment with the United States on how it empowered the financial assistance how is it going to be realized? So, if this is the case, then our leaders of this nation should not blame US for doing what's its doing but rather seek other possible ways to see if US can be flexible and at least consider other options rather than trying to confuse the people like myself. I am not smart person but in just reading that clear provision, I think something might have kept our leaders or re-negotiators of the compact to overlook such clause
    "The Government of the United States, after annual consultations with the Federated States of Micronesia, may attach reasonable terms and conditions, including annual performance indicators that are necessary to ensure effective use of United States assistance and reasonable progress toward achieving program objectives."

The strong bolts is that "The Government of the United States
    may seek appropriate remedies for noncompliance with the terms and conditions attached to the assistance, or for failure to comply with section 234, including withholding assistance."

My crazy thinking says, if I give you the right to guard my sea and airspace or free land use, you still have control of what you're giving me?

• edited November 2015
    Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to humbly ask our representatives to address in the JEMCO Meeting educators concern regarding the issue on Teacher's Contract here in FSM. I will withheld my presentation on this issue awaiting your position regarding Teacher's Contract in line with the Public Service System Regulations ( PSSR )we've been utilizing it since the creation of the constitutional government here in Pohnpei.

Ni wahu,
    asaf
  • Joint Economic Management Committee (JEMCO)

The Joint Economic Management Committee was established to strengthen the management and accountability of economic assistance provided under the Amended Compact.

JEMCO Duities:

1) Review the development plans and other planning and budget documents of the government, and monitor the progress made by the government toward sustainable economic development and budgetary self-reliance in relation to its written goals and performance measures;

2) Consult with providers of United States Federal Grant programs and services and other bilateral and multilateral partners to monitor the use of development assistance from all sources as it relates to the allocation of financial assistance under the Compact, as amended;

3) Review Audits called for in the Compact, as amended, or this Agreement and actions taken or being taken to reconcile problems and qualified findings;

4) Review performance outcomes and other reported data in relation to the previous year's Grant funding levels, terms, and conditions;

5) Review and approve Grant allocations, performance objectives, and, where appropriate, assessment tools, for the upcoming year;

6) Review and approve any change proposed by the government to the sectors to receive economic assistance set forth in Title Two of the Compact, as amended;

7) Evaluate progress, management problems and any shifts in priorities in each sector, and identify ways to increase the effectiveness of United States assistance;

8) Review quarterly trust fund investment reports;

9) Comment on the comprehensive report prepared by the government as required by sections 214 and 215 of Title Two of the Compact, as amended, before it is submitted to the President of the United States; and

10) Attach special conditions to any or all annual Grant awards to improve program performance and fiscal accountability, and ensure progress toward macroeconomic goals.

====================================

In my cracked coconut opinion, JEMCO has FAILED to:

* Objectively evaluate FSM's progress/
    failures, management problems/issues and any shifts in priorities in each sector & help FSM improve, correct and/or constructively address any or all the issues facing FSM

* Address the slow progress made by the FSM government toward sustainable economic development and budgetary self-reliance in relation to its written goals and performance measures;

* Identify ways to increase the effectiveness of United States assistance;

* Attach special conditions to any or all annual Grant awards to improve program performance and fiscal accountability, and ensure progress toward macroeconomic goals.

* Fully understand that any additional withholding of compact funds is not only counterproductive but also a major hindrance to FSM's economic development.

* Fully understand that inadequate or poor infrastructures and high transportation costs impedes a nation's economic development

* Creatively & seriously collaborate and help FSM identify ways to address all the issues affecting & preventing FSM from achieving or moving toward some kind of a sustainable economic development & budgetary self-reliance
  • What if Mr. FSM doesn't want to listen to Mr. Jemco and take into careful consideration and investigate the root cause of all this mess we're in? The JEMCO withholding funding is an effect of this cause...
    The FSM frustration is the effect of JEMCO not acting to release project fundings. It's very true every day that those projects are being delayed are costing someone somehere dearly...
    Solutions is what's needed. That's why we have tough, experienced, educated and hopefully reasonable people there to solve these kinds of problems.
  • Thanks searcher. Like I said, not much of an expert, I just think when it comes to exercising rights, we have every right to exercise our right to the fullest extent of the law. But we mustn't abuse that right...today we have a right to use funding as appropraite under law or agreement. And they have the right to use our land sea airspace per law or agreement. But this rights should not be abused. We still have control over our land, sea, air space and they still have control over their funding.

This is where US has to be very careful. Our economy is very still very weak and small. Almost non existent. A few disruptions and delays and disturbances could be very fatal. While if we withheld their rights to all access free- it might not even ruffle their feather (economy). Would it be the same for us? Like someone said "I can put my canoe on your carrier but not your carrier on my canoe".