Any official or semi-official results of elections from all 4 FSM states

If official or unofficial but credible results of the national election are available, is it possible for somebody to post them in this Forum? Thanks.

Comments

• Here is a site that shares the 2019 Unofficial Election Results.
    https://mstarsinfo.joomla.com/index.php
  • klevo, thanks. Very much appreciated.
  • FSM election 2019 certified results 11 Mar 2019

On March 8, 2019 the FSM National Election Office published the certified results of the FSM 2019 national election.

Kosrae State has two senators in the Congress. For the four-year at-large seat, Vice President Yosiwo P. George received 1,824 votes while challenger Aren B. Palik received 1,814 votes.

For the two-year seat, the incumbent Paliknoa K. Welly received 2,130 votes while challenger Johnson A. Asher received 1,491 votes.

Pohnpei State has four senators in the Congress. For the four-year at-large seat, President Peter M. Christian received 6,716 votes while the incumbent, David W. Panuelo, received 6,775 votes.

For Pohnpei Election District One, representing Kolonia, Sokehs, Sapwuahfik, Nukuoro, and Kapingamarangi, the incumbent Ferny Perman received 2,396 votes while challenger Dr. Merlynn Abello-Alfonso received 2,136 votes.

For Pohnpei Election District Two, representing Madolenihmw and Kitti — which had four candidates — the incumbent Dion G. Neth received 2,054 votes, while challengers Berney Martin, Herman Semes Jr., and Quincy Lawrence received 1,082 votes, 984 votes, and 942 votes respectively.

For Pohnpei Election District Three, representing Nett, U, Mwoakilloa, and Pingelap, the incumbent Esmond B. Moses received 2,543 votes while challenger Marstella Jack received 1,155 votes.

Chuuk State has six senators in the Congress. For the four-year at-large seat, the incumbent Wesley W. Simina received 15,941 votes while challenger Eriano E. Eram received 3,356 votes.

For Chuuk Election District One, representing the Mortlock Islands, the incumbent Florencio S. Harper ran unopposed; he received 2,727 votes.

For Chuuk Election District Two, representing Weno, the incumbent Victor Gouland ran unopposed; he received 1,787 votes.

For Chuuk Election District Three, representing Tonoas, Uman, Fefan, Parem, and Tsis, the incumbent Derensio S. Konman received 4,599 votes while challenger Eflove F. Mailos received 2,256 votes.

For Chuuk Election District Four, representing Tol, Fanapanges, Eot, Patta, Polle Romalum, Udot, and Wonei, the incumbent Tiwiter Aritos received 4,938 votes while challengers Smith K. Paulus and Manuel Rawit received 245 and 555 votes respectively.

For Chuuk Election District Five, representing the Halls & Western Islands, and Namonuito — which had five candidates running — the incumbent Robson U. Romolow received 1,083 votes, while challengers Arisao Aichem, Joseph Konnor Jr., Dr. Vidalino J. Raatior, and Zander Refilong received 353, 182, 684, and 461 votes respectively.

Yap State has two senators in the FSM Congress. For the at-large seat, the incumbent Joseph. J Urusemal ran unopposed; he received 2,371 votes. For the two-year seat, the incumbent Isaac V. Figir received 2,225 votes while challenger Fidelis Thiyer-Fanoway received 244 votes.

In addition to the voting of the FSM’s elected representatives, all voters were asked to voice their opinion on whether or not the FSM should hold a Constitutional Convention. Under FSM law, every ten years this referendum reappears and 75 percent of the population in 75 percent of the FSM states must consent for such a convention to occur.

In Kosrae State, 1,476 voters said yes to a Constitutional Convention and 480 voters said no;

in Pohnpei State 5,948 voters said yes to a Constitutional Convention and 2,790 voters said no;

in Chuuk State 1,283 voters said yes to a Constitutional Convention and 1,656 voters said no;

and in Yap State, 1,064 voters said yes to a Constitutional Convention and 1,262 voters said no.

http://www.mvariety.com/regional-news/111210-fsm-election-2019-certified-results
  • The referendum proposal was approved by 61% of voters, meaning that a Constitutional Convention will be held. Any proposals for constitutional amendments will be put to a future referendum.

An independence referendum was scheduled to be held in Chuuk State on the same day, but was postponed.
  • The Chuukese voters did not understand the Yes or No vote, most of them thought they were voting for Secession. That is the prevailing word on the coconut wireless.
  • The ConCon almost did not pass. I wonder if most people voted No to ConCon in Chuuk because they were thinking that it was the separation vote. Or they know that this is the vehicle that will legally allow Chuuk to leave the FSM. Yap is just Yap. They'd vote No on anything.
  • I thought 75% approval in 75% of the state's is required for passage.
  • It is very interesting that Chuuk with over 15,000 ballots cast for the 4-year seat only had 3,000 voters making a definitive decision on this question. And they are the ones who have been fighting over the question of separation. And the way the FSM Constitution stands,
    secession is not permitted.
  • Let me post the Constitutional provision for analysis but I think you might be right.
  • OK. The 3/4 language is for Section 1. Section 2 only requires majority. So ConCon was indeed passed on March 5. We now need to vote for delegates in 2 years (next regular election for 2-year members of Congress) or earlier if Congress funds it.

ARTICLE XIV
    Amendments

Section 1. An amendment to this Constitution may be proposed by a constitutional convention, popular initiative, or Congress in a manner provided by law. A proposed amendment shall become a part of the Constitution when approved by 3/4 of the votes cast on that amendment in each of 3/4 of the states. If conflicting constitutional amendments submitted to the voters at the same election are approved, the amendment receiving the highest number of affirmative votes shall prevail to the extent of such conflict.

Section 2. At least every 10 years, Congress shall submit to the voters the question: "Shall there be a convention to revise or amend the Constitution?". If a majority of ballots cast upon the question is in the affirmative, delegates to the convention shall be chosen no later than the next regular election, unless Congress provides for the selection of delegates earlier at a special election.
  • Microspring2014,
    Factsmatter

So I stand corrected. Per microsecond 2014 post, a simple majority of the ballots cast in the affirmative leads to holding a constitutional convention.

The language used in the news article confused me. The last sentence before the results of the question on the referendum states:

"In addition to the voting of the FSM’s elected representatives, all voters were asked to voice their opinion on whether or not the FSM should hold a Constitutional Convention. Under FSM law, every ten years this referendum reappears and 75 percent of the population in 75 percent of the FSM states must consent for such a convention to occur."

Sorry if I confused and/or misled anyone.
  • It's Microspring2014 not Microsecond 2014. This is in reference to Arab Spring. When I joined in 2014, I was hoping to have our own Arab Spring (albeit bloodless one) by changing all corrupt leaders. It's been about 5 years and corruption still reigns. I guess I will continue to wish for lack of corruption (or minimal because corruption will always be there). I guess I will have to just run for public office one of these days.
  • On a different matter and for what it's worth: So 6,775 + 6,716 =13,491 votes; differences: 59.
    10% = 1,349.
    1%=134.9.
    1/2%=67.45.
    difference=59 which is less than half of one percent.
    It can trigger a recount but if it's not requested, then, it's probably a mute issue. Or, maybe my calculation could be wrong.
  • Your calculation is absolutely right but you are again right that the aggrieved party with recognized standing (i.e. Christian) has ostensibly decided not to pursue. Remember, the automatic recount proviso was only in the old law. The 2006 version that repealed and replaced (Trump's failed plan for Obamacare) the old law and the new law seems to give recount/re-vote option to any situation where there is ground. So if the difference is big like between Moses and Jack (not close to old percentage in the old law), recount/re-vote can still be ordered if supported by proper facts.
  • The differences between the votes for Aren and George is 10. So it's reported that Aren had already asked for a recount. If the recount causes change in the winning candidate, then, we'll have an interesting scenario at the national political stage. Simina could be President; Panuelo as Vice; Urusumal as Speaker.

Clearly Aren is qualified to hold any of these offices, however, he would be the most junior--so we'll see how the politics with that kind of consideration will play out. On the other hand, if George were to maintain his lead, then, it'll be George as Pres; Panuelo as Vice; and Simina as Speaker. We'll see.
  • This is a clear explanation image
  • Now Marc, don't rely too much on your logic and good sense in predicting who the future appointees will be. This is our government you are talking about, where logic and good sense are seldom used.
  • z, you're right but since the election of the FSM President happens once every 4 years, I think this is an opportune time to look at the details of the FSM Constitution and election laws when it comes to the election of the 4-year candidates. Actually, I thought that the "less than 1/2 percent" provision would automatically trigger a recount. But as "microspring2014" explains the process, that provision was removed/changed. So now, the aggrieved party has to explicitly request for a recount--it's not automatically triggered.

I think it means that in the case of Christian where the differences between the top vote getter (Panuelo) and the next (Christian) is less than half of one percent, that is good enough justification to request for a recount. Other than that, any request for recount will have to have merit; which might also have to be decided by the Court.

Since Christian did not ask for a recount, then, it's a mute issue. On the other hand, Palik has asked for a recount as it is his right to do so. His and George's difference is 10; total votes casted is 3,638. 1% is 36.30. 1/2% is 18.16. As such, I think Palik has justification to ask for recount.

Having said all of that, I hope microspring2014 can evaluate the Kosrae situation and let us know if Palik's request has met the threshold for a recount.

I think it's important to get the duly elected people seated in these highest offices in the land. FSM Constitution gives us the map for it. Just my take.
  • imagethanks, i will have a look at it