Republican Governors Rebuke Trump’s Claims on Coronavirus Testing

Mar 31st, 2020

Republican governors Larry Hogan (MD) and Mike DeWine (OH) contradicted President Donald Trump’s claim that there are no more coronavirus testing problems throughout America.

In a Monday conference call between Trump and rural state governors, Trump claimed that, “I haven’t heard anything about testing being a problem,” bragging, “We’ve tested more now than any nation in the world. We’ve got these great tests and we’ll come out with another one tomorrow that’s, you know, almost instantaneous.”

When Hogan spoke to NPR’s Morning Edition Tuesday to discuss his state’s coronavirus response, he was asked for his reaction to Trump’s claim that testing problems have all been fixed.

“Yeah, that’s just not true,” Governor Hogan said. “I know that they’ve taken some steps to create new tests, but they’re not actually produced and distributed out to the states. So it’s an aspirational thing and they have taken they’ve got some new things in the works, but they’re not actually out on the streets.”

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/republican-governors-rebuke-trumps-claims-on-coronavirus-testing-theres-no-question-we-need-more/

Comments

• FM, I believe you are living in the US mainland; so you have access to more updated information about this subject matter.

But there is another side to the matter. It's reported that there are hundreds of thousands of testing kits that have been made available to the states--government hospitals, labs, etc.--but they remain unused.

The problem is that these facilities are so used to a certain brand or type of testing equipment or protocols. So they always choose to use the equipment/instruments/chemicals that they are familiar with. They send the tests to certain analytical labs that they have been used to using for years and years.

With the ramping up of the test kits productions, there are a lot of different brands of tests kits--that will do the job of providing test results. Some are so effective and fast that you can get results in less than an hour.

The challenge now is for the State governments--and with additional assistance from the federal agencies such as FEMA, CDC, and others--to encourage hospital and clinic staff to use these other brands of test kits.

Once these many different brands of test kits are used, it should alleviate the problem. As noted earlier, the US was able to test thousands of Americans in 8 days than South Korea was able to test in 8 weeks. More education and familiarization will need to be provided--by the State authorities, the chemical companies and others.
  • Marc says:

It's reported that there are hundreds of thousands of testing kits that have been made available to the states--government hospitals, labs, etc.--but they remain unused.

And I ask, where is it reported?

Marc also says:

The problem is that these facilities are so used to a certain brand or type of testing equipment or protocols. So they always choose to use the equipment/instruments/chemicals that they are familiar with. They send the tests to certain analytical labs that they have been used to using for years and years.

And I ask, what is the source of your claims? And what are "these facilities" you refer to?

Marc again says:

As noted earlier, the US was able to test thousands of Americans in 8 days than South Korea was able to test in 8 weeks.

To which I say, look in the thread regarding the USS Roosevelt aircraft carrier and you will learn, or you can learn by clicking on the link below, that this last statement by Marc is simply bullshit.

https://khn.org/news/fact-check-trumps-boast-about-u-s-south-korea-coronavirus-testing-misses-the-mark/

Make America GAG Again. Keep America GAGGING.
  • I wish I could laugh out loud, vf. It just seems that the future is too sad for laughter.
  • It's not bullshit, SC. According to CNN fact checker on, March 26: Dr. Birx said "We now have 370,000 tests that have been done. The majority of those -- over 220,000 in the last eight days, which, those of you who have been tracking the South Korea numbers, put us equivalent to what they did in eight weeks that we did in eight days".

I am sure by now, the numbers of the tests in the US have increased even much more.
  • So, you say that the raw number is not relevant; that the US should have tested more because it has more people. That is true too. It should be noted that South Korea, being the neighbor of China, was exposed earlier; thus they started their testing early.

But for me, I am talking about the number of people--not number relative to the population because not all the people in the population need to be tested. That has been clear from the US administration. Only those that show credible sign of the symptoms would be tested--in order to not waste tests which will be done only for those who are seriously ill.

But by now, with the tests kits being available readily everyday, very soon everybody who wants a test will get one. We, in Micronesia, might order some tests kits to be sent in by the once-a-week Untied flight; or by the cargo private plane that brings supplies in 3 times a week. We'll see now that Guam has over 50 positive cases; we'll need to bring in the tests kits; so anybody who wants one can get one.
  • Eight days as against 8 weeks. Did you read the Kaiser article? Did Kaiser use old test data from the US against the highest eight weeks from South Korea? You set the terms, and then you move the goal posts. Trumpist bullshit.

Make America GAG Again.

On 02/26 there were NO DEATHS. How many deaths can you Trumpists claim due to failing to test on time and thoroughly? As of now, over 4,000 deaths in the last five weeks!

Must be Obama’s fault. Mitch McConnell blames the impeachment. Blame anybody but your Great Leader.

Bullshit.

Make America GAG Again. Keep America GAGGING!
  • “Everybody who wants a test can get one.” Isn’t that the same bullshit your Great Leader was claiming weeks ago? Why can’t the governor of Montana get any of those? Not trying hard enough? Too hard to compete with US Navy aircraft carriers? Because he, like that “woman” from Michigan, is a Democrat?

Marc says “I’m not a Republican.” Right. And I’m not an old man.

Bullshit.

Make America Gag Again. Keep America GAGGING!
  • SC, it's not bullshit. Here is a title from the Washington Examiner: "Birx: 'Disappointing' that half a million coronavirus tests not being used'."
  • So much for our great Coronavirus testing program. 160,000 tests with no results due to lack of capacity and skill on the part of one private sector lab.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/politics/testing-backlog-coronavirus-quest-invs/index.html
  • Thanks for banning travel to china in when the news of this virus broke out. Thanks to Trump leadership private companies are stepping up to help.

True leadership. Didn't sleep like the last one did in Benghazi.